Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Quote from: Under Lights on July 17, 2019, 10:34:39 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 17, 2019, 10:31:16 AM
Mannion? Strange to pick him as a guaranteed AS. Surely O'Callaghan would be ahead of him.

Eh?

I'm saying, imo, Con O'Callaghan is much more nailed on for an all star versus Mannion.

lenny

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on July 17, 2019, 08:05:15 AM
Quote from: skeog on July 14, 2019, 01:08:18 PM
Shoe in for an All Star this year.

Wont be far away but only if Tyrone get to the final but to name a few from just 2 other teams who will be there their abouts and most likely be in the final- Clifford (Guaranteed), Mannion (Guaranteed) so really he's up against McBrearty, Geaney & Costello in my opinion..

Would like to see mcshane get one. Good honest no nonsense player, no diving etc. He's playing out of his skin and has really developed this year. I wouldn't say anyone is guaranteed though. The really high profile games are still to come. Brian hurley is having a superb season also, as is micky newman. If cork were to beat tyrone to the 2nd place in the group hurley will probably jump ahead of mcshane in the pecking order.

Jayop

Quote from: Ireland2019 on July 17, 2019, 03:22:15 PM
The u20 team (apart from the  car jumping carry on) look to be a decent side. Can we expect  a good amount of them to push on to senior in the next few years?

I find it very hard to find info on the ages of the Tyrone panel, but a large amount of them are from the 2011/12 U21 panels so would be around 27/28 years old at the moment.

Players around that 28 years of age are Niall Morgan, Ronan McNamee, Tiernan McCann, Mattie Donnelly

Niall Sludden, Richie Donnely & Skeet, are 27 I think.

Colm Cav is about 31/32. Coney is 29 but still on the fringes.

All in all the squad age profile is very health at the moment with a lot of them coming from the 2015 u21 AI winning panel. Padraig Hampsey, Michael Cassidy, Kieran McGeary; Frank Burns, Cathal McShane, and Conor Meyler.

You've also got Brennan and Bradley from that panel possibly available next year too.

These lads will have a hell of a fight to make inroads in the next few seasons but that's exactly what we need to do. Keep on freshening up the squad with younger hungry players. Keep pressure on everyone for their places.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2019, 03:34:27 PM
The u20 team (apart from the  car jumping carry on) look to be a decent side. Can we expect  a good amount of them to push on to senior in the next few years?

I find it very hard to find info on the ages of the Tyrone panel, but a large amount of them are from the 2011/12 U21 panels so would be around 27/28 years old at the moment.

Players around that 28 years of age are Niall Morgan, Ronan McNamee, Tiernan McCann, Mattie Donnelly

All in all the squad age profile is very health at the moment with a lot of them coming from the 2015 u21 AI winning panel. Padraig Hampsey, Michael Cassidy, Kieran McGeary; Frank Burns, Cathal McShane, and Conor Meyler.

You've also got Brennan and Bradley from that panel possibly available next year too.

These lads will have a hell of a fight to make inroads in the next few seasons but that's exactly what we need to do. Keep on freshening up the squad with younger hungry players. Keep pressure on everyone for their places.

You've got Murnaghan and Canavan who were with the seniors earlier and will obviously be coming back in soon.

omagh_gael

Is this Darragh Canavan's last year at u20?

Jayop

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 18, 2019, 04:03:51 PM

Was U17 in 2017 so you'd think he has another year. He was to turn 19 in 2019 but I don't know when so it'[s very hard to know.

I think he'll be in the Sr panel next year regardless.

GlenMan

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 18, 2019, 04:03:51 PM

He's still U20 next year along with Matthew Murnaghan.

Of the Starting team from the Ulster Final the following are still U20 next year - Lorcan Quinn, Conor Quinn, Antoin Fox, Joe Oguz, Darragh Canavan, Tiarnan Quinn.

inroundthesquare

Winners of Kerry / Cork U20 live on tg4 tonight play Tyrone in the semis

Jayop

Cork it is. Awful pity that game couldn't be played ahead of the Sr game in Croker.

square_ball

Bit of a blow losing Peter Donnelly to the Ulster rugby setup. Fair play though to Donnelly great move for him.

Jayop

Aye forgot to mention that alright. Big loss for the camp but it's a no brainer really for a guy like him. 9-5 job in a FT professional environment and you'd hazard a guess that the pay is a fair bit better too. Wish him all the very best of luck with it.

omaghjoe

That is a loss....when did that happen??.... I hadn't seen him around or mentioned alot lately...?

Jayop

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 18, 2019, 09:35:34 PM
That is a loss....when did that happen??.... I hadn't seen him around or mentioned alot lately...?

I heard on Newstalks podcast this morning I think so must have been just announced.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2019, 09:36:11 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on July 18, 2019, 09:35:34 PM

I heard on Newstalks podcast this morning I think so must have been just announced.

When does he take up that post then?
That was never a square ball!!

Angelo

Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2019, 03:34:27 PM

Think McCrory and Cavanagh the only players in their 30s in the squad.

Harte, Coney, McNabb and Mattie were all in their final year of minor in 2008 so either are now 29 or will turn 29 at some point this year.

Morgan, McCann, McAliskey and McNamee were all a year after that so are 28 or will turn 28 at some point this year.

Sludden, Richie Donnelly, HP McGeary and Grugan were minor in 2010 so are 27 or will turn 27 at some point this year.

McCurry, McClure, C McCann, Loughran, Brendan Burns are the year after that so would be 26 or will be at some point this year.

K McGeary, McLaughlin, R Brennan, Meyler, Hampsey and Cassidy were all in their final year u21 in 2015 so are 25 or will be at some point this year. Mark Bradley is in this bracket too and I think Ronan McHugh also falls into that age bracket.

F Burns and McShane had another year u21 after that so would be 24 or will turn it at some point this year.

O'Donnell, Mulgrew, Rafferty and McKernan are all 22 or will be at some point this year.

Gallen and Kennedy were u20 last year so are 21 or will be at some point this year.

Not sure if I missed anybody?

I think the squad needs a fair bit of freshening up for next season - the likes of C McCann, McClure, Loughran, B Burns, R McHugh, McNabb, Coney, Grugan are some of the guys who have had a number of years on the panel at various stages over the years and never really looked like nailing a starting spot. Maybe some of them have something to offer but I think they might see the writing on the wall like Ronan O'Neill did earlier this year. They're all mid to late 20s so they should have established themselves by now.

I think we have a few good prospects around the midfield area. Gormley has been impressive for the u20s, I'd say Conn Kilpatrick would have got a call up only for a bad injury during the club championship last year. Mattie McGleenan's young lad looks like he will be a big prospect in a few years time. Paudie McNulty might come back in next year. So I'd say a few of C McCann, McClure and Grugan may opt out or be cut.

I think there are a lot of lads who probably deserve a chance in the county set up next winter - a few who have caught my eye apart from those listed above would be Michael O'Neill (Ardboe) Nathan Donnelly (Killyclogher) Paul Donaghy (Edendork) Ryan Coleman (Moy) Emmett McNabb (Dromore) and a few others.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL