An Ordinary Fan

Started by Armaghtothebone, April 29, 2007, 05:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on May 03, 2007, 10:31:21 AM
Its only fair that after Donegal invested in their stadium that they get games to hold in it.....maybe Armagh with such huge numbers of supporters would be interested in building their own stadium to use...or do they feel the support will dry away in a few years time???

Fair on who DFS?
All the summer fans will be there no doubt!!

HalfFitHalfBack

MagpieSeanie - you refering to the Armagh v Sligo replay in 2002? It should have been a home game for Armagh but Sligo cried that much that they didn't want to go to Clones that the game was switched to Navan? Didn't matter much anyway did it?

1 ticket per club member is not much use if you have 2 or 3 kids to bring along too - kids that you've brought to all the league games, then come the first big game of the season you have to tell them that they can't go.

Obviously Donegal are out for every advantage they can get, and I've no doubt that most counties would do the same. However, it now means that many thousands of people who would have attended this match are being locked out.

What a great way to promote our games.

Bacon

Armagh - the Dubs of the North.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

inthemaking

BTW Seanie real fans travel to Portlaoise to see the U21's or Waterford to see their team in the first qualifying round (2003).
[/quote]

there is no way you can use waterford as an exam ple of real fans as you quite remember our U21 team were playin in an ulster semi final against down that very day in casement

armaghniac

Quotethere is no way you can use Waterford as an example of real fans as you quite remember our U21 team were playin in an ulster semi final against down that very day in casement

Was it not a minor game in Casement that day? Why can this not be used as an example of a real fan, to my mind attendance at either the qualifier or the minor game suggests that you are not just a once a year blowin. Nobody is suggesting that non-attendance at Waterford rules you out from being a "real fan".

Lecale refers to "so called Armagh fans", if someone has been supporting Armagh since 1999 and has gone to perhaps 50 games spending €2000 on admissions they are entitled to be called a fan, without the use of the term "so called". The question is whether fans as such should be encouraged to attend games or whether games are a conclave of fior-Gaels only. I think the GAA should encourage wide attendance within their county. Live attendance for all at an important game is one advantage of the GAA over armchair participation in the Champions League etc and people should not be disparaged for wanting to go!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

QuoteLess of the joking. Armagh get fierce tetchy if they have to play championship gmes anywhere other than Clones or Croker. Maybe they'll boycott this one.

I didn't see anything tetchy about Armagh against Sligo IN NAVAN a few years back.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 29, 2007, 11:27:29 PM
Less of the joking. Armagh get fierce tetchy if they have to play championship gmes anywhere other than Clones or Croker. Maybe they'll boycott this one.

The use of ancient history in this context can be, in the loosest sense of the word humourous ( ::)), but it does not do much for the actual argument at hand!

I stated on another thread that this same fixture, two years ago, attracted an attendance of 26,000 plus to Clones. Donegal are now on a roll, and I would assume have generated a lot of interest in the County, and thus it would have been reasonable to suggest that Clones's capacity of 37k would have been tested.

That said, Donegal have invested in Ballybofey, and on this basis they get the match. Does it follow that similar investment elsewhere will see other provincial venues getting games? And if so, what is the level of investment that has now been set, or indeed capacity for that matter? Or would it be simply a case of a degree of canvassing taking place in whispered conversations, of the sort that promised return favours when other new venues come up for consideration as possible Ulster Championship hosts?

My own club as an example are expecting to get something in the region of 140 - 180 tickets, with demand normally over 220 for each game! People will miss out - of that there is no doubt! But sure that ain't what the GAA is about - sure is it?

Armagh4SamAgain

Well said  Rufus. i agree 10%!
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Bacon

Did you get a ticket for the match "Ordinary Fan"?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Muzz

Brilliant...all the complaining and you could have filled a mini bus full of kids and got tickets because "ordinary fans" werent willing to travel.  Muppets!

Mike Sheehy

Well, by jesus, the next time I hear an Armagh fan complaining about Kerry fans I'll refer them to this thread.

All the hullabloo and they sent back 2000 tickets !!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 20, 2007, 11:05:56 PM
Well, by jesus, the next time I hear an Armagh fan complaining about Kerry fans I'll refer them to this thread.

All the hullabloo and they sent back 2000 tickets !!

You'll have no need Mike - for the next time I hear an Armagh fan complain about anyone, I'll remind them myself!!  >:(

Spiritof98

Seriously, our name was pulled out 2nd in the hat, we had to go away, so fu*king what, you guys really our giving the Armagh fans a bad name, plus this is a month ago, how about get on to your County board and tell them to sort their own pitch out and forget about a holiday for a year.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Sky Blue

I'd forgotten about this! Well done bacon for reminding everybody. Pathetic.
;D ;D ;D

Mike Sheehy

I'm no ordinary fan
I'm very special very grand
I pay my dough
and watch them when I want

Now  Donegal it aint no dump
but I cant be bothered to get off my rump
So when the whistle blows
Tough luck joe thats the way it goes
Chances are I'll be at H-O-M-E

Now I never miss a big game and v Donegal just aint the same