Serious financial irregularities in Galway

Started by TheGreatest, February 18, 2019, 08:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: dublin7 on October 02, 2019, 01:01:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 02, 2019, 12:57:59 PM
Salaries paid by Croke Park.

If you are taking in millions in income you shouldn't need Croke Park to pay the salary. County Board should be sensible enough to make that decision themselves.

This. If Galway United,in the second tier, can afford full time admin staff, so should Galway GAA. Its mindbending to think thete are counties that dont have full time support.

Itchy

How much does it cost to get a forensic audit of gaa club or county finances for a year of records, ball park. It cant be cheap.

thejuice

GAA properties raided by the gardai in Limerick apparently. Officials and players supposedly involved in corruption.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9a74092e-e7af-11e9-8f9f-a3d435965222
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Itchy on October 05, 2019, 10:53:33 PM
How much does it cost to get a forensic audit of gaa club or county finances for a year of records, ball park. It cant be cheap.
Depends who is doing it

Itchy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 06, 2019, 02:28:11 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 05, 2019, 10:53:33 PM
Depends who is doing it

Well I am sure thats true but if you were building a case like is happening in Galway, I assume some accounts and trawling through everything. I was just wondering is that 10k, 100k or 1k of spending to recover who knows what.

TheGreatest

Quote from: thejuice on October 06, 2019, 09:23:57 AM
GAA properties raided by the gardai in Limerick apparently. Officials and players supposedly involved in corruption.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9a74092e-e7af-11e9-8f9f-a3d435965222

Probably deserves its own thread.....

Maroon Manc

Anyone know what Galways debt is? Thought it was 4 million two years ago but reports of been around 3 million last year.

You'd think you'd be able to find their accounts on their own website but unfortunately not. Now comes the news that all contenders for the hurling managers job have pulled out and the chairman has turned into Comical Ali.

According to the Irish Examiner Mr Burke revealed to delegates at the convention that there are also four legal cases pending against Galway GAA.
He said that a review of officers' expenses revealed that they reached as high as €45,000 in 2016. These expenses will be well short of 10,000 this year though, he confirmed.

The above from last years convention is astonishing yet not surprising. I know nothing about Mike Burke but from a distance it looks like he knows what he's doing although the same can't be said of the chairman.

giveballaghback

Heard primetime investagates are down in galway doing a program on Galway gaa.

twohands!!!

Quote from: giveballaghback on October 08, 2019, 07:55:42 PM

Definitely someone should look at the Ed Sheeran concerts last year - Galway County Board only earned €76k from 2 sold-out concerts while Cork GAA netted around €1 million for 3 nights.

That's a difference of €38k versus €330k on a per-night basis.

TheGreatest

A follow up from Supermac's.

https://www.supermacs.ie/supermacs-statement-re-galway-gaa-finances-follow-up/

3.As previously stated, our concerns in relation to financial matters in Galway GAA were brought to the attention of the Galway County Board 4 years ago and, shortly afterwards, to the attention of Croke Park and nothing happened. We raised these concerns again at a meeting with the County Board in January of this year following the findings of the Mazars Report.

Sounds quite typical, ah be grand, dont worry yourself about it, bit of an FAI job, under age players not having right gear etc.

thebackbar1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 08, 2019, 02:33:57 PM
Anyone know what Galways debt is? Thought it was 4 million two years ago but reports of been around 3 million last year.

You'd think you'd be able to find their accounts on their own website but unfortunately not. Now comes the news that all contenders for the hurling managers job have pulled out and the chairman has turned into Comical Ali.

According to the Irish Examiner Mr Burke revealed to delegates at the convention that there are also four legal cases pending against Galway GAA.
He said that a review of officers' expenses revealed that they reached as high as €45,000 in 2016. These expenses will be well short of 10,000 this year though, he confirmed.

The above from last years convention is astonishing yet not surprising. I know nothing about Mike Burke but from a distance it looks like he knows what he's doing although the same can't be said of the chairman.

I believe three million is accurate, the sale of mountain south must of reduced it.

Mr Burke was elected at convention two years, he conducted a big election campaign with big promises of fundraising and management of the debt.

Fast forward to July 2019 the county board are 400k in debt on CURRENT spend for the year. I do believe this prompted the chairman to call in both managers to tell them their respective budgets will need to be cut by 200k.

I'd question how well Mr Burke has been performing, he doesn't seem to have a handle on spending and he hasn't come up with any big fundraising ideas.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: thebackbar1 on October 09, 2019, 10:31:01 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 08, 2019, 02:33:57 PM

I believe three million is accurate, the sale of mountain south must of reduced it.

Mr Burke was elected at convention two years, he conducted a big election campaign with big promises of fundraising and management of the debt.

Fast forward to July 2019 the county board are 400k in debt on CURRENT spend for the year. I do believe this prompted the chairman to call in both managers to tell them their respective budgets will need to be cut by 200k.

I'd question how well Mr Burke has been performing, he doesn't seem to have a handle on spending and he hasn't come up with any big fundraising ideas.

It will be interesting to see the accounts then, looking at last years accounts they appeared to be going in the right direction so will wait and see what the reasons are for the cutbacks; There's always the chance they've been caused by previous indescrepencies!

An Fhairche Abu

The hurling side of the county have a lot to answer for to be honest.

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 08, 2019, 08:11:33 PM

Definitely someone should look at the Ed Sheeran concerts last year - Galway County Board only earned €76k from 2 sold-out concerts while Cork GAA netted around €1 million for 3 nights.

This is still mind blowing, has any plausible explanation ever come out?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 09, 2019, 12:56:05 PM
The hurling side of the county have a lot to answer for to be honest.

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 08, 2019, 08:11:33 PM

This is still mind blowing, has any plausible explanation ever come out?

Its ridiculous, would like to know who agreed and signed off on the deal. Someone is either guilty of pure incompetence or something more sinister.