The Dubliners - end of an era.

Started by balladmaker, November 13, 2012, 04:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

It looks like Vicar Street on December 30th will be the last show for The Dubliners ... end of an era in many ways, how Ireland has changed since they first started off in 1962!

Luke Kelly, Ciaran Bourke, Ronnie Drew, Barney McKenna, John Sheahan (1963) ... in later years, Sean Cannon, Jim McCann, Eamonn Campbell, Paddy Reilly, Patsy Watchorn ...

http://www.thedubliners.org/retirement.html

theticklemister

Sure the Wolfe Tones were retiring years ago too, and they are still going strong! (Mind ye they are all still alive)

When bands opt to retire I'll wait for a while to see if they do actually retire.

andoireabu

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

IolarCoisCuain

I'm glad they're finishing up. They were magnificent, but only John Sheahan is left now of the originals. Best to go gently into the night, knowing their legacy is secure. We should remember them in their pomp, at the height of their powers, rather than as old men.

Speaking of: Jim McCann was very interesting talking about Farewell to Carlingford on the Luke Kelly DVD that was out a few years ago. He said that while the song isn't lyrically all that fantastic - and it's really not - it's a great song to sing because it's quite hard to sing. You need a soaring type of voice to be able to sing it. A voice like this one, say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia_nfXitlUc

Eamonnca1

That statement doesn't say they're retiring. It says they're taking a break from touring at the end of the year and they're touring Germany for the last time.  Did I miss something?

balladmaker

oakleafgael

Quote from: theticklemister on November 13, 2012, 04:31:08 PM
Sure the Wolfe Tones were retiring years ago too, and they are still going strong! (Mind ye they are all still alive)

When bands opt to retire I'll wait for a while to see if they do actually retire.

You do The Dubliners a grave disservice mentioning the Wolfe Tones in the same breath.

theticklemister

It was the word retirement that was the key concept here. Plus the two bands were formed in dublin within a two year period.

Hardy

Quote from: theticklemister on November 14, 2012, 01:11:58 PM
It was the word retirement that was the key concept here. Plus the two bands were formed in dublin within a two year period.

The word 'band' is a key concept, too.

balladmaker

An appropriate song for The Dubliners to perform in Vicar Street on Dec 30th:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn0zyAFMCiE

Bud Wiser

Quote from: balladmaker on November 14, 2012, 12:55:43 PM
The clue is in the link syntax ... http://www.thedubliners.org/retirement.html

Nah, the Dubliners will be going for the next 125 years.  Patsy Watchorn is a Laois man anyway.
The retirement part in the symtex has to do with the fact that a family called the Brogans made a block booking.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

theticklemister

Fifty year anniversary show on tv3 right now

sans pessimism

Quote from: theticklemister on November 13, 2012, 04:31:08 PM

Comparing apples n rotten spuds
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

All of a Sludden

Quote from: theticklemister on December 19, 2012, 09:09:23 PM
Fifty year anniversary show on tv3 right now

Nice one.

The Dubliners will also be appearing with Jools Holland on New Years Eve.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 14, 2012, 12:09:17 AM
That statement doesn't say they're retiring. It says they're taking a break from touring at the end of the year and they're touring Germany for the last time.  Did I miss something?
You did Eamo.John Sheehan called it
a few weeks ago on the LL show.Vicar St is the end of the line.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"