The Scourge of Youth Soccer

Started by Mrs mills, September 23, 2015, 12:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs mills

May I begin by acknowledging the fact that lads love playing soccer and are usually happy to combine it and gaelic football from week to week. May I also say that their parents are happy to support them doing do, as any form of sporting participation is always better than xbox!
My gripe this time is not with the fixture clashes or the injury risks or the way soccer teams use the GAA to get their players fit.
I'm more concerned nowadays with the habits players develop through regular exposure to soccer and how this leads to a 'one step forward, one step back' situation for Gaelic football coaches.
Let me give some examples:
We need forwards to attack the ball - soccer asks them to cushion the pass.
We need the ball kept out of the corners - soccer puts it there.
We need space left up front - soccer promotes packing the box for crosses.
We promote driving forward to break tackles - soccer teaches them to check back in possession and pass laterally .
We see the virtue of a strong kick pass - soccer is an instep pass with a lighter ball.
We need defenders to mark opponents - soccer promotes zonal marking.

So, week in week out, we promote a set of skills while soccer offers them a different set. A few of best can separate both and use them appropriately. The average Gaelic footballer, the weaker one and many of those with promise, cannot.
And so we make much less progress than hoped. Our squad of 24 has 17 who play both sports. Most are taking one step forward and one step back.

fiftyfiftyball

From what I have seen of some Derry club teams this week in the championship a lot of clubs are already coaching the soccer way!

Geoff Tipps

What with the temptation to pick up the ball when they are playing soccer the poor lads heads must be melted.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 23, 2015, 02:19:09 PM
What with the temptation to pick up the ball when they are playing soccer the poor lads heads must be melted.
LOL
Done that once at PE on purpose and went for a wee solo cos I was F**ed off with how shite soccer was. Ye wanna hear the roarin of the townies

The Gs Man

Brought my 4 year old to his first soccer training session last Friday night.  He picked the ball up, solo'd it past two young fellas and fisted it over the bar.

It's a mixed club so half the team and coaches didn't know what he was at.
Keep 'er lit

maldini

The scourge of rugby is as bad, with gaelic football now resembling it in ever increasing ways

Mario

Quote from: Mrs mills on September 23, 2015, 12:23:44 PM
May I begin by acknowledging the fact that lads love playing soccer and are usually happy to combine it and gaelic football from week to week. May I also say that their parents are happy to support them doing do, as any form of sporting participation is always better than xbox!
My gripe this time is not with the fixture clashes or the injury risks or the way soccer teams use the GAA to get their players fit.
I'm more concerned nowadays with the habits players develop through regular exposure to soccer and how this leads to a 'one step forward, one step back' situation for Gaelic football coaches.
We need forwards to attack the ball - soccer asks them to cushion the pass. Don't see how this point in relevant in both sports the ball has to stick with the forward to enable attacks to build and prevent counter attacks
We need the ball kept out of the corners - soccer puts it there. A kick pass into the corner for a corner forward is a good ball surely
We need space left up front - soccer promotes packing the box for crosses. Not really anymore, look at the successful soccer teams
We promote driving forward to break tackles - soccer teaches them to check back in possession and pass laterally. Soccer promotes keeping possession if you are capable of going by a man in the right position do it, i dont think messi is instructed not to take his man on.
We see the virtue of a strong kick pass - soccer is an instep pass with a lighter ball. I've been coached to play a pass with the instep that bounces in front of the corner forward
We need defenders to mark opponents - soccer promotes zonal marking. I agree with this point

So, week in week out, we promote a set of skills while soccer offers them a different set. A few of best can separate both and use them appropriately. The average Gaelic footballer, the weaker one and many of those with promise, cannot.
And so we make much less progress than hoped. Our squad of 24 has 17 who play both sports. Most are taking one step forward and one step back.

Imo gaelic teams have benefitted from playing more like soccer teams, i certainly don't see it as a scourge.

It's like comparing the stereotypical english game to the slower european game. English soccer is seen as exciting high tempo, get the ball in the box. The europeans realised that this is a stupid way to play the game, possession should be the foundation of any successful team, people who are used to watching english teams might find barcelona boring but if you appreciate the game you dont.

