American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muck Savage

Quote from: Syferus on December 03, 2017, 08:18:33 PM
Quote from: Muck Savage on December 03, 2017, 07:49:21 PM
They got in on their name only. This decision shows that strength of schedule means nothing

The Beat a No 9 Penn State (and the time No 2)
Beat No 6 Wisconsin (at the time No 4)
Lost to Oklahoma No 2 (at the time No 5)
And won a conf. championship
The thing that hurt them is the 31 point loss,

Alabama only played 1 team that ended up in the top 10, and lost.
Yes they beat 2 other teams that ended up in the top 25 and an overrated Florida State team that was ranked 3 at the time but didn't end up in the top 25.

The 31 point loss huts Ohio but I think the other wins are far more impressive than what Alabama have done.

There was only an eleven place difference in overall SOS between Alabama and OSU - 47th v 36th nationally. Some quarters invented a large gap there that never really existed if you looked closely. Coloured by Tide and SEC hate, to be frank. If we went on that metric USC were in because they were way ahead of either at 8th nationally.

Alabama's strength of record (how you fared nationally against your schedule) was actually higher than OSU's, 4th v 7th, so it wasn't on name that they got in over OSU, hardly a minnow themselves.

The committee rewards consistency and no one can deny that Alabama had no horrific performances that could compare to the Iowa game for OSU. Alabama where #1 in the nation for all but six days of the season in most polls.

The committee have said that conference championships are very important and to get to a conf championship you need a level of consistency. Both Ohio State and USC played three additional conf games, four if you include the conf championship game. Alabama's consistency in the SEC has been good but should playing teams like Mercer be valued the same way? USC should have been in the conversation the same way as OSU, that will be a good game.
The playoffs have been a great addition over the past few years but I see this been expanded to 8 teams very soon. You'll still have some questions marks around 8 & 9 but don't think it will be as questionable. Some good bowl games coming up with USC/OSU and Wisconsin/Miami in addition to the playoffs.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gabriel_Hurl

Oraisteach

Browns Perfect Season! 0-16.  Almost blew it with a 14-point lead!

Well, at least we had a 4-0 pre-season.

Capt Pat

Vikings slipped up this week losing 31-24 on the road at the panthers. We lost the number 1 seed back to the Eagles who beat the Rams 43-35 in LA.

The Vikings still should be able to wrap up the division next week at home against the Bengals.

Carmen Stateside

Eagles grind out a tough one in LA but looks to have come at a big cost with Wentz reported to have tore ACL.  Foles done well today when he came in but come playoffs i wouldn't be so sure.

Capt Pat

Nfl.com says the Eagles believe Wentz has tore his acl. It is a tough break for the Eagles if true. They were on course for a super bowl appearance. I know Wentz is still young but the team might not repeat the form of this year in future years. The Cowboys and Giants will likely bounce back from this years poor form next year.

Declan

QuoteNfl.com says the Eagles believe Wentz has tore his acl. It is a tough break for the Eagles if true. They were on course for a super bowl appearance.

Very frustrating alright. Good win but could be expensive

Minder

Quote from: Declan on December 11, 2017, 08:40:50 AM
QuoteNfl.com says the Eagles believe Wentz has tore his acl. It is a tough break for the Eagles if true. They were on course for a super bowl appearance.

Very frustrating alright. Good win but could be expensive

Yeah I think the Eagles would have won it all, best all round team in the NFL

gallsman

I dunno, Seattle managed them very handily just week.

Wentz showed a lot of balls - he got hit on a scramble on third down for a score that was then bright back for a holding penalty. Scored on the fourth down after it.

magpie seanie

Awful to see an injury like that to a star player at the top of his game. Foles is a much higher than average backup though so I wouldn't rule them out. AFC is going to be fun with the Jags, Steelers and Chargers looking the most likely to topple the borg.

The Bears tour of the AFC North continued apace. Trubisky's best game so far.

Clov

Foles is a pretty good back-up. Plenty of experience and had a very good season with the Eagles a few years ago. I think the problem for the Eagles is that the NFC is so competitive compared with the AFC. Apart from the Pats it feels like there is no one in the AFC as good as the top 4-5 teams in the NFC.

NFC playoffs are going to be fun.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

TabClear

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2017, 11:52:15 AM
Awful to see an injury like that to a star player at the top of his game. Foles is a much higher than average backup though so I wouldn't rule them out. AFC is going to be fun with the Jags, Steelers and Chargers looking the most likely to topple the borg.

Tough break for Wentz. Was on target for the MVP in my view.
Dont know if it has been mentioned on here already but I did not realise until I watched the Pittsburgh game that Ryan Shazier's injury was as serious. Spinal surgery. The NFL is a great game to watch but some of the hits are unbelievable. 15 stone plus guys who can sprint at a pace that would not look out of place at the Olympics colliding at full pelt must be brutal on the body, even with the padding.

Minder

Quote from: TabClear on December 12, 2017, 11:05:49 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 11, 2017, 11:52:15 AM

Tough break for Wentz. Was on target for the MVP in my view.
Dont know if it has been mentioned on here already but I did not realise until I watched the Pittsburgh game that Ryan Shazier's injury was as serious. Spinal surgery. The NFL is a great game to watch but some of the hits are unbelievable. 15 stone plus guys who can sprint at a pace that would not look out of place at the Olympics colliding at full pelt must be brutal on the body, even with the padding.

Yeah I would say Shaziers injury has ended his career, it's been a brutal year for bad injuries. Bad one to lose for Pats last night, it's all on next week v Steelers for home field advantage

AZOffaly

The Pats have lost 4 of their last 5 in Miami now, or something like that. Very un Patriots like really. If the Steelers can beat them next weekend, you'd think the PAts will struggle to get to the Superbowl.