Dublin 'Hotel' of the Thousand Welcomes....NOT!

Started by balladmaker, September 23, 2010, 12:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: leenie on September 23, 2010, 11:20:59 PM
but I'm saying he wasn't professional in giving his word nor did know his customer base very well! after all it was all ireland day.. perhaps I'd be more understanding it was quarter final maybe even a semi, but it was an all ireland, our national sport, played in the capital city where this hotel is, where thousands had journey too....and i would imagine that last weekend was one of the busiest for this hotel...

"you don't bite the hand that feeds you"...

and yes you could comment about ac comadating tourists but from what i gather those Americans were not residents.

i know from reading about this I'd never book to stay there...
i agree that it was a stupid decision, but having made it, he was right to stick by it.  And my understanding was that the americans were tourists, residents or not - good promotion for the welcoming ireland brand etc

pintsofguinness

Quote from: balladmaker on September 23, 2010, 08:15:28 PM
QuoteA few things....
1. If there's no children allowed in the bar a 6 month old baby (sleeping or not) qualifies, if they make an exception where would they draw the line?
2. Why does it matter if the girl doing her job had broken English?
3. How do you know so much about the boys watching the NFL? You say they weren't residents, friends of the manager, weren't drinking and had made arrangements to see the game? Did someone shine a light in their face and quiz them?
4. You "watched in horror"? Really?  That's a bit dramatic....

1: Received phone call apology from hotel this evening, in response to my complaint which I made on Monday when checking out.  Their policy is no children in the bar area after 7pm and their 'new' member of staff was obviously incorrect. 
2: I would expect any hotel worker in a Dublin hotel to at least be fluent in English and not have to repeat a message several times before being understood.  Couldn't care less what country they hail from, so long as they are fluent.
3: A bar man in the hotel told me so.
4: The hotel manager lost the plot, while being reasonably quized as to why he wouldn't stick the game on for the packed bar, and proceeded to bang the counter repeatedly and verbally abuse a paying resident in the hotel.  So I "watched in horror"....not dramatic at all imo.  I assume you were not present, and if not, well you're hardly in a position to make comment.

2  She wouldn't be the only one working with the public and not being a fluent as the locals in the language...
4. You didn't tell us any of that in the several posts you've made but even so I still think your use of "horror" is a bit dramatic.  It's not like you seen someone gunned down or butchered to death. 

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: haranguerer on September 23, 2010, 08:29:27 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 23, 2010, 06:40:25 PM

I agree that the hotel can have its own policies, and actually respect the manager for sticking to his promise to put on the nfl game despite obvious pressure, but stating the above seems like a stupid attempt to suggest 'racist'. I despise people who try to shove that label on others, becuase theres such a taboo around it. What does it matter if someone who's job predominantly consists of dealing with the public, can't speak the prevailing language properly??? Are you serious??!! Its like appointing someone who can hardly turn a computer on as head of IT support...
Where I live there are several shops, pubs, restaurants etc where those who work there would speak poor enough English - it's quite common you know...I speak perfect English but I still have to repeat myself three or four times to ignorant c***ts who turn off their ears as soon as they detect someone isn't exactly like them so I would have sympathy for the girl
people come and do their best to find a job and make a living etc give them a f**king chance...
I'm not suggesting balladmaker is racist but I do pick up from his posts that things that irritated him on his stay in Dublin was a girl in a hotel who'd poor English and non Irish bar staff in pubs. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Zapatista

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 24, 2010, 02:31:37 AM
Where I live there are several shops, pubs, restaurants etc where those who work there would speak poor enough English - it's quite common you know...I speak perfect English but I still have to repeat myself three or four times to ignorant c***ts who turn off their ears as soon as they detect someone isn't exactly like them so I would have sympathy for the girl
people come and do their best to find a job and make a living etc give them a f**king chance...
I'm not suggesting balladmaker is racist but I do pick up from his posts that things that irritated him on his stay in Dublin was a girl in a hotel who'd poor English and non Irish bar staff in pubs.

I hear this all the time at work. We have a few Polish girls with fluent English who take phone calls from time to time. Sometimes when they get an angry customer the customer would start to make problems up in their heads about language barriers. On one occasion recently I got fed up with it.
Customer called and I took the call. He with quite angry that he had left a message yesterday and that it hadn't been followed up on. I asked who he was talking to and he said he left a message with a foreign girl and that we shouldn't have people taking messages who can't speak English. I told him that that isn't possible and that all our staff have fluent English and asked was it possible he phoned the wrong number? He didn't take too kindly to this but we got it resolved.
I see it across the board. A heavily accented person with perfect English can often be accused of having bad English to explain any sort of misunderstanding. In other words, 'it's not my fault it's yours'. In many cases when these people are met in a relaxed atmosphere they recieve comments on how good their English.

maggie

Quote from: Rois on September 23, 2010, 04:06:07 PM
Quote from: ross4life on September 23, 2010, 03:41:55 PM

Have stayed in the Russell Court a few time's it's one of the better budget Dublin Hotels IMO though some rooms are better than others.. for example don't get a room on the side of the DART bridge

Is the Russell Court not on Harcourt St?  I walk up Harcourt St every day now and was in Dicey's last night and could swear it's attached to the Russell Court.  I want to know where they're hiding the DART bridge!

