UB40 gets UB40

Started by ONeill, January 25, 2008, 02:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Ali Campbell quits UB40 28 years on

UB40 frontman Ali Campbell has quit the band after 28 years.

The singer said he took the "agonising" decision to leave because of management problems.

In an open letter to fans on his website, Campbell explained: "As one of the founder members of UB40, I have put the band first in my life for the last 28 years and am deeply saddened at the ending of that relationship.

"No words can express how upset I feel today that I have been forced to make this decision. I am perhaps most upset on behalf of the fans, who have stuck with us through thick and thin throughout the years, and are the best fans in the world."

The band, which includes Campbell's brother, Robin, will continue without him.

"This decision has not been taken lightly and has come as a result of a long, painful and agonising thought process.

"I know UB40 will carry on successfully without me and I wish them all the very best - they have been my family for the last 28 years and will always be my brothers," Campbell said.

The 48-year-old denied reports that he was quitting because of arguments over his solo career. "That is not the truth. I released my first solo album 13 years ago and when I released my current solo album I had every intention of continuing to balance my solo career with my commitment to the band," he said.

"The reason for me leaving the band is that management difficulties, which have been ongoing for almost five years, had become intolerable. I have been deeply unhappy with administrative practices and with many decisions that have been made in recent years, and I have an ongoing investigation into the handling of my business affairs in relation to UB40," he said.

The Birmingham-based band - named after a DHSS form - have sold 70 million albums worldwide. They have had three number ones - Red Red Wine, I Got You Babe and (I Can't Help) Falling In Love With You.

Yahoo.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Billys Boots

QuoteYahoo.

Ah that was uncalled for, Shane.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

downredblack

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I liked their early stuff like Food for thought (Ivory madonna) and The earth dies screaming.

Then they went wild commercial and covered crap 60s songs. 

And what the heck was "There's a rat in my kitchen what am I gonna do" all about.

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"