Leitrim v Roscommon 12-6-11

Started by Blowitupref, May 25, 2011, 12:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 12, 2011, 10:07:57 PM
QuoteThe size of the chip on your shoulder would make you topple over only for the balance the one on your other shoulder provides

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile!!! ::)

Ah, I like Ros really, but it's more fun to have ye as the enemy. Ye are very good at playing the part, that's a compliment by the way  ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

imtommygunn

Micky Moran was nearly more positive after today's game than the Sligo game :o

(I like Mickey Moran - Brolly takes out personal agendas against him on tv which, I think, gets to him.)

Jinxy

Leitrim players have been talking up their training regime under some boxing coach in the past week.
I dunno what he has them doing because they were physically the weakest intercounty team I've seen in a long time.
Anytime they went to ground they couldn't get back on their feet with a man standing over them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

I disagree. There's something in that Leitrim team that's not far away from a provincial title. It's probably a forward who's prepared to execute something which goes against the Moran system. Roscommon were the more talented and clinical team but Leitrim had enough possession to do damage. They seem to either have no forward line or are incapaple of hitting them. Also, surely there are 2-3 heavier, stronger plodders to throw their weight about.

Rocommon are maturing alright and possess an admirable forward line in terms of sheer strength but they seem to be happy to give up a lot of possession to teams like Leitrim.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross matt

Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 12, 2011, 10:07:57 PM
QuoteThe size of the chip on your shoulder would make you topple over only for the balance the one on your other shoulder provides

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile!!! ::)

I'd say that'll be lost on him Jack.

spuds

All the reverse passing and quick hands between the 45s is fine but as Ross had so many men behind the ball as soon as Leitrim gave up posession they were hit on the break. The amount of times Leitrim handpasses were given to feet etc. was terrible, posession was handed over too cheaply. Whatever way Leitrim were set up it wasn't to maximise scoring.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ross matt

Quote from: ONeill on June 13, 2011, 12:02:40 AM
I disagree. There's something in that Leitrim team that's not far away from a provincial title. It's probably a forward who's prepared to execute something which goes against the Moran system. Roscommon were the more talented and clinical team but Leitrim had enough possession to do damage. They seem to either have no forward line or are incapaple of hitting them. Also, surely there are 2-3 heavier, stronger plodders to throw their weight about.

Rocommon are maturing alright and possess an admirable forward line in terms of sheer strength but they seem to be happy to give up a lot of possession to teams like Leitrim.

Dunno O'Neill. Thought Roscommon dominated possession today and did what was required of them.

ONeill

Maybe stats will back you up but it seemed that, even with the wind, Roscommon's game was more of a hassling the man in possession than winning it. I thought Leitrim had serious possession against the wind as well as with it but hadn't a feckin clue what to do with it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross matt

Quote from: ONeill on June 13, 2011, 12:37:28 AM
Maybe stats will back you up but it seemed that, even with the wind, Roscommon's game was more of a hassling the man in possession than winning it. I thought Leitrim had serious possession against the wind as well as with it but hadn't a feckin clue what to do with it.

No I havent seen the stats but I thought Finneran at mf and Shine inside won a huge amount of primary possession. That being said if Galway or Mayo had the same amount of ball as Leitrim they certainly would have done damage with it.

highorlow

Couldn't believe that Leitrim opted to play against the wind in the first half? That was a really bad decision.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

ross matt

I know. I heard they won the toss alright. Crazy decision.

highorlow

QuoteCrazy decision.

I wonder who made it? Mickey Moran mentioned on the SG that it was decided to play against the wind in the first half.... I think maybe the players overruled him. May not have made a difference to the outcome but I would think that if you are the underdog you take whatever advantage is going when you get it.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

ross matt

Quote from: highorlow on June 13, 2011, 12:11:29 PM
QuoteCrazy decision.

I wonder who made it? Mickey Moran mentioned on the SG that it was decided to play against the wind in the first half.... I think maybe the players overruled him. May not have made a difference to the outcome but I would think that if you are the underdog you take whatever advantage is going when you get it.

Yeah to be fair to him he was pretty protective of his players... also saying one midfielder was injured and another had a bad day so I guess if it was their decision he wasnt going to blame them. Then again if Shine hadnt got the goal and they were say only a few points down at half time it would have been hailed as a good decision. But they should have packed their defence for the 1st half if they were going to go that toute.

Rossie11

Moran did mention that they heard the conditions were going to get worse in the 2nd half so that was behind his decision. Either way they needed to keep the score down in the first half. Once they didnt it was going to be impossible to get enough even with the wind.

From a Ross point of view I was very happy with the performance. The team as a whole is gaining confidence with every win and this is huge for a relatively young side. Up to 18months ago Ross had developed a losing habit and it drained the confidence out of guys. Been in division 4 has undoubtedly helped with the improvement and added to Bridgets run in the club championship most of the players haven't tasted too many defeats the past year which helps progress up the ladder.

One part of the game which I would have a concern about was the distribution from midfield/HF into the front men.
They mixed the bad with the good and Donies goal came from a miskick.
If you had the likes of Dolan hitting Shine and Senan accurately they would do even more damage.
In that regard we are missing David O Gara bigtime as he is the most natural playmaker in the panel.
Anyone any idea how his injury is coming along?

All in all after Sunday the pressure is off, 2 potential banana skins out of the way, and the players can look forward to a home Connacht final as underdogs in front of what should be the biggest crowd in the Hyde in ten years.

magpie seanie

Quote from: ONeill on June 13, 2011, 12:37:28 AM

That's the hallmark of MM teams, it certainly was when he was in Sligo. some adapted form of rugby league it looks like. The reason Leitrim were able to beat Sligo is that Sligo didn't work hard enough or defend in enough number and eventually a gap opened for a Leitrim player to sail through and kick a score from 25 yards in front of the goals.