Tax Avoidance

Started by Hereiam, November 06, 2017, 10:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

James O'Brien does some great work. . . This is particularly good about the big time Tax avoiders and Brexit!!

https://youtu.be/7gVc8qfuNrk

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 07, 2017, 09:20:15 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 07, 2017, 09:11:20 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 07, 2017, 09:02:05 PM
Govt try to bleed you dry with taxes, road tax, house purchase tax, income tax, inheritance tax, f**kers have a tax for everything

That's how they pay for roads, schools, hospitals and whatnot. How should they do it?

I think the point is that the ordinary PAYE worker cannot avoid tax but the powerful and rich people/companies seem to be able to. I'd say most people have no issue paying their share but like a lot of things in life there's no balance to the debate. Avondhu Stars reply to my post above underlines that, a simply ridiculous comment.

It also has to be said a lot of the super rich pay more to HMRC than the ordinary PAYE worker.  I remember an article from a few years ago where the top 3000 earners pay more in tax than the bottom 9 million out of 30 odd milliom who pay tax in UK.   

So if you were one of those super rich individuals and you seen a way to do something legal to avoid paying as much you might be tempted..there is still a good chance they are paying more in Tac overall than the average worker.  I have more of an issue with the likes of Apple and the big companies although again the counter argument could be that Apple pay more tax than any company in the world.

I'm sure we have all had tradesmen or mechanics or people do work cash in hand as it will work out cheaper for us...at the end of the day this is the very same principle and is arguably worse as its Tax evasion rather than avoidance and is actually illegal.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

TabClear

Govt try to bleed you dry with taxes, road tax, house purchase tax, income tax, inheritance tax, f**kers have a tax for everything

That's how they pay for roads, schools, hospitals and whatnot. How should they do it?

I think the point is that the ordinary PAYE worker cannot avoid tax but the powerful and rich people/companies seem to be able to. I'd say most people have no issue paying their share but like a lot of things in life there's no balance to the debate. Avondhu Stars reply to my post above underlines that, a simply ridiculous comment.

This is the crux of the issue and it should not be like that. I understand that governments (and the Irish government is more culpable than most) see a "light touch" tax regime as a major factor in attracting investment that generates jobs  but it cant be at the expense of fair regulation. There are too many loopholes that the  legislators know about that they do nothing to close.

As an example in the Paradise papers, apparently the Isle of Man has hundreds of private planes registered there. Lewis Hamilton stopped off for 2 hours in his private jet, got an Isle of Man official to stamp his import documentation (all perfectly legal in theory) and claimed a multi million VAT refund. I have read how the structure he used works and its so complex that a) it should be open to challenge and b) even if it is deemed to be legal, the loophole (if thats what its deemed to be) could be closed relatively easily. Hamilton and his advisors have declared everything properly so its up to the Revenue to take a case against them under a) to get a decision that removes any ambiguity around this and recover the lost tax. Given almost €1bn has been refunded to various plane owners under similar schemes in the last decade, surely that is worth the effort if they believe the legislation is not working as they intended.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 08, 2017, 12:00:00 AM

It also has to be said a lot of the super rich pay more to HMRC than the ordinary PAYE worker.  I remember an article from a few years ago where the top 3000 earners pay more in tax than the bottom 9 million out of 30 odd milliom who pay tax in UK.   

So if you were one of those super rich individuals and you seen a way to do something legal to avoid paying as much you might be tempted..there is still a good chance they are paying more in Tac overall than the average worker.  I have more of an issue with the likes of Apple and the big companies although again the counter argument could be that Apple pay more tax than any company in the world.

I'm sure we have all had tradesmen or mechanics or people do work cash in hand as it will work out cheaper for us...at the end of the day this is the very same principle and is arguably worse as its Tax evasion rather than avoidance and is actually illegal.
that's cause they earn ridiculous amounts of money in the first place

AQMP

Is that not the definition of a progressive tax system such as the one that operates in the UK?

