Muineachán v Corcaigh

Started by Maguire01, March 31, 2008, 09:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on April 05, 2008, 10:10:08 PM
i reckon if you give banty the boot you might do better. he's not capable of taking them to the next level. offensively monaghan need something to start happening soon.

Why so ? Who would replace him ? Personally I think Monaghan have made huge strides with him as manager.

INDIANA

he's not able to take them on orangeman. I've spoken to a lot of people from Monaghan as i have relations around that region and they say he is very limited tactically and i'd tend to agree with them. this tactic of thm pulling everyone behind the ball isn't working and with the forwards they have they should be scoring far more form play. I'm interested because i;ve a right few quid on them to win ulster and i'm hoping for an improvement!

Maguire01

Banty has done more with Monaghan than a long list of managers before him.  He's playing with a limited pool of players and he's getting the best out of them.  He's also beefed up his squad since last year and have the team believing in themselves. Monaghan are holding their own against counties with relatively massive populations and a huge number of clubs. The man also brings more passion to the county than any number of blow-in managers could.  I doubt you'd find too many inside the county who would want another manager.

As for last night - disappointing result, but at least we kept the scoring difference good, in case we need to be separated by scoring difference at the end.  It would be nice if Cavan could take at least a point off Westmeath today. I'm confident that Monaghan could hold their own in Division 1 next year.

Main Street

Those people Indiana knows must be some of the inbreds from the Latton area.

Uladh

And from amongs the county board from what i hear

INDIANA

just my opinion small county or not- i think that's too much of a ready made excuse. You've got a good team and you shouldn't set your sights so low. I don't think he's a great manager and the style of football you're playing at the moment doesn't suit the team. Derry have a small enough pick as well-yet they will probably win Ulster this year. I think Banty is very similar to Caffrey- great at organising things and overseeing things but tactically weak.

timmyot501

A poor second half performance against Cork but its one defeat. Bar Tommy the forwards didn't click like they did against Meath. Cork won midfield easily and I think we were lucky to be only two points behind at the end.  We needed to change midfield quicker in the 2nd half. Brining Ronaghan or Benny on at midfield might have worked. Near the end we threw everyone forward in search of late scores. Could we not take this approach earlier or why do we have to wait until the game is up.  The only real positive is that in the last 5 minutes we were still batteling to the end.

thebandit

Midfield was absolutely cleaned out!

Tommy was double marked and was ineffective as a result - we didn't use the extra man at all well imo

I think Jinxy has gone back from last year, Manzie is promising, but still light.

Paul McGuigan was the pick of the defenders imo, and continues to improve. I thought it was crying out to go to a 3 man full forward line with 10-15 minutes to go.

Overall, not a graet performance, but what a weekend  ;D

orangeman

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 06, 2008, 10:48:11 AM
Banty has done more with Monaghan than a long list of managers before him.  He's playing with a limited pool of players and he's getting the best out of them.  He's also beefed up his squad since last year and have the team believing in themselves. Monaghan are holding their own against counties with relatively massive populations and a huge number of clubs. The man also brings more passion to the county than any number of blow-in managers could.  I doubt you'd find too many inside the county who would want another manager.
As for last night - disappointing result, but at least we kept the scoring difference good, in case we need to be separated by scoring difference at the end.  It would be nice if Cavan could take at least a point off Westmeath today. I'm confident that Monaghan could hold their own in Division 1 next year.

I can't agree that you are playing with a limited number of players - Monaghan have the best group of players in a long time.

Yes, he does bring passion and I think you're right in that not a lot of people inside the county would change manager right now.

donelli

Quote from: thebandit on April 07, 2008, 11:58:23 AM
Midfield was absolutely cleaned out!

Tommy was double marked and was ineffective as a result - we didn't use the extra man at all well imo

I think Jinxy has gone back from last year, Manzie is promising, but still light.