The same analogy is now true for Gaelic, pre 00's gaelic was perceived as more exciting by the old school, basically because we kicked the ball away a lot into our forwards, hoping they would win 50 50 ball. You hear it at games all the time 'kick the fking ball in'. Teams realise now possession is key, the better teams can pull off the more risky passes and shots, but its suicide to kick the ball away now. The older generation might find this boring but the reality is the modern game is much more effective

I appreciate a modern game of gaelic football it annoys me watching teams play with a big man in full forward and kicking 50 50 balls into him. I've seen plenty of good games were teams have scored less than 12 points, if the intensity is in the game, and both teams have a chance at winning it I will enjoy it.

Modern gaelic teams have benefitted from looking at soccer tactics and tactics of other sports. The point remains they are two different games and players should be able to do both independently, cycling a bike doesnt effect how i drive my car.

BennyCake

Must be confusing for players playing two sports and not incorporating a skill from one game into another. Sure didn't Joe Sheridan think he was playing water polo once in Croke Park.

Mrs mills

Quote from: Mario on September 25, 2015, 09:55:22 AM
Quote from: Mrs mills on September 23, 2015, 12:23:44 PM
We need forwards to attack the ball - soccer asks them to cushion the pass. Don't see how this point in relevant in both sports the ball has to stick with the forward to enable attacks to build and prevent counter attacks
We need the ball kept out of the corners - soccer puts it there. A kick pass into the corner for a corner forward is a good ball surely
We need space left up front - soccer promotes packing the box for crosses. Not really anymore, look at the successful soccer teams
We promote driving forward to break tackles - soccer teaches them to check back in possession and pass laterally. Soccer promotes keeping possession if you are capable of going by a man in the right position do it, i dont think messi is instructed not to take his man on.
We see the virtue of a strong kick pass - soccer is an instep pass with a lighter ball. I've been coached to play a pass with the instep that bounces in front of the corner forward
We need defenders to mark opponents - soccer promotes zonal marking. I agree with this point

Imo gaelic teams have benefitted from playing more like soccer teams, i certainly don't see it as a scourge.

It's like comparing the stereotypical english game to the slower european game. English soccer is seen as exciting high tempo, get the ball in the box. The europeans realised that this is a stupid way to play the game, possession should be the foundation of any successful team, people who are used to watching english teams might find barcelona boring but if you appreciate the game you dont.

The same analogy is now true for Gaelic, pre 00's gaelic was perceived as more exciting by the old school, basically because we kicked the ball away a lot into our forwards, hoping they would win 50 50 ball. You hear it at games all the time 'kick the fking ball in'. Teams realise now possession is key, the better teams can pull off the more risky passes and shots, but its suicide to kick the ball away now. The older generation might find this boring but the reality is the modern game is much more effective

I appreciate a modern game of gaelic football it annoys me watching teams play with a big man in full forward and kicking 50 50 balls into him. I've seen plenty of good games were teams have scored less than 12 points, if the intensity is in the game, and both teams have a chance at winning it I will enjoy it.

Modern gaelic teams have benefitted from looking at soccer tactics and tactics of other sports. The point remains they are two different games and players should be able to do both independently, cycling a bike doesnt effect how i drive my car.

A typical response from a dual player and a malcontent - choose the exceptions to the rule and identify them as the norm. Dungiven Celtic written all over it.

Syferus

It's the other fella's fault - said every person, company, government, religion and organisation ever.

didlyi

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think some people have lost the plot here. They think because Gaelic looks more like soccer or other sports that it has benefited. Problem is it has lost its core skills. Kick and catch. These 2 skills reigned in the old game. Soccer players kick the ball to each other to maintain possession. 90% of Gaelic passes are from the hand with a few kicks now and again to remind us that this is a football game. The skills are no longer on show. Its a tactical hand passing battle but because it now resembles an international sport then it must be better? Dont fool yourself, people want to see skill ultimately, tactical low scoring battles come second.