Row in Mayo LGFA

Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 15, 2018, 02:08:41 PM
Quote from: blast05 on October 15, 2018, 01:26:49 PM
QuoteAs we stood up to leave, he had one more question. If I wasn't the free-taker this year, how would I feel about it? I said I wouldn't mind if I was the free-taker or not, so long as the best free-taker on the team was the person taking them. That person, I told him, was standing in front of him. And, with that, I turned and walked away.

I'm really surprised they didn't pull this bit from the book.
It puts the free-taking episode in the Connacht Final into fuller context.
Yeah that is a rather telling passage alright.

Sounds like an excerpt from ashley cole's book :D

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 15, 2018, 12:06:32 PM
I suppose they will have built up a siege mentality now and come out all guns blazing against our ladies in the final.

It did not take siege mentality for Carnacon to hammer teams other years - so I would not get to caught up on that angle.

tippabu

That extract from the independent does Leahy no harm in my views. It's baffling that she had a problem with him answering the question about her before the league final. Said nothing bad about her, brought it back to the current team and gave them a boost by complementing them. Every manager comes out and says it's about the team 20/30 people on a panel not just 15 starting or 1 player. I think it shows her mentality and how arrogant she is that she takes these comments as an attack on her rather than bringing it back to team. No problem at all with his interview with her too before coming back to the panel, laying down how he wants things this year and may have been going with a different more professional approach while also seeing her attitude towards the team which as it turns out was poisonous from everything I've seen and read.

Keyser soze

Completely delusional stuff from Staunton, the degree of narcissism and self absorption is total.

It is clear there is no substance whatsoever to the previous allusions about an unsafe environment, the only unsafe thing here is anyone getting in the way of Cora's ego by the looks of things.

RadioGAAGAA

Any chance of the "journalists" that were so quick to put the boot in now print or release something to correct their mistakes?
i usse an speelchekor

rosnarun

Quote from: Keyser soze on October 16, 2018, 12:46:55 PM
Completely delusional stuff from Staunton, the degree of narcissism and self absorption is total.

It is clear there is no substance whatsoever to the previous allusions about an unsafe environment, the only unsafe thing here is anyone getting in the way of Cora's ego by the looks of things.
Serious danger of Criticism of Cora getting out of hand . she has been the mainstay and at time Carried mayo for  nearly 20 years so im sure she does feel a bit of ownership of the team and is quiet entitled to defend her free taking . its not as though mayo had a natural outstanding replacement for her . the frees were spread amongst several players. the whole thing reminds me of Ciran McDonald  and John omahoney mark2
Maybe the natural progression now is to retire and take the team on herself if she hasn't pissed too many people off .
if Roy keane can work for the FAI anything can happen
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on October 16, 2018, 04:20:49 PM

Serious danger of Criticism of Cora getting out of hand . she has been the mainstay and at time Carried mayo for  nearly 20 years so im sure she does feel a bit of ownership of the team and is quiet entitled to defend her free taking . its not as though mayo had a natural outstanding replacement for her . the frees were spread amongst several players. the whole thing reminds me of Ciran McDonald  and John omahoney mark2
Maybe the natural progression now is to retire and take the team on herself if she hasn't pissed too many people off .

Pretty sure Cora has retired herself with her behaviour this season. Why would the next manager invite that sort of distraction and ball-hog back into the team? And Leahy himself might be there for a few years yet.

dublin7

I think it's the fact she has played for so long makes her feel she is the mayo football team. In relation to free taking Leahy said he had 2 players. One left footed and one right footed. That's perfectly reasonable to me.

Whatever about the other players (and I belive some will come back)its hard to see how she can come back and play for Mayo again. Without a public apology of some sort for her unsubstantiated accusations I imagine the manager won't pick her. I know I certainly wouldn't.

From the Bunker

You see here in lies the myth. It's been a long time since Cora has been really influential for Mayo. Her greadiness has got her loads of scores for Mayo, but it has also cost us a lot of potential scores from other really talented forwards. Forward players around her have been losing confidence for years. There is no plan B with Cora. She gets the ball and it's a score, or a miss, or a free. It's hardly ever a pass or an assist.

