Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

No matter what competition this was and what time of year it was we beat Kilkenny - the All Ireland champions!

Hopefully this will do wonders for the self belief.

Not such a bad Kilkenny team either.

Good to see young Hippy being brought in. Also didn't know Hamill was in the panel but he must be doing rightly.

ExiledGael

No mention of this game before during or after the match on BBC. Still not a word of the game to be seen, probably didn't know it was happening. Bit of a joke.

Glensman

Treated myself to a couple tonight after that.

Yee Haaa.

Minder - your implorations fall on deaf ears - our day has come*.

*Clearly I am joking but f**k me its something.

youbetterbelieveit

well done antrim, it was definitely a great performance. It has too be put into context aswell considering the game was played in Fresford, Kilkenny. I cant remember too many teams (all counties) coming to Kilkenny and beating them.

Glensman

Was chatting to a player - seemingly Cody came into the dressing room and was very complimentary of Antrim's style of hurling and their workrate at this time of year.

Also I believe the bus journey up home was a calm affair will no one getting carried away and generally there was a level headed approach to the win.

Both things good to hear.

Maximus Marillius

A big booster to Antrim, that will help morale and more importantly confidence, it will be interesting to see how this impacts on the teams performance for the remainder

NAG

Lads

I am not being downhearted or knocking the lads in anyway fair play good result. But I will hold judgement to the league stages before passing comment on what sort of standard we are at.

Good result but more hard work and feet on the ground.

Minder

For those of you that cant afford to buy the Irish News.......

Irish News

ANTRIM joint manager Terence McNaughton was understandably reserved in his delight at yesterday's historic win for the Saffrons, who took their first competitive win over the Kilkenny for almost 20 years, thanks to a slender one-point victory at Freshford.

Wins over the Cats at any grade are certainly important, but a win in January should perhaps be taken with a health warning, even though this was certainly a hard-fought and warranted win for the visitors, in a keenly-contested encounter.

McNaughton was happy with the performance of his youthful side, and top scorer Liam Watson, who finished the contest with 1-8 to his credit.

"Although it's nice to beat them, we aren't going to get carried away," he said.

"We had only one guy in the forward line that wasn't under 21. We had a full U21 team except for Liam Watson. Any day you come to Kilkenny and beat them is a good day for Antrim, whether it's the Walsh Cup or not. We haven't had a fixture for a long time either."

Kilkenny lined out with seven of last year's All-Ireland-winning side, with a further five first choice players propping up the bench, something which wasn't lost on Sambo or his side.

"There are no bad Kilkenny teams and we keep talking about Kilkenny's strength-in-depth and they have two teams while the rest of us struggle to get one," he added.

"I'm very pleased about it, but the one thing which really pleases me was that we fought away and harried away. It was typical January hurling from both teams, but it's great to see us battle hard. We will take a lot more out of it than Kilkenny will be worried about."

Kilkenny only returned from their team holiday in Dubai and Thailand, last Thursday and although their manager Brian Cody didn't see this loss having a major effect on his preparations for the rest of the year, he was still disappointed with the defeat and the effort shown by his side.

"No I don't see it is a setback, we are just starting off, we don't come up to lose any game, but I would be happy in the sense that they kept fighting at it and they just didn't say 'ah we are just back from holidays'," Cody said. "We are back into training now and we are looking forward to the rest of the year now."

Cody was high in his praise for a young Antrim side who showed great teamwork and skill to execute this win.

"I thought Antrim were very good there and their skill was very good out there, they also impressed with me with their defending," he added.

"We were on holidays, that wasn't the end of the world," Cody added.

"We were out there, we were competitive, we kept going to the very end, we tried to win it, we just didn't come up here to play a game, we came up here to try win the game but Antrim were better on the day without a shadow of a doubt."

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Quote from: Glensman on January 21, 2008, 11:16:50 AM
Was chatting to a player - seemingly Cody came into the dressing room and was very complimentary of Antrim's style of hurling and their workrate at this time of year.

Also I believe the bus journey up home was a calm affair will no one getting carried away and generally there was a level headed approach to the win.
Both things good to hear.

I noticed in the Irish News today a photo of three players posing for a photo with their arms aloft after the match, i wonder what the Kilkenny people made of that. Can you imagine players from Limerick, Cork, Galway etc doing this after winning a match in January?

Glensman

Irish News readership in Kilkenny at an all time high.

I'm sure come the 3rd week of September when KK are down at half time in the AI final that very same photo wil be produced to spur on the Cats to victory...

Minder

Quote from: Glensman on January 23, 2008, 01:34:10 PM
Irish News readership in Kilkenny at an all time high.

I'm sure come the 3rd week of September when KK are down at half time in the AI final that very same photo wil be produced to spur on the Cats to victory...

I was referring to the Kilkenny people at the match, i found it a bit surprising.

Tony Baloney

Minder what is your problem with the Antrim team? Are you jealous of Karl McKeegan?

johnneycool

Quote from: Glensman on January 23, 2008, 01:34:10 PM

If Kilkenny are playing in an AI final on the third sunday of september they'd be using a picture of St Jude as inspiration or maybe Lazarous but by god it's be some kind of miracle.
;D

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 23, 2008, 01:39:54 PM
Minder what is your problem with the Antrim team? Are you jealous of Karl McKeegan?

I am jealous of your avatar......

nrico2006

QuoteQuote from: Tony Baloney on Today at 01:39:54 PM

I am jealous of your avatar......

Some pups!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'