Greatest Sportsmen of all Time/New Poll for top 5 to Agree on.

Started by Eastern_Pride, August 18, 2009, 10:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatest Sportsman of All Time.

Michael Jordan
Muhammed Ali
Usain Bolt
Lance Armstrong
Tiger Woods
Pele

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: 118cmal on August 19, 2009, 11:56:29 AM
Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on August 19, 2009, 11:54:42 AM
No way should Muhammid Ali be on this list. Hes a ****. He bit the hand that fed him. Without Joe Frazier he was a nobody. Frazier helped him out with money, somewhere to live, even got him his pro boxing licence back. and what did Ali do? call him al lthe names of the day Uncle Tom etc etc..taunting him..Muhammid Ali is a sc**bag. I like everyone else thought he was a legend just having seen him box, showmanship and all, but then i saw the documentary on the two of them, completely changed my mind. hes a ****.

He was pretty handy in the ring though. 

Sure didn't he knock out manys the man??

He did. But I still hate him. If people saw the documentary I'm talking about, it would change many a mind. I wanna see if i can find it on youtube or something..

118cmal

I've seen it.

It was presented totally from Frasier's point of view.

Maybe Frasier is bitter?

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

U could have a point about bein bitter.
But Ali, called Frazier a gorilla and all, uncle tom and hes the enemy. he had no class. usain bolt is a showman, but he is that way because he has confidence in his ability, and he delivers. Ali talked down to other fighters, no class in that. ??

118cmal

Most boxers try to trash-talk their opponents.  Part of the aura surrounding Ali was that he did it so effectively.

Sledging occurs in every sport, and is very prominent in the GAA.  I've been called a lot worse than the 'enemy' on the pitch, and had grave insults about my family thrown my way.  I admit that in those times and in their social environment to be called a gorilla or an uncle tom would have been gravely offfensive, but is it any worse than what happens every sunday on GAA pitches throughout the country?

You might argue that it's worse because it is played out in the media, but each week premiership managers try to get into the head of opposing managers and players.  It's part and parcel of sport.

Eastern_Pride

Ali is somewhat like Bolt in the way that he seemd to appear himself to be confident to give himself confidence in the whole. Being that way made him how he is. He was one of the greatest of all time and, maybe Ali is Bolt's idol, but Usain Bolt's last ever world record, whatever that may be, will never be broken.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

118cmal

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 12:29:10 PM
Ali is somewhat like Bolt in the way that he seemd to appear himself to be confident to give himself confidence in the whole. Being that way made him how he is. He was one of the greatest of all time and, maybe Ali is Bolt's idol, but Usain Bolt's last ever world record, whatever that may be, will never be broken.

You can't say that

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

You make a good point alright, that it is part and parcel of boxing and even sport in general. What annoyed me so much was that he called himself the greatest, he gave himself that name, it was thrust upon the media and the world, and we ran with it. I had no idea that all the stuff in the background happend until i watched this docu. Im actually gunna watch it again now cuz iv got frig all to do 2day :). I have been called many a name by players on the feild, and insulted about my sisters and mother, but i show those people no respect, and they will get their just reward for such unsportsmanlike conduct.

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

part 2 of this documentery is the part all about frazier givin ali muny etc...

WeAreBlueWeAreWhite

AND A BOTTLE OF RITZ FOR ME LAC

118cmal

Yeah he called himself the greatest and he was an unbelievable talker.  But sometimes when people have enough ability to back up their arrogance, people seem willling to let it go.  Ronaldo is a c*ck, no doubt about it.  But I absolutely adored seeing him in a United jersey. 

They say every genius is flawed.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: 118cmal on August 19, 2009, 12:30:13 PM
Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 12:29:10 PM

You can't say that
Bolt will be the greatest sportsman who ever lived. Bolts run was car speed. He is truly phenomonal. I don't know if you understand just how amazing Tyson Gay ran that race, he was outstanding but 9.58 is like Kilkenny getting 50 points in this years All-Ireland Final
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

WeAreBlueWeAreWhite

AND A BOTTLE OF RITZ FOR ME LAC

Orior

Quote from: 118cmal on August 19, 2009, 11:22:30 AM
Rory McIlroy

I sat in traffic yesterday beside boy-wonder yesterday and shouted over to him - he said hello back.

He's seems a small chap behind the wheel of a new Audi A4 estate.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hereiam