Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downjim

Ambrose name me young people who you think should take over or would want to? Give us some answers

Ambrose

Quote from: downjim on June 11, 2018, 11:50:39 AM
Ambrose name me young people who you think should take over or would want to? Give us some answers

Honestly don't have the answers Jim, but we are setting ourselves up for failure time and again by allowing the same people to continue unchallenged. You won't attract new people the way things currently stand.
People like me refuse to contribute financially for obvious reasons and as you stated in your previous post players are staying away for one reason or another. I took a walk down to the Point v KIlcoo game recently and not one of those players, the current top two in the league are represented at county level. It was a cracking game, both sides showed plenty of fight, literally and no one bats an eyelid when these same players don't want to play for the county?

The sad thing is that I can guarantee that we will be having the same conversation this time next year as nothing will have changed.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

gaaman2016

County finances should be greatly improved now that the clubs are paying off their debt. The makeup of the county board makes it very difficult to replace anyone

elk

Quote from: downjim on June 11, 2018, 11:42:51 AM
Kane, dabs, McGovern, McAleenan, Aaron Brannigan, Choc, Mallon, Quinn, Morgan, Brady,O'Hare, PD, McArdle, Magee, McGarry

A team from Downs top 4 teams not playing yesterday
Is that Magee from the bridge or one of the ones from CPN?

downjim

Our PR is really poor and we need that to improve. We need to sell ourselves better. The Bridge and CPN for example seem to be really good at this. Half of it is probably crap but open the local papers this week and I guarantee there will be at much about those two clubs than Down itself. The Point with Feile stuff and the Bridge prancing big Leo about.

downjim

Quote from: elk on June 11, 2018, 12:59:02 PM
Quote from: downjim on June 11, 2018, 11:42:51 AM
Kane, dabs, McGovern, McAleenan, Aaron Brannigan, Choc, Mallon, Quinn, Morgan, Brady,O'Hare, PD, McArdle, Magee, McGarry

A team from Downs top 4 teams not playing yesterday
Is that Magee from the bridge or one of the ones from CPN?

Either or, two good players

Can any Magpie poster tell us why the Brannigans won't play for Down, McCorry could not even get them. Kilcoo have not have many marquee county players in their history . I may be wrong but have Kilcoo any senior All Ireland winners?

thebar

Quote from: downjim on June 11, 2018, 01:02:36 PM
Our PR is really poor and we need that to improve. We need to sell ourselves better. The Bridge and CPN for example seem to be really good at this. Half of it is probably crap but open the local papers this week and I guarantee there will be at much about those two clubs than Down itself. The Point with Feile stuff and the Bridge prancing big Leo about.

Its a team we need Downjim PR is the last of our worries at the minute.

Ambrose

Slightly off topic but can anyone remember who was Down manager in 1986.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

downjim

Quote from: thebar on June 11, 2018, 01:44:18 PM
Quote from: downjim on June 11, 2018, 01:02:36 PM

Its a team we need Downjim PR is the last of our worries at the minute.

I agree with you but my point is that we do not sell ourselves well. Everything is negative, look at the Carlowrising crap on twitter. It works though and Carlow are getting loads of exposure. I honestly would not know a few of them Down players if they walked past me. More exposure needed

Maiden1

Quote from: Ambrose on June 11, 2018, 01:47:04 PM
Sean Smith I think
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Mourne Rover

Sean Smith was definitely Down manager when we unluckily lost the 1986 Ulster final to Tyrone. He would have taken over from the McCartans the previous season and was succeeded by Jackie McManus a couple of years later.

Smurfy123

The word is that this management team have been giving a 3 year term to build the team up again. Sean O apparently give them a vote of confidence last night. That's the word around work today

forevergreen

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 11, 2018, 05:10:53 PM
The word is that this management team have been giving a 3 year term to build the team up again. Sean O apparently give them a vote of confidence last night. That's the word around work today

Is that the same vote of confidence afforded to Jim McCorry!!! when they had the knife stuck in him. Had they of given McCorry a 3 year term and allowed him the time to make the changes,  i think we might have been seeing the benefits of it by now.

The Cavan game represents an opportunity to restart but in reality we are miles of the top ten teams in the country.

At least 4-5 of the starting team yesterday are either not good enough or past their best. we are also missing another 5-6 who either wont play at all or left the panel. the subs who came on made no impression either.

Men against boys in alot of cases and Down also not able to stay with the runners so all told miles behind.

Sean Og must have been on the sauce last night!!!

Targetman

Quote from: Maiden1 on June 11, 2018, 02:17:05 PM
Quote from: Ambrose on June 11, 2018, 01:47:04 PM
Sean Smith I think
Big Pat Donnan steped back over the line with the ball in the Ulster final, cost us the game!

Lecale Gael

its true the old saying 'empty vessels make the most noise'  ;D
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)