MPs expenses

Started by Capt Pat, May 13, 2009, 02:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 13, 2009, 01:31:49 PM
Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on May 13, 2009, 01:16:51 PM
I think the salary is quite adequate!

Lets not forget the many add-ons that are available for MP's who are on committees or who are junior minister's etc..

The salary should reflect the average wage of the people you represent therefore you will always be in touch with how the general public feel.

I would advocate an MP's salary should mirror the average working wage in the country.
That's ridiculous. The average wage in the UK is less than £30k. Your salary should reflect your role and responsibilities as an MP. If someone in the private sector worked the hours of an MP and did the type of work MPs do, they would be earning a lot more than £65k.

Don't forget that MPs can and do earn money outside Parliament at the same time.

Maguire01

Quote from: MW on May 13, 2009, 11:21:40 PM

Lets not forget the many add-ons that are available for MP's who are on committees or who are junior minister's etc..

The salary should reflect the average wage of the people you represent therefore you will always be in touch with how the general public feel.

I would advocate an MP's salary should mirror the average working wage in the country.
That's ridiculous. The average wage in the UK is less than £30k. Your salary should reflect your role and responsibilities as an MP. If someone in the private sector worked the hours of an MP and did the type of work MPs do, they would be earning a lot more than £65k.

Don't forget that MPs can and do earn money outside Parliament at the same time.
Fair enough. But if they don't do their main job properly, the public can and should give them the boot.
I still maintain that the time inputs and competence that should be required to be an MP would not be reflected by a 30k salary.

Onion Bag

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 13, 2009, 08:57:23 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on May 13, 2009, 02:13:03 PM
They are all a bundle of b**tards, FACT

Just the Shinners? Or MPs in general?

Oh every single last one of them, and i will never vote again, cudnt give a shite anymore
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

glens abu

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 13, 2009, 04:08:14 PM
Quote from: glens abu on May 13, 2009, 02:07:11 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 13, 2009, 01:41:30 PM
Sure werent the Shinners paying something like £4000 per month rent on a London flat when the going rate was £1500 ? You wouldnt mind those boyos in if you were a landlord.........

2 flats,and claiming in total £1800 per month each,dont believe everything you read in the Telegraph cause dont know many rooms in London you could rent for much less than £450 week,also Sinn Fein politicians take home approx £300 week wages the same as every other employee of the party including,office staff,drivers,researchers,etc;I understand you may not like or agree with Sinn Fein but I can assure you all those employed by the party earn thier £300 as they work long hours for thier constituents.

According to the telegraph:
QuoteThe party's two best-known figures, Gerry Adams, the party leader, and Martin McGuinness, Northern Ireland's deputy first minister, jointly claimed expenses of £3,600 a month to rent a shared two-bedroom flat in north London. A local estate agent, who knows the properties, said a fair monthly rent for the flat would be £1,400.

The three other Sinn Fein MPs together claimed £5,400 a month to rent a shared, modern town house, which the estate agent said would rent on the open market for around £1,800 a month. At other times some of the MPs have stayed in a third property, another two-bedroom flat.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5301510/MPs-expenses-Sinn-Fein-claimed-500000-for-second-homes.html

That's £9,000 per month - not the £1,800 you claim. And whatever about not believing what you read in the Telegraph, SF have pretty much confirmed the Telegraph's claims. So unless you know better than both the Telegraph and those making and receiving the claims (i.e. SF), you must be bluffing.

And yes, SF pay themselves an 'industrial wage' - fair enough, that's their choice.
Does the point not remain that they're ripping off the tax payer, whether or not they're benefitting personally?

No Maguire i was not bluffing,that is what i said £1,800 month each,5 MPs divided into £9000 = £1800month=£450 week each room which includes car parking maintenance and cleaning,now I dont know much about property in central London but I would have thought £450 week to stay there wasnt too bad.I do not believe everything I read in the Telegraph and what their fictitious estate agents say about the value of the properties because I know going by their past record on the Irish and Sinn Fein in particular they would be very happy if Sinn Fein MPs went to London on business and slept in the gutter,sorry Maguire but days of being sent to the back of the bus are over even if you dont want them to be.  

ziggysego

Tory MP Andrew MacKay has quit the Conservatives. Apparently he had voluntarily submitted his expense claims to party officials and these had revealed "an unacceptable situation that would not stand up to reasonable public scrutiny".

Sounds like he was sacked.
Testing Accessibility

thebigfella

Quote from: ziggysego on May 14, 2009, 10:53:37 AM
Tory MP Andrew MacKay has quit the Conservatives. Apparently he had voluntarily submitted his expense claims to party officials and these had revealed "an unacceptable situation that would not stand up to reasonable public scrutiny".

Must be the hookers on the old tax payers credit card

Maguire01

Quote from: glens abu on May 14, 2009, 10:44:55 AM
No Maguire i was not bluffing,that is what i said £1,800 month each,5 MPs divided into £9000 = £1800month=£450 week each room which includes car parking maintenance and cleaning
Fair enough.

now I dont know much about property in central London but I would have thought £450 week to stay there wasnt too bad. I do not believe everything I read in the Telegraph and what their fictitious estate agents say about the value of the properties
Only SF are renting flats in North London, not Central London. But maybe the Telegraph did have fictitious estate agents - who knows? Why are you so sure?

