St Patricks Day

Started by Radda bout yeee, March 15, 2011, 10:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radda bout yeee

Is the political landscape changing? I see the green white and gold bunting up the whole way through Cookstown. I also see tricolours on top red white and blue poles - UNBELIEVABLE!!!  :P

Orior

Should the do-gooders who are calling for integrated education also call for the end of other divisive things such as:

1) Elimination of St Patricks day
2) Elimination of 12th July Celebrations
3) Elimination of GAA
4) Elimination of the Orange Order
etc
etc
etc
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Up The Middle

think its just the fact that all the parades are in Cookstown this year. Give it till Friday they will all be burnt down
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

winsamsoon

It is only but fair that all sections can fly flags and emblems. Afterall equality is at the forefront but they should be taken down after the celebrations. They are left to hang for weeks on end and make the area look like a slum
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

armaghniac

QuoteThey are left to hang for weeks on end and make the area look like a slum

In some of the most enthusiastically decorated areas, they would still look like a slum even if they were taken down. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: winsamsoon on March 15, 2011, 11:03:42 AM
It is only but fair that all sections can fly flags and emblems. Afterall equality is at the forefront but they should be taken down after the celebrations. They are left to hang for weeks on end and make the area look like a slum

I agree but the proddies really like to rub your nose in it! The poles that hold the welcome brethren banner are painted red white and blue all year long in coookstown! Its a shite when you have to enter and exit a town with red white blue poles on the way in and way out!!!!  >:(

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orior on March 15, 2011, 11:02:11 AM
Should the do-gooders who are calling for integrated education also call for the end of other divisive things such as:

3) Elimination of GAA
etc
etc
etc

No, they should be calling for the integration of the 'other' communities into those events.

Tony Baloney

3) Elimination of GAA
etc
etc
etc
St Patrick's Day is becoming more popular amongst prods so it doesn't need to be eliminated. The OO does though :)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2011, 11:36:38 AM

3) Elimination of GAA
etc
etc
etc
No, they should be calling for the integration of the 'other' communities into those events.
The OO can't really call for integration with "the other side" so it would be a waste of time to ask them to do so. The Twelfth is held on the streets so they'll argue no-one is prevented from attending, although the attendance of scumbags and Kick the Pope bands are an obvious issue for right-thinking prods and all Catholics.

isourboydownyet

you know what really winds nme up every st patricks day?all our politicians head off to america,can you imagine the crap obama would get if he celebrated the 4th of july in another country!

Poc me

The Orange Orders rules highleights it as specifically sectarian. There would be no point in inclusion as you simply cannot become a member if you are a Catholic or are married to a Catholic. I'm sure they would be open to all other non-catholic ethnic minorities... ::)

The GAA is aiming for inclusivity. I would like to see it where the level of acceptance of Rugby within nationalist communities could be replicated in unionist communities for the GAA. It is great to see the use of the traditional 'Ulster' flag (with the de Burgh cross) in greater numbers as opposed to simpkly the 'northern irish provincial' flag.

unitedireland

holylands thursday anyone?? :)

Applesisapples

Quote from: Poc me on March 15, 2011, 01:46:04 PM
The Orange Orders rules highleights it as specifically sectarian. There would be no point in inclusion as you simply cannot become a member if you are a Catholic or are married to a Catholic. I'm sure they would be open to all other non-catholic ethnic minorities... ::)

The GAA is aiming for inclusivity. I would like to see it where the level of acceptance of Rugby within nationalist communities could be replicated in unionist communities for the GAA. It is great to see the use of the traditional 'Ulster' flag (with the de Burgh cross) in greater numbers as opposed to simpkly the 'northern Irish provincial' flag.
That is not the Northern Irish provincial flag but the Unofficial Flag of the old Northern Ireland Parliament before it was prorogued in 1972. It has no constitutional basis but has been adopted by Loyalists.

Poc me

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 15, 2011, 02:31:26 PM
Quote from: Poc me on March 15, 2011, 01:46:04 PM

The GAA is aiming for inclusivity. I would like to see it where the level of acceptance of Rugby within nationalist communities could be replicated in unionist communities for the GAA. It is great to see the use of the traditional 'Ulster' flag (with the de Burgh cross) in greater numbers as opposed to simpkly the 'northern Irish provincial' flag.
That is not the Northern Irish provincial flag but the Unofficial Flag of the old Northern Ireland Parliament before it was prorogued in 1972. It has no constitutional basis but has been adopted by Loyalists.

Did you not see the inverted commas???

deiseach

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on March 15, 2011, 10:39:50 AM
Is the political landscape changing? I see the green white and gold bunting up the whole way through Cookstown.

Is Cookstown now in Offaly?