Yea, it is.
Bag of sh**e that it is.  Awful room. Hateful bouncers.
Paid 35 yo-yos for parking when we stayed there for the All-ireland semi final and then when we stayed in the citywest for the final, it was the same for a taxi into the city. Stung, either way.

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2010, 01:30:02 PM
Maybe there's a genesis of a thread here. Take cost out of it, as much as is possible, and what hotels would you recommend that you've stayed in?

In Ireland I would heartily recommend

Leisure/Holiday

Connemara Coast, Furbo - Galway
Dunraven Arms, Adare - Limerick
Plaza, Killarney - Kerry
Ballygarry House, Tralee - Kerry

Business

Bewley's Dublin Airport, especially if you are flying.

Solis Lough Eske, 5km outside Donegal Town.  Next to Harveys Point and head and shoulders above it (IMO)
In your Endo!

seafoid

Cashel House hotel in Cashel/Caiseal i gConamara  - great place for leisure

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on September 24, 2010, 02:01:22 PM
Cashel House hotel in Cashel/Caiseal i gConamara  - great place for leisure

Agree completely. First class. Stayed there with the missus a year or two ago. The food is excellent too.

seafoid

I think the food is the biggest draw. They really take it seriously.

ludermor

Quote from: maggie on September 24, 2010, 12:35:05 PM
Quote from: Rois on September 23, 2010, 04:06:07 PM
Quote from: ross4life on September 23, 2010, 03:41:55 PM

Have stayed in the Russell Court a few time's it's one of the better budget Dublin Hotels IMO though some rooms are better than others.. for example don't get a room on the side of the DART bridge

Is the Russell Court not on Harcourt St?  I walk up Harcourt St every day now and was in Dicey's last night and could swear it's attached to the Russell Court.  I want to know where they're hiding the DART bridge!

Yea, it is.
Bag of sh**e that it is.  Awful room. Hateful bouncers.
Paid 35 yo-yos for parking when we stayed there for the All-ireland semi final and then when we stayed in the citywest for the final, it was the same for a taxi into the city. Stung, either way.
I have no sympathy for anyone who pays 35 for a nights parking! If you done any research you could have got  loads of place for well below 10 within a few mins walk from the hotel!

maggie

That was away from the hotel as they didn't have a car park and my research was driving around for half an hour trying to find a place to park.

tyssam5

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 23, 2010, 11:23:55 PM
Quote from: leenie on September 23, 2010, 11:20:59 PM
but I'm saying he wasn't professional in giving his word nor did know his customer base very well! after all it was all ireland day.. perhaps I'd be more understanding it was quarter final maybe even a semi, but it was an all ireland, our national sport, played in the capital city where this hotel is, where thousands had journey too....and i would imagine that last weekend was one of the busiest for this hotel...

"you don't bite the hand that feeds you"...

and yes you could comment about ac comadating tourists but from what i gather those Americans were not residents.

i know from reading about this I'd never book to stay there...
i agree that it was a stupid decision, but having made it, he was right to stick by it.  And my understanding was that the americans were tourists, residents or not - good promotion for the welcoming ireland brand etc

If they were tourists they should have been open to learning about sports played in the country they were visiting. Miss the 2nd NFL game of the season or a small part of it more likely , big deal. You think they went home and said 'Dude, we got to watch the Packers in a pub when there were 50 guys wanting to watch something else who got really pissed about it. It was awesome, you should go, they'll do anything for you.'

Franko

Quote from: haranguerer on September 23, 2010, 08:29:27 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 23, 2010, 06:40:25 PM

I agree that the hotel can have its own policies, and actually respect the manager for sticking to his promise to put on the nfl game despite obvious pressure, but stating the above seems like a stupid attempt to suggest 'racist'. I despise people who try to shove that label on others, becuase theres such a taboo around it. What does it matter if someone who's job predominantly consists of dealing with the public, can't speak the prevailing language properly??? Are you serious??!! Its like appointing someone who can hardly turn a computer on as head of IT support...

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Of course it matters!   ::)

ludermor

Quote from: maggie on September 24, 2010, 04:46:23 PM
That was away from the hotel as they didn't have a car park and my research was driving around for half an hour trying to find a place to park.
So no research?

Newbridge Exile

Stayed in the royal marine hotel in dunlaoghaire a few times this year,( good deals are usually available on expedia ) great spot for a chilled weekend break