Electric Cars. Real aternative or ego boosters?

Started by Denn Forever, September 02, 2019, 02:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

How do you make transport viable when living in an area where you have no transport directly taking you to work?

Just recently I've changed locations, if I was to seek public transport it would add another hour on top of the time it takes me when driving. That would mean a 3 hour journey time (minimum, depending on timetables) I'm all for saving the planet but unless I can head out to the main rd and get a direct public transport to my place of work it's not happening.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

A friend bought a Tesla, I think it's a horrendous looking yoke, he thinks he's the dogs bollox driving around in it. I do like the look of the new Skoda Enyaq alright but I'll stick with diesel for a bit yet.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

delgany

The Electricity Network isnt ready to manage the conversion to EV anytime soon.It doesn't have the capacity to start with. Then you see the nightmare of getting a top up !

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 26, 2021, 10:49:59 AM
How do you make transport viable when living in an area where you have no transport directly taking you to work?

Just recently I've changed locations, if I was to seek public transport it would add another hour on top of the time it takes me when driving. That would mean a 3 hour journey time (minimum, depending on timetables) I'm all for saving the planet but unless I can head out to the main rd and get a direct public transport to my place of work it's not happening.

This is why better urban planning has to be part of the solution, you can't just look at transport in isolation. If people were better able to live closer to their work and other daily needs then it'd be a lot easier to provide sustainable transport solutions that are also convenient.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 26, 2021, 10:49:59 AM

+1

Public transport simply doesn't work in 99.9% of the North - the population is too distributed.

If you'd loads of parking around some larger rural bus stops/centres then people might take their cars to that, park-up  and jump on a bus. Park-n-ride but on a much more extensive scale. But the current practice simply doesn't work.

The glider is a complete f**king joke. Translink and the civil servants can't see beyond the end of their nose when measuring its performance.

Passenger levels on the gliders are great they say. Except that is not the actual problem it was put in to solve.

Is congestion any better? Nope - 'cos the roads the gliders run on have lost a lane - not to mention the loss of the Kennedy Way roundabout.

So, are carbon emissions down? Of course not. They're likely significantly worse as fractionally less cars are spending significantly more time on the roads into and out of work.

Thus, when measured against what it was actually supposed to do - is the glider a success? Is it f**k. Doesn't stop the spastics at stormont from looking to roll them out elsewhere.
i usse an speelchekor

johnnycool

Quote from: trileacman on June 25, 2021, 05:12:17 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on June 25, 2021, 05:07:26 PM
With the phase out Diesel cars in the UK by the 30's, what is gonna happen to the big trucks hauling goods around?  Will it be the rebirth  of the railways?  Also agricultural almachinary?

There isn't even reliable electric 4x4 never mind trucks or tractors. Diesel will be around for decades yet.

Buses are going to hydrogen, I presume trucks will go the same way.

armaghniac

This would be interesting if it is even half true.
Toyota believes it could make a solid-state battery with a range of 745 miles that charges in 10 minutes
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/04/toyota-claims-battery-breakthrough-electric-cars
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jeepers Creepers

My boss went to pick up his all electric Audi. Dealer told him hydrogen will be ushered in quicker that people think. Replacing electric cars. (Ain't gonna  be tomorrow but food for thought)

Sportacus

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 04, 2023, 08:36:55 PM
My boss went to pick up his all electric Audi. Dealer told him hydrogen will be ushered in quicker that people think. Replacing electric cars. (Ain't gonna  be tomorrow but food for thought)
In that case you'd be worried that their 2nd hand value will plummet, like many other new technologies over the years.

tbrick18

I believe Toyota have stopped investing in electric car research and are instead switching to hydrogen.
Toyota were/are the leaders in hybrid so I'd say they are onto something they believe to be commercially viable.
I wouldn't touch electric with a barge pole.

Tubberman

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 05, 2023, 12:20:48 AM
I believe Toyota have stopped investing in electric car research and are instead switching to hydrogen.
Toyota were/are the leaders in hybrid so I'd say they are onto something they believe to be commercially viable.

Did you read the post 3 above your own?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

trueblue1234

I can't see hydrogen being rolled out that quickly. R&D still relatively early stages and usually takes a while for markets to move. There won't be widespread Hydrogen cars within the next 10 years but there will be electric. Hydrogen will come, but electric will get its day first.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Keyser soze

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 05, 2023, 12:20:48 AM

Yeah, it'd burn the c**k aff ye if you did!!

armaghniac

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 05, 2023, 08:53:44 AM
I can't see hydrogen being rolled out that quickly. R&D still relatively early stages and usually takes a while for markets to move. There won't be widespread Hydrogen cars within the next 10 years but there will be electric. Hydrogen will come, but electric will get its day first.

Electric should suit a lot of cars if they can increase the range by 50% or more, and this seems likely in 3 or 4 years. Hydrogen may end up being used in HGVs, trains, ships etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B