Greatest Sportsmen of all Time/New Poll for top 5 to Agree on.

Started by Eastern_Pride, August 18, 2009, 10:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatest Sportsman of All Time.

Michael Jordan
Muhammed Ali
Usain Bolt
Lance Armstrong
Tiger Woods
Pele

DennistheMenace

Doesn't really matter if someone can't 'understand' F1, it's still a sport with a global audience.

I still wouldn't have any of them on the 'Greatest Sportsmen of all Time" poll, irrelevant of how good/successful they are in their own sport.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 12:47:24 PM
Quote from: 118cmal on August 19, 2009, 12:30:13 PM
Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 12:29:10 PM
Ali is somewhat like Bolt in the way that he seemd to appear himself to be confident to give himself confidence in the whole. Being that way made him how he is. He was one of the greatest of all time and, maybe Ali is Bolt's idol, but Usain Bolt's last ever world record, whatever that may be, will never be broken.

You can't say that
Bolt will be the greatest sportsman who ever lived. Bolts run was car speed. He is truly phenomonal. I don't know if you understand just how amazing Tyson Gay ran that race, he was outstanding but 9.58 is like Kilkenny getting 50 points in this years All-Ireland Final

If Bolt were to hit 50 pts for the Cats in an AI final, he'd get my vote.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2009, 04:06:30 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 21, 2009, 03:10:30 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2009, 02:29:47 PM
Is it only me or is it daft having Bolt on any such list?

No - it would be daft having you on it too, heh heh.

Just a passing observation:
Motor"sport" -  ::)

In my day I also also did 9.58 seconds (the time it took from start of alarm clock to alarm clock hitting wall) and 19.19 seconds (for the 100m).
I honestly couldn't care less. Bolt is one of a kind. You and your single minded mind should not be listened o if Bolt isn't a great athlete. Now that I know you're an idiot, I'll know not to listen in future.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

muppet

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 21, 2009, 11:01:42 PM

In my day I also also did 9.58 seconds (the time it took from start of alarm clock to alarm clock hitting wall) and 19.19 seconds (for the 100m).
I honestly couldn't care less. Bolt is one of a kind. You and your single minded mind should not be listened o if Bolt isn't a great athlete. Now that I know you're an idiot, I'll know not to listen in future.

There is a big difference in disagreeing with saying Bolt is the greatest athlete of all time, which is the title of the thread which you yourself started and the gibberish you just posted. I doubt if you understand that though.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

supersub

Quote from: muppet on August 21, 2009, 03:15:15 PM
Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 21, 2009, 02:49:57 PM

The other candidates were great champions who proved themselves over and over again, whereas brilliant as Bolt is, if someone beats those records next year is he then off the list?

We should judge him after many years at the top, not just one.
Enough said. I don't think you understand how momentous that is.

I don't think you know how to think.

Very very true. How can you put him on this list an leave out people like sir steve redgrave, jessie owens, jack nicklaus etc?

There is a far wider spectrum of sports people who need to be included in the poll. You cant put Bolt in the "all time" list just becuase hes broken a couple of world records. What about the other people who broke world records why arnt they there?

Who has done what steve redgrave has done FIVE olympic gold medals in an endurance event over 16 years? This is incredible- not to mention his other world titles.

Furthermore tiger woods is an exceptional talent but he hasnt event become the most successful golfer of all time yet never mind sportsperson! What about Jack Nicklaus then? Also jessie owens as someone else rightly mentioned. Too many forgotten about in my opinion. Nie impossible poll to cast a vote on in reality as it is very hard to pick just one!

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: muppet on August 22, 2009, 05:43:34 PM

There is a big difference in disagreeing with saying Bolt is the greatest athlete of all time, which is the title of the thread which you yourself started and the gibberish you just posted. I doubt if you understand that though.  ::)
I never once said he is the best, but is one of the best you spanner, hence the f**king thread. 5 world records in a year?  Is ok I suppose the oly man in history ever to do it. Get your f**king facts right w**ker

muppet

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 23, 2009, 05:03:13 PM

I never once said he is the best, but is one of the best you spanner, hence the f**king thread. 5 world records in a year?  Is ok I suppose the oly man in history ever to do it. Get your f**king facts right w**ker

Ali is somewhat like Bolt in the way that he seemd to appear himself to be confident to give himself confidence in the whole. Being that way made him how he is. He was one of the greatest of all time and, maybe Ali is Bolt's idol, but Usain Bolt's last ever world record, whatever that may be, will never be broken.

You can't say that
Bolt will be the greatest sportsman who ever lived. Bolts run was car speed. He is truly phenomonal. I don't know if you understand just how amazing Tyson Gay ran that race, he was outstanding but 9.58 is like Kilkenny getting 50 points in this years All-Ireland Final

Not very bright are you?

And aren't you supposed to be ignoring me?

MWWSI 2017

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: muppet on August 23, 2009, 05:12:58 PM
Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 23, 2009, 05:03:13 PM

You can't say that

Not very bright are you?

And aren't you supposed to be ignoring me?
Here sorry about all that crap, had an almightily shite couple of days. Bolt will be in history, maybe not the best but will definitely be remembered. I know what you're saying and hoestly, you are talking a lot of sense., but he is making history.

mea culpa
And once again, I sincerely apologise.