Dublin 'Hotel' of the Thousand Welcomes....NOT!

Started by balladmaker, September 23, 2010, 12:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2010, 01:58:01 PM
Stayed there , must be 15 years ago. Brilliant then, probably Ireland's flagship luxury hotel at that time. Interesting to see what it's like now.

Then again when one has stayed at the Burj Al Arab n Dubai, everywhere else is going to come at best, a very distant second ;D

Have you stayed in any of the 6 star Las Vegas hotels? Croke Park Corporate Suites, free stays in most of Dublin's top hotels are you an politician by any chance tony  :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: leenie on September 23, 2010, 02:35:51 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2010, 12:25:23 PM
Have stayed in the Regency, Burlington and the Gresham during the last year. If I had paid for any of them I'd be up in arms. From decor to service they were all a big let down. Particularly disappointed with Gresham last weekend. The room allocated was overlooking O'Connell Street, noise never stopped  all night long, practically impossible to get to sleep. Handles on window didn't work properly and even the breakfast had a member of staff serving, lest one might take an extra rasher or sausage. Disaster

imagine that.... a hotel on o connell st had a room facing onto it..... and imagine there was noise on the main street in the capital city on all ireland weekend.............

what did you expect?

I stayed in the russell court hotel for the all-ireland semi and lets say it's website is very misleading..... horrible room. with a door that had to slammed to shut it, a hairdryer from 1950's, no mirrors and horrible doormen! We had to park in a multi-story nearby that cost us 35 euro for 1 night! the only thing it did have was several ear-plugs laid out on the bed!

Have stayed in the Russell Court a few time's it's one of the better budget Dublin Hotels IMO though some rooms are better than others.. for example don't get a room on the side of the DART bridge

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Sandino on September 23, 2010, 12:19:56 PM
I would not disagree with many of your points AZ apart from the level of service that I have experienced here in Ireland.

Just did a quick price check there. 179 euro for two nights room only on Bewleys in November. Thats more than I normally spend on my winter break in Europe which is normally 3 nights duration. Maybe I'm just a tight git!

Autum Internationals...
#newbridgeornowhere

balladmaker

QuoteThese guys had asked earlier in the day if they could watch the a programme at a certain time, they were told that would be fine

Did they?

QuoteThe friend of the management point has no bearing on it really.

Why?

ludermor

Quote from: leenie on September 23, 2010, 02:35:51 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2010, 12:25:23 PM
Have stayed in the Regency, Burlington and the Gresham during the last year. If I had paid for any of them I'd be up in arms. From decor to service they were all a big let down. Particularly disappointed with Gresham last weekend. The room allocated was overlooking O'Connell Street, noise never stopped  all night long, practically impossible to get to sleep. Handles on window didn't work properly and even the breakfast had a member of staff serving, lest one might take an extra rasher or sausage. Disaster

imagine that.... a hotel on o connell st had a room facing onto it..... and imagine there was noise on the main street in the capital city on all ireland weekend.............

what did you expect?

No crowds as per the last time he booked a hotel for the all ireland weekend?

T Fearon

Leenie, I was half expecting, hoping, praying for....a room in the Gresham Hotel that wasn't facing O'Connell Street. The Gresham  Hotel is a building which, like the majority of buildings, has a back as well as a front. ;D

Another thing which pisses me off about Dublin Hotels in general is the fact that residents/guests now have to pay for car parking, 14 euro a night in the Gresham! This does not happen in any hotels outside Dublin, as far as I'm aware.

Rois

Quote from: ross4life on September 23, 2010, 03:41:55 PM

Have stayed in the Russell Court a few time's it's one of the better budget Dublin Hotels IMO though some rooms are better than others.. for example don't get a room on the side of the DART bridge

Is the Russell Court not on Harcourt St?  I walk up Harcourt St every day now and was in Dicey's last night and could swear it's attached to the Russell Court.  I want to know where they're hiding the DART bridge!

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2010, 04:04:01 PM
Leenie, I was half expecting, hoping, praying for....a room in the Gresham Hotel that wasn't facing O'Connell Street. The Gresham  Hotel is a building which, like the majority of buildings, has a back as well as a front. ;D

Another thing which pisses me off about Dublin Hotels in general is the fact that residents/guests now have to pay for car parking, 14 euro a night in the Gresham! This does not happen in any hotels outside Dublin, as far as I'm aware.

Tony do you think your difficulties with Dublin hotels might be a sign?

MWWSI 2017

Bogball XV

Quote from: balladmaker on September 23, 2010, 03:57:37 PM
QuoteThese guys had asked earlier in the day if they could watch the a programme at a certain time, they were told that would be fine

Did they?
well, you said they did, I don't know.

Quote from: balladmaker on September 23, 2010, 03:57:37 PM
QuoteThe friend of the management point has no bearing on it really.

Why?
well, why does it?  Anyway, surely the bar manager can show whatever he wants on the tv.  If patrons don't want to watch that, then leave.  It's not good practice, nor good for business, but as I said earlier, I don't believe there's a law against it.

I'm still surprised by the single tv tbh.

ross4life

Quote from: Rois on September 23, 2010, 04:06:07 PM
Quote from: ross4life on September 23, 2010, 03:41:55 PM

Is the Russell Court not on Harcourt St?  I walk up Harcourt St every day now and was in Dicey's last night and could swear it's attached to the Russell Court.  I want to know where they're hiding the DART bridge!

Am getting the hotel's mixed up! Ripley Court has the Dart beside it! but having stayed in both there ok for budget hotels

though Russell Court is close to main nightlife so don't expect much sleep there

turk

Fearon, why didn't you just ask for a room not facing the street!! Instead you just went in like a mouse and came crying on the internet afterward - rubbish!!!

Peter Solan the Great

I had to pay for parking at Days hotel in Belfast

johnneycool

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 23, 2010, 04:57:56 PM

If you stayed overnight, you should have went to reception in the morning and they'd have stamped your parking pass for free.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: johnneycool on September 23, 2010, 05:03:49 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 23, 2010, 04:57:56 PM

If you stayed overnight, you should have went to reception in the morning and they'd have stamped your parking pass for free.

Stayed three nights got it stamped by reception still had to pay. It was five pounds per night but it was only a small part of the rip off that Belfast has become. I live in Dublin and find restaurants and eating out far more un-reasonable in Belfast. The Wheterspoon pub beside the movie house was the value for money place i found, but i found the place to be a tad rough to be honest.

T Fearon

Turk, I would have complained had I actually paid for the room, but didn't feel as though I could as it was a freebie,and even my neck is not that brass! ;D

I'd rather park to pay in that car park at Days Hotel in Belfast, than leave my car out on the street near Sandy Row and the Village all night, which is the only alternative.

I think car parking should be free with hotel stays, the hotel industry is starting to ape Ryanair in this regard, charging for every extra they can think of.