Tony Reddin, Tipp. Hurling Legend RIP

Started by Oraisteach, March 02, 2015, 01:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

Tony Reddin, Tipperary goalkeeping great, died today.  A humble gentleman and a GAA legend.  RIP

Bord na Mona man

Born in Galway and lived in Offaly for the last few decades.
His workmates in Bord na Mona reckoned he had enhanced peripheral vision. In the tea shed you might sneak up on him and lob a lump of turf at his head from an angle of behind one of his ears. He'd reach back, snatch it and continue drinking his tea as normal. Back then goalkeepers needed to watch both the dropping ball and inrushing forwards ready to drive them over the line. His vision also helped him make clearances under pressure where he'd play the ball towards someone while seemingly looking in a different direction.

AZOffaly

RIP. I knew he was in Bord na Mona alright. Was he in Derrinlough? He lived in Banagher I think...

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 02, 2015, 11:30:32 AM
RIP. I knew he was in Bord na Mona alright. Was he in Derrinlough? He lived in Banagher I think...

RIP.

Did he play his club hurling in Tipp for Lorra IIRC?

Plain of the Herbs

He lived at Cuba Avenue in Banagher, right enough.  A row of houses where lived Maura McHugh (daughter of Clare legend John Joe 'Goggles' Doyle), Mannions (Roy), Reddins and Fogartys.  Duignans (Michael) is across the road.

Tony's contribution to Offaly is that he trained St Rynagh's to several SHC title wins in the 1960s and 70s, promoting a brand of quick, direct hurling that defeated the 'traditional' savagery that used pass for hurling prior to that.

May he Rest in Peace.
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 02, 2015, 11:30:32 AM

AZOffaly

Lorrha was his club in North Tipp alright. It's funny he was born in Galway, in Mullagh, lived in Lorrha, and then moved to Banagher. Three provinces, Three Counties (playing for two of them, and winning a pile of Offaly championships as a manager) and all within about a 30 mile radius I'd say.

Plain of the Herbs

Yes, JC.  He was a native of Mullagh in East Galway and work took him across the Shannon to Lorrha in the late 1940s.  Amazing that he was unable to dislodge Seánie Duggan from the Galway goals, yet went on to be recognised as hurling's greatest goalkeeper (team of the century team of the millennium) after his exploits with Tipperary.

I fairness Seánie Duggan was a great goalkeeper himself and while I haven't time to look, he may well have been selected in 1984 in the Sindo as goalkeeper on a team who never won an All-Ireland medal. 
Quote from: johnneycool on March 02, 2015, 11:56:57 AM
RIP.

Did he play his club hurling in Tipp for Lorra IIRC?

Plain of the Herbs

Interviewed on Midlands Radio 3 today, Damien Martin recalls how, as a young boy, he saw Tony Reddin hurl in goal in the 1956 county Final at Nenagh.

I pulled out Jim Fogarty's The Dan Breen Cup and opened the page on the 1956 Final.  It reads "The winning captain, Mickey Byrne, stated that he was sorry that Tony Reddan had not got a county medal. To applause he said that if ever a man deserved one, it was Tony Reddan. He then called for three cheers for Tony Reddan and they were heartily given."

seafoid

Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on March 02, 2015, 10:51:45 PM
Interviewed on Midlands Radio 3 today, Damien Martin recalls how, as a young boy, he saw Tony Reddin hurl in goal in the 1956 county Final at Nenagh.

I pulled out Jim Fogarty's The Dan Breen Cup and opened the page on the 1956 Final.  It reads "The winning captain, Mickey Byrne, stated that he was sorry that Tony Reddan had not got a county medal. To applause he said that if ever a man deserved one, it was Tony Reddan. He then called for three cheers for Tony Reddan and they were heartily given."
Thanks for that. What a lovely tribute to a great hurler
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mouview

Was it true that Reddan wasn't his birth name, but that he changed it when he signed up for Tipp'? Had to do so, because he couldn't dislodge Seanie Duggan from the Galway position. Maybe a myth....

AZOffaly

Why would he have to change his name? He moved to Lorrha so he was entitled to transfer to Tipp.

Oraisteach

Think they were still known as the Reddins when he lived in Galway.

Oraisteach

Always liked his line, and I'm sure to be misquoting it, after Jack Lynch blind-sided him in a match: "Try that again and they'll be having a by-election in Cork."  He was a wonderful man, modest and genial, who made time for everyone.  I had the good fortune, years ago, to be welcomed in his home, to listen to his stories and to see his collection of medals.  I even got an autographed hurling stick that he himself made.  His passing marks the end of a generation.

Plain of the Herbs

The family name was Reddington, but they were known as Reddins around Mullagh.
Quote from: mouview on March 04, 2015, 03:28:03 PM
Was it true that Reddan wasn't his birth name, but that he changed it when he signed up for Tipp'? Had to do so, because he couldn't dislodge Seanie Duggan from the Galway position. Maybe a myth....

Oraisteach

I believe Banagher was festooned in Tipperary colors as the cortège moved through the town.  A fantastic gesture by the Offaly people.  A class act.