Dublin 'Hotel' of the Thousand Welcomes....NOT!

Started by balladmaker, September 23, 2010, 12:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

QuoteIn the interest of balance Balladmaker please let us know how the rest of your weekend went in Dublin. Bet you had a blast.

Had a good weekend, but that was in no way due to the service and friendliness received in any of the bars we attended.  We made our own craic.  Out of 6 bars, the only one where we received polite service and a bit of chat from the bar man was in Doheny and Nesbitts, and by coincidence the bar man was middle aged and Irish.  Other bars, including The Longstone, O'Donoghues and Mulligans were a mixture of Asian and Eastern European bar service.  Not that the country of origin is of any relevance, just that there wasnt much friendliness about them.

Rip off Dublin at its best, the money spent in 2 nights could easily get you a week, if not two, in Spain.

balladmaker

And on to the original subject, has anyone got the right to book a TV channel in a hotel bar when 1: they are not residents of the hotel, 2: when they are not even having a drink and 3: when it is All Ireland Sunday and 99.9% of those present want to watch the Sunday Game.  As I found out later, the American couple were friends of the hotel manager ... so say no more.

Secondly, what is the policy of children in hotel bars in Ireland, is there one policy or does it differ from hotel to hotel?  I know the likes of the Clarion in Sligo, it is children to 9PM outside of the summer months, and 10PM during July and August.  We had to leave the bar of the Trinity Capital at 2pm on Saturday.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: balladmaker on September 23, 2010, 12:22:38 AM
Well I stayed in a decent Dublin city centre hotel over the All Ireland weekend just past....the Trinity Capital on Pearse Street.  Nice hotel and well located.

I've stayed there a fair few times. Must admit I've never had a problem with them. Didn't have a child along with me though.

AZOffaly

Maybe there's a genesis of a thread here. Take cost out of it, as much as is possible, and what hotels would you recommend that you've stayed in?

In Ireland I would heartily recommend

Leisure/Holiday

Connemara Coast, Furbo - Galway
Dunraven Arms, Adare - Limerick
Plaza, Killarney - Kerry
Ballygarry House, Tralee - Kerry

Business

Bewley's Dublin Airport, especially if you are flying.

Bogball XV

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on September 23, 2010, 11:59:36 AM
I can well understand why they refused to change the channel on the TV when other customers had gone to the trouble of pre-booking a station. Fair enough, you could argue that the management should have been aware of the Sunday Game before allowing the booking but to have changed the channel would have been very ignorant.
I'd agree with that.  Although, I'm surprised they only had the one tv.

I'd also agree that Ireland is one of the cheapest in europe for rooms, whether it be per person or per room.  Irish hotel standards are generally much higher too, the star rating system means different things in different countries imo.

Bogball XV

Quote from: T Fearon on September 23, 2010, 12:25:23 PM
Have stayed in the Regency, Burlington and the Gresham during the last year. If I had paid for any of them I'd be up in arms. From decor to service they were all a big let down. Particularly disappointed with Gresham last weekend. The room allocated was overlooking O'Connell Street, noise never stopped  all night long, practically impossible to get to sleep. Handles on window didn't work properly and even the breakfast had a member of staff serving, lest one might take an extra rasher or sausage. Disaster
I stayed in the burlo there a while ago and was quite impressed - room was clean and comfortable and it cost €59 and that was with breakfast for two.  The Gresham and Regency wouldn't be my cup of tea at all, you'd nearly know by looking at them what to expect.

AZOffaly

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2010, 01:30:02 PM
Maybe there's a genesis of a thread here. Take cost out of it, as much as is possible, and what hotels would you recommend that you've stayed in?

Leisure/Holiday

Plaza, Killarney - Kerry

Business

I'm going to the one in Cavan closer to Christmas for a weekend, can never remember the name, I always mix it up with the Silver Springs in Cork (which is functional by the way, rather than a recommend).

Anyway, what's it like? Slieve Russell, that's it.

T Fearon

Stayed there , must be 15 years ago. Brilliant then, probably Ireland's flagship luxury hotel at that time. Interesting to see what it's like now.

Then again when one has stayed at the Burj Al Arab n Dubai, everywhere else is going to come at best, a very distant second ;D

supersarsfields

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2010, 01:36:04 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2010, 01:30:02 PM

Leisure/Holiday

Plaza, Killarney - Kerry

Business

I'm going to the one in Cavan closer to Christmas for a weekend, can never remember the name, I always mix it up with the Silver Springs in Cork (which is functional by the way, rather than a recommend).

Anyway, what's it like? Slieve Russell, that's it.