Paul McGuigan was the pick of the defenders imo, and continues to improve. I thought it was crying out to go to a 3 man full forward line with 10-15 minutes to go.

Overall, not a graet performance, but what a weekend  ;D

he hasnt played too much this year.
He was very good against meath last week (think that was his first start of the year-though stand to be corrected).
Not so good against cork, but very premature to conclude he has went backwards.
Give the lad a break

Main Street

Quote from: orangeman on April 07, 2008, 12:02:12 PM
I can't agree that you are playing with a limited number of players - Monaghan have the best group of players in a long time.
Yes, he does bring passion and I think you're right in that not a lot of people inside the county would change manager right now.
Limited in numbers. It is a good bunch of players. It not a coincidence that Banty happens to be managing the team when there just happens to be a good crop. It is the result of years of good hard work.
Its the restricted number of good players available is the problem. It hit like a ton of bricks looking at the subs Kerry could bring on to swing the big game at a crucial phase and our subs were raw.
Another one is that Corey is our only big man. Banty would nearly be forced to play him like the big Chief Bomden in the basketball game in One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest.
In fact he has ;D

Maguire01

You've answered perfectly for me Main Street -  thank you kindly.  :P
My point indeed was that there are a limited pool of players in the county from which to choose a panel of 30.

thebandit

While I would agree that we are limited, I would have to put forward that there is more than enough talent and commitment there to achieve tangiable success - I think an Ulster title would be a great achievement

donelli

Quote from: thebandit on April 07, 2008, 03:38:45 PM
While I would agree that we are limited, I would have to put forward that there is more than enough talent and commitment there to achieve tangiable success - I think an Ulster title would be a great achievement

20 YEARS since the last one.
an ulster title would be dream stuff...... we'd be doing well to reach the final this year with an on-form fermanagh team in enniskillen and probably a derry team seeking revenge awaiting us in a possible semi...

GrandMasterFlash

Few points from game Sat night;

1. We were cleaned out of it in mid-fiield. This to me was the result of three faults;
     a. Kickouts were poor and landed on top of Eoin Lennons head most of the time making it easy for his opposite to punch the ball clear.
     b. Eoin Lennon's insistance on goin up for balls with one hand when there was no HFs/HBs there to collect. What's wrong with attempting to catch it cleanly??
     c. No support players to collect break ball.

2. Kickouts crucified us - see 1a. Cork made MF look easy.. Big men I know but putting the ball on our man's head just plays into their hands. At one stage the ball was kicked out and came straight back in. Lower flight path need and thus a bit more distance, this would take the pressure off our HB line (as someone mentioned Damien Freeman had to jump for a kickout against a man twice his size) and maybe give our Hf line a chance to collect some break ball.

3. Darren Hughes made some great blocks but stood too far off Gould who subsequently had a field day. His runs forward were so often what set Cork up with scores.

4. Some of the substitutions - what was the idea of takin Finlay off and bringin him back on
      a. It's not the AIF
      b. He's not Peter Canavan
      c. What is it saying to the rest of the bench???

5. Paul McGuigan - a great asset to the team, should he line out at LHF instead of LHB??/

6. Damien Freeman - I thought he tired very quickly in the second half - wasn't his usual supporting self and had the hands on the hips a few times.. He got a knock on the hip in the first half which may have a bearing on it.

On the midfield issue - this is not a new issue and our biggest concern. If experimentation is the answer then why not throw Benny McKenna and Ciaran Hanratty in from the start. I'm not if it's the answer, or fair on them, to be brought on with 10mins to go when the chips are down and expect to turn the game around. If we are to have strength and depth then these lads need full games, or starts at least. Fire them on against Westmeath and see if they are worth it or not..

It's not the end of the world however, and I think a beating will do no harm in the long run. They've plenty of homework to be at now for the Westmeath game which is good. A straight run of wins wouldn't be the best goin into the C'ship, considering we just scraped a few of them..