Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 07, 2017, 12:06:01 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 07, 2017, 11:54:50 AM
Quote from: mayoaremagic on September 07, 2017, 10:59:00 AM
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=275424

Huge loss for Sligo.

Eamon O'Hara or Gerry McGowan for the job?
Woke up this great news this morning, wrote this on Hoganstand,

Serious questions need to be asked about our County Board and the shambles they are, they seem to not care about results or even understand progression, they seem to have a inability for proactive action, look even losing London they wouldnt get rid of Walsh now this, Carew should never have been reappointed and its thanks to the players that this has happened, make no mistake,

The players need to dictate who the next manager is simple as that, for me Sligo GAA is an easy sell, look at our u21s, u18s results recently and i seen our u15s look very strong too, never in my lifetime have 3 strong underage groups look like coming through together, add to that the younger senior players who for me are serious players, and you have a good mix, with the older lads but they are past there peak and should be used for impact, there will be a year of transition in 2018 but then we should have more players coming through.

Anyone could see against Antrim and Meath, the players weren't playing for Carew, the system was completely negating our best players attributes especially going forward, playing players out of position, and was just minimizing the margin of defeat.

No manager should be writing an article in our local papers either going forward.

For me it needs to be 3 year plan at minimum because i felt last yr our players are a bit behind in conditioning compared to Mayo, etc...

If I were the players i would approach managers because i dont trust the county board, you cant have the likes of that management committee deciding our faith, they rarely make a correct call, too much politics involved and a lack of football knowledge. They cant seem to spot a bluffer when they see one, walsh and carew had no track record, we now need to approach managers with intercounty/club winning trophy track records.

Rory Gallagher has to be sounded out, Tony McEntee has to be too, hes a selector with Mayo last 2 yrs, seeing there set up and conditioning compared to ours must be a huge insight, he won 2 all ireland clubs as manager 4 as player, 1 AI senior as player, selectors will be Sligo based as usual i expect. Rooney, O Hara etc.. all good options

Lastly our County Board need to look into the mirror, no senior manager, no u20, no u17 manager yet, this is all there own doing, no excuse and not good enough, all should of been sorted by now, get it done with the input of the players.

No press release from Sligo GAA, shouldn't this news come from them first and not leaked to the media?
Yes that is odd. Not too much to argue with the rest of that really.

Agree entirely Sligonian and OMS. And as Sligonian has alluded to the circumstances around his removal are the most encouraging thing about it. County board really need to step up now or they should be removed en masse in December. This is a good day.....most positive I've felt about Sligo GAA in a long time.

Il Bomber Destro

Huge loss for Sligo.

Serious questions need to be asked about our County Board and the shambles they are, they seem to not care about results or even understand progression, they seem to have a inability for proactive action, look even losing London they wouldnt get rid of Walsh now this, Carew should never have been reappointed and its thanks to the players that this has happened, make no mistake,

The players need to dictate who the next manager is simple as that, for me Sligo GAA is an easy sell, look at our u21s, u18s results recently and i seen our u15s look very strong too, never in my lifetime have 3 strong underage groups look like coming through together, add to that the younger senior players who for me are serious players, and you have a good mix, with the older lads but they are past there peak and should be used for impact, there will be a year of transition in 2018 but then we should have more players coming through.

Anyone could see against Antrim and Meath, the players weren't playing for Carew, the system was completely negating our best players attributes especially going forward, playing players out of position, and was just minimizing the margin of defeat.

No manager should be writing an article in our local papers either going forward.

For me it needs to be 3 year plan at minimum because i felt last yr our players are a bit behind in conditioning compared to Mayo, etc...

If I were the players i would approach managers because i dont trust the county board, you cant have the likes of that management committee deciding our faith, they rarely make a correct call, too much politics involved and a lack of football knowledge. They cant seem to spot a bluffer when they see one, walsh and carew had no track record, we now need to approach managers with intercounty/club winning trophy track records.

