ross4life

Quote from: ziggysego on August 11, 2010, 08:30:36 PM
What channel is it on?

Sky sports 1 for ROI
Sky Sports 2 for Wales
Setanta Sports 1 for N Ireland
ITV for England
ESPN for Scotland
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

The Real Laoislad

Boycey how obsessed are you with me? Would ya go get a life ya big tool.

Poor enough game, time for a pint now.
Premium level isn't as nice here as it is in Croke Park it has to be said.
Not sure about small bit behind far goal either.
Platini got some boo when his mug was shown on big screen, did they show that on telly?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

GalwayBayBoy

Looks like we've found another Louth man that Hardy is going to take a dislike too. Stan can't stop talking about the "Argies". ;D

AZOffaly

Is it not TENTERhooks?

You have been Hardied.

Capt Pat

I am at the match and using my phone, I swear. If it ever goes to court I have my own footage of the game on the phone to prove it. I live around the corner and came up at the last minute to get a free ticket. The game is just a freindly but it is good to say you were at the first soccer international in the new Landsdowne Aviva stadium.

ross4life

England 0 Hungary 1 i bet that will get a big cheer in lansdowne road

Edit ahh well 1-1
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AZOffaly

Puckoon

Quote from: Boycey on August 11, 2010, 09:19:02 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2010, 09:01:56 PM
Is it not TENTERhooks?

You have been Hardied.

Noted..

QuoteWhat's the meaning and origin of on tenterhooks?

It's been so long since anyone has seen either a tenter, or the hooks on one, that the word and the idea behind it are now quite mysterious, so much so that it sometimes appears as on tenderhooks, which sounds as though it ought to make more sense. But at one time, the phrase on tenterhooks would have evoked an image that was immediately understandable.

It comes from one of the processes of making woollen cloth. After it had been woven, the cloth still contained oil from the fleece, mixed with dirt. It was cleaned in a fulling mill, but then it had to be dried carefully or it would shrink and crease. So the lengths of wet cloth were stretched on wooden frames, and left out in the open for some time. This allowed them to dry and straightened their weave. These frames were the tenters, and the tenter hooks were the metal hooks used to fix the cloth to the frame. At one time, it would have been common in manufacturing areas to see fields full of these frames (older English maps sometimes marked an area as a tenter-field). So it was not a huge leap of the imagination to think of somebody on tenterhooks as being in an state of anxious suspense, stretched like the cloth on the tenter. The tenters have gone, but the meaning has survived.

Tenter comes from the Latin tendere, to stretch, via a French intermediate. The word has been in the language since the fourteenth century, and on tenters soon after became a phrase meaning painful anxiety. The exact phrase on tenterhooks seems first to have been used by Tobias Smollett in Roderick Random in 1748.

They say you learn something new every day

Feckin hell, that is some change all right. It will take a while to get used to that one.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 11, 2010, 09:05:48 PM
I am at the match and using my phone, I swear. If it ever goes to court I have my own footage of the game on the phone to prove it. I live around the corner and came up at the last minute to get a free ticket. The game is just a freindly but it is good to say you were at the first soccer international in the new Landsdowne Aviva stadium.
Don't mind what the armchair fans say Capt Pat!
If I didn't have a youngfella with me I could have went on the batter with you after the game
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ross4life

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 11, 2010, 10:03:45 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on August 11, 2010, 09:05:48 PM
Don't mind what the armchair fans say Capt Pat!
If I didn't have a youngfella with me I could have went on the batter with you after the game

So did you manage to say the full 90mins this time?

Main Street

The Argies were up for the game and won handy enough.
Offside goal for sure, how can anyone think otherwise? ::) 
Treacy had a good debut as a sub, never heard of him before. Set pieces were awful until Gibson hit the last one.

BTW  the use of the the term "Argie" is no more derogative than 'Aussie'.  Doesn't matter when the term was made popular or by who. It has entered into common enough usage and can be used without disrespect just like any other abbreviation.

AFS

Paul McShane almost looked like a footballer tonight. Yer man Tracey wasn't bad when he came on. Sheridan looked woefully out of his depth, although playing two games in 24 hours can't have helped.

Looking forward to the Euro campaign, it's a bit of a worry that so little is coming through. Very reliant on the auld fellas like Dunne, Given, O'Shea, Keane and Duff. Maybe those lads can maintain their form and fitness for the next two years, but chances are some won't as they push on into their thirties.

gerrykeegan

Just back, have to say it was funny to see bars open not selling drink, all the staff wearing Guinness tops, juat standing around with nothing to do.  Was there drink in the Premium level? Our seats were wet when we got in, We were lower east stand but row U which was I thought far back enough to stay dry. Pain in the hole getting out of it. Very slow
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Declan

Fantastic stadium alright and it was good to be there on such an occasion. We were in the "small" end behind the goal and had no problems getting in or out - very easy.
Downsides were the fact that no beer allowed for the plebs - brother in law in the Premier said they were open but when I enquired from the young lassie I was told Uefa don't allow it!! - Gently told her that this was BS and asked to see the supervisor but no luck. Also heard from lads in the East stand who found it very crowded getting out.
Also what is it with traffic management in the city. I had to use the car last night and was in Phibsboro at 6 but just got in at 7.45 - madness.

Anyway the match panned out pretty much to form. We stood off and admired their neat passing in the first half but they lacked penetration apart from a couple of moments of genius from Messi - Great to watch him.
Haven't seen the goal again but heard it was offside. Thought Green did OK and Keogh when he came on livened it up a bit but other than that it was standard enough pre-season fare

Barney

Watching this on television it really sums up where we are as a country.

Brand spanking new world class stadium. First game.

We can't sell it out - people don't have the money to pay for such an occasion. I know tickets are dear but the fact that in a country of 4 million there are not enough people that can afford to see the likes of Messi.

Also the lack of atmosphere I think tells us something how we go to these occasions now be it a soccer international, GAA match etc and expect to be entertained. We take things such as the new stadium too easily for granted and the sense of natural fun is gone out of the thing.

I thought tickets would have been like gold dust. If I knew otherwise I would have travelled up.