Slieve Russell is a nice hotel. Great food. Also if your into your golf it has a great course. Can be expensive tho.

seafoid

Have stayed in the Regency, Burlington and the Gresham during the last year. If I had paid for any of them I'd be up in arms. From decor to service they were all a big let down. Particularly disappointed with Gresham last weekend. The room allocated was overlooking O'Connell Street, noise never stopped  all night long, practically impossible to get to sleep. Handles on window didn't work properly and even the breakfast had a member of staff serving, lest one might take an extra rasher or sausage. Disaster

Where do you buy your colouring pencils, Tony?

What are the hotels like in Portadown btw ? 

leenie

imagine that.... a hotel on o connell st had a room facing onto it..... and imagine there was noise on the main street in the capital city on all ireland weekend.............

what did you expect?

I stayed in the russell court hotel for the all-ireland semi and lets say it's website is very misleading..... horrible room. with a door that had to slammed to shut it, a hairdryer from 1950's, no mirrors and horrible doormen! We had to park in a multi-story nearby that cost us 35 euro for 1 night! the only thing it did have was several ear-plugs laid out on the bed!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

balladmaker

QuoteI can well understand why they refused to change the channel on the TV when other customers had gone to the trouble of pre-booking a station. Fair enough, you could argue that the management should have been aware of the Sunday Game before allowing the booking but to have changed the channel would have been very ignorant.

Has anyone got the right to book a TV channel in a hotel bar when:
1: they are not residents of the hotel,
2: they are not even having a drink,
3: it is All Ireland Sunday and 99.9% of those present want to watch the Sunday Game.  The reason they filled the hotel on a Sunday night was because of the All Ireland.

As I found out later, the American couple were friends of the hotel manager ... so say no more.

seafoid

Quote from: leenie on September 23, 2010, 02:35:51 PM

imagine that.... a hotel on o connell st had a room facing onto it..... and imagine there was noise on the main street in the capital city on all ireland weekend.............

what did you expect?

Cue Basil 

BASIL         That is Torquay, Madam.
MRS RICHARDS              Well, it is not good enough.
  BASIL         Well...may I ask what you were hoping to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House
         Perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of  wildebeest sweeping majestically....

MRS RICHARDS     Don't be silly. I expect to see the sea.
  BASIL              You can see the sea.  It's over there between the land and the sky.
  MRS RICHARDS     I'd need a telescope to see that.
  BASIL              Well, may I suggest you consider moving to a hotel closer to the sea. Or preferably in it.

Bogball XV

Quote from: balladmaker on September 23, 2010, 02:55:36 PM
QuoteI can well understand why they refused to change the channel on the TV when other customers had gone to the trouble of pre-booking a station. Fair enough, you could argue that the management should have been aware of the Sunday Game before allowing the booking but to have changed the channel would have been very ignorant.

3: it is All Ireland Sunday and 99.9% of those present want to watch the Sunday Game.  The reason they filled the hotel on a Sunday night was because of the All Ireland.

As I found out later, the American couple were friends of the hotel manager ... so say no more.
I'd say it's not a question rights, as I don't think a court of law would have any authority to adjudicate on this (i don't think it's covered in the constitution anyway) it's manners and that's from both sides.
These guys had asked earlier in the day if they could watch the a programme at a certain time, they were told that would be fine - what did they do wrong?  If they'd been told that they couldn't, then they would have made alternative arrangements and went to some of the sports bars in temple bar (if they're still in existence).
The other guests had wrongly presumed that they could watch another programme, but as the management had already many promises to the contrary, then this couldn't happen.  Those guests could have politely explained the situation and asked the americans if they'd mind turning it over, they may have obliged, they may not have. 
It was a bad decision to grant the guys their wish in the first place, but after that was done, it wouldn't have been right to go back on that decision

The friend of the management point has no bearing on it really.

muppet

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 23, 2010, 03:06:25 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on September 23, 2010, 02:55:36 PM

I'd say it's not a question rights, as I don't think a court of law would have any authority to adjudicate on this (i don't think it's covered in the constitution anyway) it's manners and that's from both sides.
These guys had asked earlier in the day if they could watch the a programme at a certain time, they were told that would be fine - what did they do wrong?  If they'd been told that they couldn't, then they would have made alternative arrangements and went to some of the sports bars in temple bar (if they're still in existence).
The other guests had wrongly presumed that they could watch another programme, but as the management had already many promises to the contrary, then this couldn't happen.  Those guests could have politely explained the situation and asked the americans if they'd mind turning it over, they may have obliged, they may not have. 
It was a bad decision to grant the guys their wish in the first place, but after that was done, it wouldn't have been right to go back on that decision

The friend of the management point has no bearing on it really.

Had this hotel only 1 television?

Something similar happened me in the the Hilton Northern Cross during the 6 Nations when a jazz band (!) were booked in the bar during the match. The manager brought us to an empty area with a tv and instructed one of the bar floor staff to keep us supplied with beverages. She was busy, the band jazzed way and we were all happy.
MWWSI 2017