Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clov

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 05, 2015, 07:17:40 AM
Do people think a Brexit will come about?

I thought a year ago that it had a real chance of happening - UKIP vote on the rise, the majority of the Tory party in favour of exit. But Scottish referendum changed my mind. I think like it there will be sizeable minorities both for and against with the rest undecided in the lead up. And in the end the status quo will prevail as a vote for exit is a vote for uncertainty.

Its interesting to speculate though, what would have to happen between now and then for the out vote to win? A deeper migrant crisis? Another euro financial crisis?
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

deiseach

Scotland is the wild card. I can't work out if the people of England, who are going to be the ones who decide this, would rather hold onto them or be rid of them. Rejecting Brexit might not keep Scotland in the Union in the long run, but accepting Brexit sure as heck would see them leave in the shortest run possible.

Clov

Don't underestimate English indifference to how their neighbours (and the wider world) views them. I live in the south of England and i was struck by how uninformed on even the basic terms of the independence debate some English friends of mine were.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

deiseach

Quote from: Clov on November 05, 2015, 12:05:09 PM
Don't underestimate English indifference to how their neighbours (and the wider world) views them. I live in the south of England and i was struck by how uninformed on even the basic terms of the independence debate some English friends of mine were.

Do you think 'indifference' will make them more or less likely to vote for Brexit?

Clov

Quote from: deiseach on November 05, 2015, 12:19:20 PM
Quote from: Clov on November 05, 2015, 12:05:09 PM

Do you think 'indifference' will make them more or less likely to vote for Brexit?

It would have to be more i think. The whole European project is predicated on the mutual benefits of closer co-operation and integration. The English on the whole don't seem to me to be very concerned with mutual benefits.

deiseach

I think you are right. Plenty of people would think the notion that the EU is predicated on the mutual benefits of closer co-operation and integration to be a load of waffle, in the same way that the primacy of the club player in the GAA might be legitimately viewed as waffle. However, you'd never get anyone arguing that the primacy of the club player is a bad thing, while you will get loads of people arguing that closer co-operation within Europe is a bad thing in principle. People who think the EU is a sinister cabal to force everyone to drink half-litres rather than pints will be given a respectable hearing rather than being told to get a grip.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: T Fearon on November 01, 2015, 06:55:33 PM
Simple point.Why does anything the British do,politically or otherwise,concern Irish politicians,except some action that affects the North?

There are the Republic's largest export market.

Exports have been the primary driver of the Republic's recovery:
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/exports-the-primary-driver-of-economic-turnaround-1.2221285

Being in the common EU trade area facilitates this trade.  So what UK does "politically or otherwise" has everything to do with our economic health.   I hope our politicians are concerned about this economic health (among other things).

/Jim.

Rossfan

How much of GB's exports go to the EU?
Who will they sell to if they pull out?
By the way I believe us little 4.6m are GB's 4 largest export market.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Anybody know the current state of play, opinion polls etc on this?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on November 05, 2015, 04:32:44 PM
How much of GB's exports go to the EU?
Who will they sell to if they pull out?
By the way I believe us little 4.6m are GB's 4 largest export market.

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/gbr/

The top export destinations of the United Kingdom are the United States ($50.2B), Germany ($46.6B), the Netherlands ($36B), France ($28.8B) and Belgium-Luxembourg ($25.1B). The top import origins are Germany ($88.8B), China ($55.2B), the Netherlands ($52.1B), France ($39B) and the United States ($37.8B).
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

Cameron to visit the six counties to encourage vote to stay in.About to witness the irony of a British Tory Prime Minister being supported by nationalist parties and voters and opposed by unionists!

AQMP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35590962

A survey of business people in Northern Ireland has found that 81% will vote for the UK to remain in the European Union (EU).

A referendum on the UK's membership of the EU is expected to be held later this year.
A major survey by the Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce suggests only 11% of business people in Northern Ireland support a British exit (Brexit).  That compares to 30% of those surveyed in the rest of the UK.

More than half (60%) of Northern Ireland's senior businesspeople polled in the survey revealed that the outcome of Prime Minister David Cameron's renegotiated EU deal is unlikely to change how they will vote.  The results come on the eve of crunch Brussels talks, which are expected to result in a deal.  Despite a large majority of Northern Ireland firms (89%) saying they are following the debate, the findings demonstrate that the renegotiation process is having little effect on business opinion.

It is the referendum itself that is important, rather than any package of reforms.  Eighty-four per cent of Northern Ireland businesses also say that there has been no impact on their sales and orders as of yet, due to the uncertainty of Britain's future within the EU.  Commenting on the results, President of Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce Stephen McCully said the findings suggest that "the renegotiation is having little impact on day-to-day business - or the vote of the business community".

He said that this was because many made up their minds before knowing the outcome of negotiations, effectively discounting them as irrelevant.  "For business people, this is a question of in or out," he said.  "Those within Northern Ireland who are firmly wedded to the EU have said that Brexit will leave us stranded outside the EU, and coping with the re-emergence of a land border with the Republic of Ireland.  "Emotion has a part in all decision making and it will do so here, but there is a duty to ensure decisions are as well informed as they can be."

Jeepers Creepers

The DUP are going to activiely support a 'Brexit'. Will be an interesting conversation telling their farmer friends they will be 360 mill+ worse off.

seafoid

It is just too uncertain for the UK to leave
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

No wides

Quote from: seafoid on February 17, 2016, 10:46:40 AM
It is just too uncertain for the UK to leave

The people of the UK will leave, you made some random point on another thread that the city won't allow them to leave - is that the white city?