Rory Gallagher has to be sounded out, Tony McEntee has to be too, hes a selector with Mayo last 2 yrs, seeing there set up and conditioning compared to ours must be a huge insight, he won 2 all ireland clubs as manager 4 as player, 1 AI senior as player, selectors will be Sligo based as usual i expect. Rooney, O Hara etc.. all good options

Lastly our County Board need to look into the mirror, no senior manager, no u20, no u17 manager yet, this is all there own doing, no excuse and not good enough, all should of been sorted by now, get it done with the input of the players.

No press release from Sligo GAA, shouldn't this news come from them first and not leaked to the media?

Players should have no input in choosing their boss.

Rossfan

The Oracle  has spoken.

Anyway Sligo bucks I presume the new job is a smoke screen?

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 07, 2017, 01:34:54 PM

Huge loss for Sligo.

Players should have no input in choosing their boss.

The suggestion above is extreme but I totally understand the sentiment. The ineptitude of our county board in these matters is staggering. Remember - the clubs or county committee were not consulted about the reappointment of Carew. Only reason he's gone is because so many player were not making themselves available for next year. I think the players representatives should make a few recommendations to the county board and let them make sure to put a proper manager with a good track record in place.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on September 07, 2017, 02:01:03 PM
The Oracle  has spoken.

If you're directing this at Sligonian I think your sarcasm is misplaced. Not many around Sligo know or understand the scene much better than him.

Blowitupref

Huge loss for Sligo.

Huge loss? Kept on as long as he was probably has done untold damage to the Sligo seniors.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 07, 2017, 02:09:46 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 07, 2017, 02:01:03 PM
The Oracle  has spoken.

If you're directing this at Sligonian I think your sarcasm is misplaced. Not many around Sligo know or understand the scene much better than him.
At Bomber for his players should have no say.. I didn't want to go quoting big long posts.
Sligonian us one of the Board's better contributors as indeed is Owenmoresider.

SLIGONIAN

Rossfan what did you mean by your smokescreen reference?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Owenmoresider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 07, 2017, 03:03:25 PM
Presumably that the work thing is a convenient face-saving excuse for being sent on his way.

Rossfan

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 07, 2017, 03:05:35 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 07, 2017, 03:03:25 PM
Presumably that the work thing is a convenient face-saving excuse for being sent on his way.
Exactly.

sligoman2

Next appointment is crucial.  Is Eamon O'Hara a possibility?

Other names that spring to mind are Pete Mcgrath, Rory Gallagher, James Horan..

No comment or who's good or bad, just throwing out some names for discussion.

Rooney and Taylor would be very long odds imo
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: sligoman2 on September 07, 2017, 03:18:40 PM

For me Horan, Gallagher, McGrath but i think Tony McEntee needs to be looked at, won 2 club All Irelands as manager of Crossmaglen and now has been involved as Mayo selector last 2 yrs, i want whats been implemented in Mayo last few yrs implemented in Sligo, there conditioned to a different level and that's a easy gain as any player can be conditioned to the max.

Its too early for O Hara, him and Rooney as selector for me, Rooney I think needs to be involved to help bring in the younger players, Rooney was already involved as selector and was putting things in place.

Taylor would not be a good appointment.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 07, 2017, 03:31:48 PM

For me Horan, Gallagher, McGrath but i think Tony McEntee needs to be looked at, won 2 club All Irelands as manager of Crossmaglen and now has been involved as Mayo selector last 2 yrs, i want whats been implemented in Mayo last few yrs implemented in Sligo, there conditioned to a different level and that's a easy gain as any player can be conditioned to the max.

Its too early for O Hara, him and Rooney as selector for me, Rooney I think needs to be involved to help bring in the younger players, Rooney was already involved as selector and was putting things in place.

I don't think ye have a chance of getting many of the people you named.

Cunny Funt

Why? he was the U21 manager only natural he would get promoted up to the senior gig now and can't do any worse than than last manager.

Sligo need someone on their next management that has a clue on tackling and ability to make them more solid defensively.

redhandefender

Quote from: Syferus on September 07, 2017, 03:38:19 PM

I don't think ye have a chance of getting Dany of the people you named.

I agree for once, pipe dreams!