NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: armaghniac on April 02, 2024, 07:36:01 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2024, 07:04:02 PMI think people have got on to penalties now. It's not an issue anymore.

Finishing the game on the day, after extra-time and penalties is fine.

It's hapoened a few times in big games now. Definately a lottery but good entertainment for all.

Everybody knows the drill now.

I still think it is a limited assessment of skill, and an excellent team with a dodgy goalie could lose out. Perhaps 3 penalties and 3 45s?

Teams have over 75 mins in the game and about 25 mins in extra time.

Loads of opoortunity for skill there...like kicking the ball over the bar one more time than the opposition.

I'm sure the players are wrecked after
about 100 mins of high intensity stuff.

It's a skill as some can do it while others can't.

The final point is that every team, management and supporter knows this is the game lay-out well in advance.

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on April 02, 2024, 08:33:58 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on April 02, 2024, 05:19:50 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 02, 2024, 04:16:08 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on April 02, 2024, 04:11:10 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 02, 2024, 04:03:52 PMIf they do win the ulster 1st seed. They be destined to met Dublin in a semi if they top the group qualifiers and win their quarter final. If they lost in Ulster and did draw in Kerry Dublin section in the qualifiers they might be better placed to avoid Dublin to the final If they managed to progress that far, food for thought.
My thoughts:
You might be able to manage to lose a game here or there.
But that will only make the management of winning them more problematic.
Try to win every game and you will lose the unwinnable  anyway
Trying to win every game isn't necessarily the best approach in the new system
There is a not a single team that won't be trying to win every single championship match they are involved in. This talk around peaking at the right time is getting a bit mental. It's far more to do with training load than matches. If it's impact injuries you are worried about, you are nearly as likely to sustain them in training as a match, given the intensity teams be going at it in training.
That is incorrect, hi.
Amateur teams cannot go at full tilt from now until the Hogan steps. There is no recovery time. Padraic Joyce said on RTE that a team playing pre season and ending up in the all Ireland final would play 18 matches in around 25 weeks.

Explain to me recovery time.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 02, 2024, 04:03:52 PMIf they do win the ulster 1st seed. They be destined to met Dublin in a semi if they top the group qualifiers and win their quarter final. If they lost in Ulster and did draw in Kerry Dublin section in the qualifiers they might be better placed to avoid Dublin to the final If they managed to progress that far, food for thought.
My thoughts:
There is a not a single team that won't be trying to win every single championship match they are involved in. This talk around peaking at the right time is getting a bit mental. It's far more to do with training load than matches. If it's impact injuries you are worried about, you are nearly as likely to sustain them in training as a match, given the intensity teams be going at it in training.
That is incorrect, hi.
Amateur teams cannot go at full tilt from now until the Hogan steps. There is no recovery time. Padraic Joyce said on RTE that a team playing pre season and ending up in the all Ireland final would play 18 matches in around 25 weeks.

It is far from incorrect. Do you think any team will go out to lose a game? Teams may be at different points in their training cycle and able to peak at different times. Better teams, or teams with more fortuitous draws, will aim to peak later as they know they'll be there whereas teams who will be scrapping from the start will have to peak as early as possible.

yellowcard

My thoughts:
That is incorrect, hi.

That's a very good balance in my view. Plenty of games with an average of one match every 10 days which is certainly not an excessive load. Everybody knows their match programme in advance and can tailor the training load to suit. Or maybe some would prefer to return to the days of waiting around for 4 weeks between matches.

The irony is that if counties weren't playing games week on week, these managers would be replacing them with extra training weekends and in-house games anyway.

Most county footballers now can hold a base level of fitness practically all year round anyway and certainly none of the top teams will have a major competitive edge in that department, it will more likely to be in the quality of player and technical skill that the difference will be most noticeable.

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2024, 07:04:02 PMI think people have got on to penalties now. It's not an issue anymore.

It's hapoened a few times in big games now. Definately a lottery but good entertainment for all.

They're a scourge on the game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 02, 2024, 09:16:33 PM

Best way to resolve it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Derryman forever on April 02, 2024, 03:19:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 02, 2024, 03:06:21 PMI would love to see Derry winning Sam but they will need to have everything going right   to do it .

Do you not think it is going pretty well so far?
Yes. the championship hasn't even started

From the Bunker

Division 1 - 2024 (beating Dublin)
Division 2 - 2013 (beating Westmeath)
Division 3 - 2021 (beating Offaly)
Division 4 - 2019 (beating Leitrim)

Wildweasel74

Derry getting stronger. But 3 of their better men on the U-17 2020 team only Murray and Gilmore starting games at the minute which probably a sign of a experienced team to start with. Downey who was the best player on that team only bck after multi long injuries, but I feel he can make a different up front in the nxt few yrs if he stays injury free. Higgins to me has something to offer in the nxt few yrs too. But the best underage player I see coming up is Danny McDermot who only 18, so Derry do have players coming, Along with the previous 2 years of minors the likes of Rodgers and McKinless, Bradley drop off In 4yrs time. Had McAvoy and Murray been playing against Down U20 last year I feel we won that game. Silly of Gallagher playing them against Fermanagh when they weren't needed.

JoG2

Quote from: Derryman forever on April 02, 2024, 07:57:18 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 07:33:40 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on April 02, 2024, 07:30:38 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 06:20:21 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on April 02, 2024, 04:44:42 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 04:42:46 PMBit of an overreaction to Derry's 'win'... it was a draw fulltime and extra-time and Dublin won't be so pourous come championship. However I think that's Derry's full hand albeit impressive.

You think Dublin were not playing to win?
Not in the way they would a big championship game. Did you ever see their backline so loose? Could easily have conceeded six goals. I'd be very surprised if they are as pourous in June/July.

So you do think they weren't playing to win?

They wouldn't have celebrated like they just won the World Cup lol!. I don't think they were overly bothered.

Do you think someone celebrated like they won the world cup?
Who was that?

Best to smile and scroll on...sock puppetry #tootsayer

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 02, 2024, 10:08:32 PMDerry getting stronger. But 3 of their better men on the U-17 2020 team only Murray and Gilmore starting games at the minute which probably a sign of a experienced team to start with. Downey who was the best player on that team only bck after multi long injuries, but I feel he can make a different up front in the nxt few yrs if he stays injury free. Higgins to me has something to offer in the nxt few yrs too. But the best underage player I see coming up is Danny McDermot who only 18, so Derry do have players coming, Along with the previous 2 years of minors the likes of Rodgers and McKinless, Bradley drop off In 4yrs time. Had McAvoy and Murray been playing against Down U20 last year I feel we won that game. Silly of Gallagher playing them against Fermanagh when they weren't needed.

Wasn't Eoin McEvoy on that Derry U17 All-Ireland winning team?

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 02, 2024, 09:16:33 PM

I think there's bigger issues in the GAA.

I can't see it being re-visited now.

imtommygunn

Yes McEvoy on it. https://derrygaa.ie/derry-crowned-all-ireland-minor-champions/

Penalties only way to do it with calendar so compressed. No way for example could you have had a replay on Sunday plus it wouldn't be fair flogging them with more extra time.

yellowcard

I've no issues with penalties, I actually like the drama that it brings and I know we've suffered more than anyone with 3 big shoot out defeats in the last 2 seasons.

If you haven't done enough to win the game in 90-100 minutes of football then you can have no complaints afterwards. It's also a good test of nerve and skill.

Truthsayer

Penalties are a scourge copied from soccer. No big deal on Sunday for league final but to decide a championship game on penalties is appalling.. totally demeaned last years Ulster final.