As for the Ciaran McDonald example. Ciaran never walked out on a Mayo team a couple of days before a championship match.

Also how do you know that Grace Kelly and Sarah Rowe are presently not better free takers than Cora?

Minder

Has the mysogny card been played yet ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

Quote from: Minder on October 16, 2018, 06:11:19 PM
Has the mysogny card been played yet ?

Christ. There's been plenty of borderline sexist posts but in general somehow most have resisted that urge. Grind your axes somewhere else.

From the Bunker

Just when you thought Carnacon could move on from Mayo LGFA County Board.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/carnacon-wait-on-mayo-lgfa-response-before-deciding-on-appeal-876259.html

Carnacon wait on Mayo LGFA response before deciding on appeal

By Ger Flanagan

All-Ireland ladies champions Carnacon are waiting on official contact from Mayo LGFA officials before deciding whether or not to appeal the red cards shown to Fiona McHale and Doireann Hughes in Sunday's SFC semi-final win over Moy Davitts.

The Mayo and Connacht champions are due to meet Knockmore in Sunday's decider in Kilmeena at 2pm.Midfielders McHale and Hughes were given their marching orders in the second half of Carnacon's 6-16 to 1-12 victory by referee Gerard Canny.

Former All-Star McHale was sent off in the second half for what the referee is believed to have signalled as a use of the elbow on Niamh Kelly.

Hughes was red-carded less than five minutes later for alleged verbal abuse which was brought to the attention of the referee by the linesman.

Moy Davitts' forward Fiona Doherty also received a straight red card in additional-time for an altercation with Cora Staunton.

Both Carnacon players' offences are punishable with a straight red card and according to Rule 268, the player(s) is handed an automatic suspension of 'a minimum of four weeks'. Such a ban would mean McHale and Hughes would miss a potential Connacht final which is fixed for Sunday, November 4.

However, the Irish Examiner understands that Carnacon must now wait for official communication from the Mayo LGFA secretary Kevin McDonnell, based on the referee's report. This will set out the rule/rules broken and the automatic suspension as per the LGFA Official Guide.

Under those same rules Carnacon can then seek a hearing in front of a disciplinary committee in relation to the offences. A subsequent county board meeting must then be called to ratify the suspension, at which stage Carnacon can decide whether or not they want to pursue an appeal.

Meanwhile, in the other semi-final, Knockmore beat Burrishoole on a scoreline of 4-14 to 1-2 to set up a repeat of last year's county final.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 16, 2018, 06:04:29 PM

You see here in lies the myth. It's been a long time since Cora has been really influential for Mayo. Her greadiness has got her loads of scores for Mayo, but it has also cost us a lot of potential scores from other really talented forwards. Forward players around her have been losing confidence for years. There is no plan B with Cora. She gets the ball and it's a score, or a miss, or a free. It's hardly ever a pass or an assist.

As for the Ciaran McDonald example. Ciaran never walked out on a Mayo team a couple of days before a championship match.

Also how do you know that Grace Kelly and Sarah Rowe are presently not better free takers than Cora?

I don't really follow the ladies football but on the odd occasion I've seen Cora play in recent years I'm always amazed how much she completely hogs the ball. Often double or triple marked she still rarely passes but prefers to shoot low percentage shots with a couple of girls hanging out of her. Mad stuff really. How she gets away with it I don't know. Obviously an all time great but an all time great male player wouldn't get away with that carry on.

Lar Naparka

Can't help thinking that the publication of Cora's book was delayed at the last minute. Just a suspicion- nothing more. Seemsikelt that it may have been scheduled for late July- a week maybe after the walkout.
This happens a lot and an author has feck all say in the matter. Given that the allegations qwere unfounded after the investigation, I can't help feeling that Cora was just drumming up publicity. 
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

I doubt Cora brought all this on herself and her club just to sell a Book.