I know going by their past record on the Irish and Sinn Fein in particular they would be very happy if Sinn Fein MPs went to London on business and slept in the gutter
Yes, SF's MPs are are the only MPs being exposed at the minute.

sorry Maguire but days of being sent to the back of the bus are over even if you dont want them to be.   
And that's just a rant. Who is talking about the back of a bus? Sure all MPs are chauffeur driven now anyway.
As i have said above, the expenses of all parties are being exposed. There's no need to claim victimisation here.

Bensars

Quote from: ziggysego on May 14, 2009, 10:53:37 AM

His wife is also an MP.  She was  claiming for a second home in london. He then said it was this full time home and claimed on their original home as his  second.

"It appears Bracknell MP Andrew MacKay and his wife Bromsgrove Tory MP Julie Kirkbride both claimed a second home allowance - one for their London home and one for their constituency home, leaving them two second homes but no main home"

Honest to f*** , if this was the private sector, they'd all face instant dismissal.

On a different note i heard that some of the "locals" had claimed for 2k worth of televisions, however the individual concerned has not been named yet.   Is it just me, or is there a certain element who normally prostitute themselves to the media remaining remarkably tight lipped recently ?

glens abu

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 14, 2009, 01:49:44 PM
No Maguire i was not bluffing,that is what i said £1,800 month each,5 MPs divided into £9000 = £1800month=£450 week each room which includes car parking maintenance and cleaning
Fair enough.

now I dont know much about property in central London but I would have thought £450 week to stay there wasnt too bad. I do not believe everything I read in the Telegraph and what their fictitious estate agents say about the value of the properties
Only SF are renting flats in North London, not Central London. But maybe the Telegraph did have fictitious estate agents - who knows? Why are you so sure?

I know going by their past record on the Irish and Sinn Fein in particular they would be very happy if Sinn Fein MPs went to London on business and slept in the gutter
Yes, SF's MPs are are the only MPs being exposed at the minute.

sorry Maguire but days of being sent to the back of the bus are over even if you dont want them to be.   
And that's just a rant. Who is talking about the back of a bus? Sure all MPs are chauffeur driven now anyway.
As i have said above, the expenses of all parties are being exposed. There's no need to claim victimisation here.

Yeah the expenses of all parties being exposed,but Sinn Fein have not claimed any expenses other than rent paid to a landlord for somewhere for them to sleep when they are in London,however if you and the Telegraph think they should sleep in a hostel or kip down on a sofa well think again because as I have already told you the days at the back of the bus are over,not looking for anything more than anyone else but definetly not going to settle for anything less.

Roger

Quote from: glens abu on May 14, 2009, 02:16:46 PM
Yeah the expenses of all parties being exposed,but Sinn Fein have not claimed any expenses other than rent paid to a landlord for somewhere for them to sleep when they are in London,however if you and the Telegraph think they should sleep in a hostel or kip down on a sofa well think again because as I have already told you the days at the back of the bus are over,not looking for anything more than anyone else but definetly not going to settle for anything less.
Is there any word on who exactly was the landlord of the SF flats? 

ziggysego

Quote from: Roger on May 14, 2009, 04:00:28 PM
Quote from: glens abu on May 14, 2009, 02:16:46 PM
Is there any word on who exactly was the landlord of the SF flats? 

Why, what differences does that make Roger?
Testing Accessibility

longrunsthefox

I know Roger but I was told not to tell you  ;)

Capt Pat

Quote from: Chrisowc on May 13, 2009, 09:46:33 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on May 13, 2009, 02:35:36 AM
David Cameron accused the mps who have been exposed in recent days for claiming money that they were not entitled to were"abusing tax payers money". Maybe it is the way I was brought up but "abusing" is not the term that colmes to mind I think steaing tax payers money would have been more approtpriate. One MP apparently claimed for hanging a chandalier in his house.

Steaing isn't a term that colmes to mind either.

I think "stealing" is the one that is most appropriate for some of this carry on myself. What word would you use? If a tax collector had been walking around with a bag of money he had collected and a petty criminal had grabbed it off him  and run away with it, it would have been called strealing. Whit collar equivalents of stealing are just as bad if not worse in my opinion.

Capt Pat

What exactly are they doing. Just because the commons is open from 11 in the morning until 11 at night does not mean they are there all the time. Even if they are there all they are doing is sitting there and falling asleep for the most part. The other thing about the job is it should not be the money that is attractive but the ability to make a difference and have powere and influence.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 14, 2009, 04:35:50 PM

What exactly are they doing. Just because the commons is open from 11 in the morning until 11 at night does not mean they are there all the time. Even if they are there all they are doing is sitting there and falling asleep for the most part. The other thing about the job is it should not be the money that is attractive but the ability to make a difference and have powere and influence.
Pat, those days are long gone, politicians are mostly in it for the ego trip nowadays, this expenses fiasco has shown them all to be a bunch of greedy hoors.  Even Sylvia Hermon was at it FFS, but she rather appallingly blamed her husbands death for her theft!!  They all arrogantly defended themselves with the 'it was within the rules' blurb yet failed to recognise the rules have been badly skewed for a long time, we are all watching our cash and these greedy bastards are ripping us all off.  As Onion Bag said it would make you seriously consider not voting again.