American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clov

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 20, 2018, 03:04:16 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 20, 2018, 02:30:54 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on November 20, 2018, 01:01:16 PMWow! Hard to believe.  Some going.  What's the thoughts on these two teams? Obviously amazing on offence but will they come a cropper in the play-offs?

They will both be there or thereabout. Rams and Saints are the cream of the NFC. Steelers/Pats/Chiefs in the AFC

If Kansas can hold onto number 1 they'll be dangerous. They have to overcome Andy Reiditis in the playoffs, but that will be easier at Arrowhead.

In fairness to Andy Reid i don't think he has ever had a QB as good as Mahommes. I think they're the front runner in AFC. So much depends on staying healthy from here on in but i'd still have them as slight superbowl favourites even after last nights defeat.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

cadhlancian

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 20, 2018, 03:22:19 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on November 20, 2018, 01:01:16 PMWow! Hard to believe.  Some going.  What's the thoughts on these two teams? Obviously amazing on offence but will they come a cropper in the play-offs?

They will both be there or thereabout. Rams and Saints are the cream of the NFC. Steelers/Pats/Chiefs in the AFC

Patriots have been decidedly ordinary this season. If they get Gronk back and he's Gronk it'll make a huge difference but it's not guaranteed. Once again their defence is really dodgy and I just can't see the Chiefs especially not exposing it in a way the Jaguars didn't last year.
They already did expose the Pats defense this year......Brady just exposed theirs a little more..😉😉

magpie seanie

Quote from: Clov on November 20, 2018, 04:47:30 PM

If Kansas can hold onto number 1 they'll be dangerous. They have to overcome Andy Reiditis in the playoffs, but that will be easier at Arrowhead.

In fairness to Andy Reid i don't think he has ever had a QB as good as Mahommes. I think they're the front runner in AFC. So much depends on staying healthy from here on in but i'd still have them as slight superbowl favourites even after last nights defeat.

Did Donovan McNabb ever have weapons like Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Kareem Hunt and Sammy Watkins? QB production is a function of several things, only one of which is ability. Mahomes is doing really well but he has only played 11 games in the NFL.....lets not send him to Canton already.

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 21, 2018, 11:08:12 AM

Did Donovan McNabb ever have weapons like Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Kareem Hunt and Sammy Watkins? QB production is a function of several things, only one of which is ability. Mahomes is doing really well but he has only played 11 games in the NFL.....lets not send him to Canton already.

Yeah Mahomes looks very good but he has been drafted into a good situation too, I suppose that's what good teams do
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

TabClear

Shaping up for a good year with plenty of teams in contention at the business en of the season.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the final minutes of the Jacksonville/Steelers game was some entertainment on Sunday. Big Ben barreling over for  a rushing TD in the last few seconds was great watching especially as he had a shocking first half. Legend.  8)

Clov

TO and Brian Westbrook were pretty decent but yes, i'd agree that Mahommes has a better supporting cast than McNabb probably ever had (and possibly the best in the league at the moment). But Alex Smith had the same cast last year (substituting Albert Wilson for Sammy Watkins) and Mahommes is way outperforming what Smith did. My point wasn't really on Mahommes per se but more a word in defence of Andy Reid. Every QB he has worked with has looked better under him than in any other stop along their career. Michael Vick, McNabb, Alex Smith (minus one year he was excellent under Harbaugh), may be even Kevin Kolb.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

AZOffaly

Don't get me wrong. I like Andy Reid and I think he's a good coach and a genuinely great QB coach. But his game management and clock management are suspect and in the playoffs that can, and has, killed his teams.

Capt Pat

But Alex Smith is a failed number 1 pick in the draft. He is no Tom Brady or hall of famer. Mahomes is no doubt better than Smith but he still has to prove himself against the likes of Brees, Brady and Rodgers.

Quote from: Clov on November 21, 2018, 01:24:46 PM

TO and Brian Westbrook were pretty decent but yes, i'd agree that Mahommes has a better supporting cast than McNabb probably ever had (and possibly the best in the league at the moment). But Alex Smith had the same cast last year (substituting Albert Wilson for Sammy Watkins) and Mahommes is way outperforming what Smith did. My point wasn't really on Mahommes per se but more a word in defence of Andy Reid. Every QB he has worked with has looked better under him than in any other stop along their career. Michael Vick, McNabb, Alex Smith (minus one year he was excellent under Harbaugh), may be even Kevin Kolb.

gallsman

Smith is in his 13th season. He's by no means a failure. He's not Manning or Brady but he's not Jamarcus either.

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on November 21, 2018, 09:37:53 PM
Smith is in his 13th season. He's by no means a failure. He's not Manning or Brady but he's not Jamarcus either.

Yeah Smith was no bust by any stretch just took him a while to show his worth, like a lot of young QBs drafted at the top of the first round they are often rushed into a shitty situation on a bad team. He was viewed unfavourably for a few years as he was taken #1 and Rodgers dropped to 20 something.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

Duke and Gonzaga live on ESPN right now, No 1 vs No 3.

gallsman

Chase Daniel likely to start for the Bears tonight. Some career stats:

Teams: 5
Times released: 7
Starts: 2
TD passes: 1
Earnings: c. 27m

rory

Quote from: Boycey on November 21, 2018, 10:27:30 PM
Duke and Gonzaga live on ESPN right now, No 1 vs No 3.

Sounds like it was an absolute classic.  89 - 87 to Gonzaga.  Duke missing a lot of shots in the last minute to tie it.

AZOffaly

Watched a bit of it and listened to the rest on TuneIn. Sounded great.

magpie seanie

Quote from: gallsman on November 22, 2018, 08:33:15 AM
Chase Daniel likely to start for the Bears tonight. Some career stats:

Teams: 5
Times released: 7
Starts: 2
TD passes: 1
Earnings: c. 27m

I'm seriously worried about tonight. Just when da Bears get themselves into a good position to make the playoffs. Still - Daniels knows the system and he won't be asked to do too much. The defense will once again need to come up big. All in all not ideal with the short turnaround in a game da Bears really could do with winning.