AQMP

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 07, 2017, 08:58:56 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on November 07, 2017, 07:42:52 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on November 07, 2017, 07:36:30 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 07, 2017, 09:34:56 AM
Next time you hear some idiot giving out about benefits remind them that if tax avoidance were ended we could pay those benefits multiple times over and still have plenty of extra money.

That's the answer. Give the wasters on benefits even more

Typical middle-class generalisation there.
Or maybe the opinion of someone who hits the road around 6.30 every morning while the local scum on benefits are sleeping off their Dutch Gold.
Of course the Shinners defend the dole merchants rather than the tax payer

I don't have the source but I read somewhere that most benefits (in the UK) are paid to people who are in work, but are on low wages.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 07, 2017, 08:58:56 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on November 07, 2017, 07:42:52 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on November 07, 2017, 07:36:30 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 07, 2017, 09:34:56 AM
Next time you hear some idiot giving out about benefits remind them that if tax avoidance were ended we could pay those benefits multiple times over and still have plenty of extra money.

That's the answer. Give the wasters on benefits even more

Typical middle-class generalisation there.
Or maybe the opinion of someone who hits the road around 6.30 every morning while the local scum on benefits are sleeping off their Dutch Gold.
Of course the Shinners defend the dole merchants rather than the tax payer
There's a lot of truth in that Avondhu and they get council houses while a lot of workers don't have a stable roof over their head and have to pay exorbitant rents. It's a ridiculously unfair system that doesn't reward those who work over those that don't, but that doesn't make those who don't work wasters or scum. It probably just makes them cute, given the system. Imo those who are working on low wages should be given preference for social housing which they should be given for a fixed number of years to allow them to save for their own home . People shouldn't be allowed to buy their council houses or keep them when their financial situation improves as happens now.

In any case it would surely be a lot cheaper in the long run for the government to build new houses for those on the waiting list than paying out a never ending fortune for rent allowance.

The rich and powerful who make the rules are scum imo. I wouldn't blame those who figure with good reason that working isn't worth it.

seafoid

Ordinary schmucks in the UK have seen wages fall by 15% after inflation since 2007.
You can see the effect of capital vs labour over 30 years here :

https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/tucfiles/TheGreatWagesGrab.pdf

The rich have been creaming it.
The Government can't get the deficit to zero because workers are not getting payrises and the rich are evading taxes. This is all part of a system.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Seriously, who gives a fcuk?

Remember reading the book of a well known singer. His accountant rings him and says, better buy some property or the taxman will get £3/4 million of your earnings. So he goes and buys his 4th or 5th big house. Does that make him a tax dodger? Does it f**k. Good luck to him.

It's every man for himself.

T Fearon

I am indebted to my Solicitor who worked tirelessly and extremely creatively a while ago to ensure I was exempt from inheritance tax,though he did warn me I could incur a fairly hefty bill should I decide to sell some of my assets.

gallsman

Quote from: T Fearon on November 09, 2017, 01:11:02 AM
I am indebted to my Solicitor who worked tirelessly and extremely creatively a while ago to ensure I was exempt from inheritance tax,though he did warn me I could incur a fairly hefty bill should I decide to sell some of my assets.

You'll be able to swing the 2.50 due from a house sale in Portadown.

passedit

The point about the Rich Evading/Avoiding taxes is the effect it has on the quality of life of everyone else. Many years ago, whilst training in the Inland Revenue, we were told that if people all paid their dues their would be one tax rate of 11%. Look at the graphic above comparing IR's estimate with that of TJN and imagine paying less than 5% tax on your earnings Legally.

Now imagine all this money circulating in the economy rather than gathering dust in offshore bank accounts. But yeah those idle poor scroungers eh!
Don't Panic

haranguerer

Well, that was absolute bollocks they told you.

rosnarun

before people get on their high horses
Ask do you know anyone  (including yourself) that  didnt minimize their tax liability
As for companies they cant have a conscience as they are not sentient beings   ,companies solely exist to make money for their owners ,
Morals are displayed purely for commercial purposes
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Denn Forever

Is it Tax Evasion or Tax Avoidance that is a crime?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...