Apple's data centre in Athenry

Started by Maroon Manc, October 12, 2017, 11:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 06, 2017, 12:28:02 PM
Building a stateof the art facility?  Plenty of state of the art facilities lying vacant in Kildare,  County Galwat and Dublin.  We need another white elephant.

Examples? Why are they empty?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Denn Forever

Kildare HP

Co. Dublin Gateway, Swords - Motorolo, Madge

What could they be used for?  Indoor karting?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

armaghniac

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 06, 2017, 01:50:30 PM
Kildare HP

Co. Dublin Gateway, Swords - Motorolo, Madge

What could they be used for?  Indoor karting?

I don't see how Gateway can be state of the art since it closed 15 years ago.
The others may not be suitable for data centres.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

15 Per cent tax is a scam. Apple don't even pay it. Apple use Ireland for tax washing. I have a camera battery charger by Hähnel. Produced by Hähnel Ireland. How many employees?
None of the mncs chipped in when FF ran the country into the ground.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on November 06, 2017, 02:24:37 PM
15 Per cent tax is a scam. Apple don't even pay it. Apple use Ireland for tax washing. I have a camera battery charger by Hähnel. Produced by Hähnel Ireland. How many employees?

Seafoid - you are of course correct but lets face it - this is the economic model we have chosen and have done nothing to evolve or move on from it. If/when it ceases to work for us we are screwed but when you're a prostitute you can't really complain about the sex part.

seafoid

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 06, 2017, 03:47:58 PM

Seafoid - you are of course correct but lets face it - this is the economic model we have chosen and have done nothing to evolve or move on from it. If/when it ceases to work for us we are screwed but when you're a prostitute you can't really complain about the sex part.
We are screwed anyway Seanie. Pensions will be wiped out unless the system is changed. If Davitt could do it over a century ago it can be done again.

Syferus

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Syferus on November 06, 2017, 01:09:11 PM

Apple have 30% or so of the US smartphone market while Android has 65% - there is no monopoly, but obviously you didn't check your facts on this one.

Depending on your jurisdiction a monopoly is usually regarded as anyone with over 25% of market share. It's not illegal to have a monopoly, but it is illegal to abuse it.

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 06, 2017, 06:53:37 PM

Apple have 30% or so of the US smartphone market while Android has 65% - there is no monopoly, but obviously you didn't check your facts on this one.

Depending on your jurisdiction a monopoly is usually regarded as anyone with over 25% of market share. It's not illegal to have a monopoly, but it is illegal to abuse it.
Apple makes something like 80 per cent of profits in the mobile market. That is Monopoly power.

thebigfella

Quote from: seafoid on November 06, 2017, 07:23:24 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 06, 2017, 06:53:37 PM

Apple makes something like 80 per cent of profits in the mobile market. That is Monopoly power.

Apple make high end consumer mobile products. Consumers choose to purchase them, there is plenty of competing companies in the space offering same products and at lower prices. I don't think you understand the definition of a monopoly if you are using the above as an example.

Syferus

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 06, 2017, 08:35:54 PM
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-data-centers-fail-to-bring-new-jobs-to-small-towns/

I don't think people understand that even 50 jobs is massive to a town the size of Athenry. And a bunch of them are quite well paid jobs at that.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on November 06, 2017, 05:02:57 PM
We're doing just fine.

Roscommon football is a victim of the economic model. Roscommon never benefits from plutocracy because it doesn't have any ski resorts and it is largely rural.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/06/bernie-sanders-paradise-papers-leak-international-oligarchy

The major issue of our time is the rapid movement toward international oligarchy in which a handful of billionaires own and control a significant part of the global economy. The Paradise Papers shows how these billionaires and multinational corporations get richer by hiding their wealth and profits and avoid paying their fair share of taxes," the US senator from Vermont said.

Sanders, who came in a close second to Hillary Clinton in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination last year, pointed the finger of blame for the flourishing of offshore holdings on both Congress and the Trump administration. He told the Guardian that Republicans in Congress were responsible for providing "even more tax breaks to profitable corporations like Apple and Nike"."

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/3327c766-c325-11e7-b2bb-322b2cb39656

Apple advisers at US law firm Baker Mackenzie approached Appleby, the offshore law firm at the heart of the Paradise Papers leak, in 2014 about available tax structures in the Cayman Islands, the British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey, according to the ICIJ.

One of the emails from Baker Mackenzie to Appleby, released by the ICIJ, stated: "Confirm that an Irish company can conduct management activities . . . without being subject to taxation in your jurisdiction."

The ICIJ said Apple eventually "settled on Jersey . . . [which was to] play a significant role in Apple's newly configured Irish tax structure set up in late 2014".

"Under this arrangement, the MacBook-maker has continued to enjoy ultra-low tax rates on most of its profits and now holds much of its non-US earnings in a $252bn mountain of cash offshore," it added.

A subsidiary, Apple Operations Europe, became resident in Ireland, the ICIJ reported.

Tax experts said it was likely that Apple was taking advantage of the increased generosity of Ireland's tax deductions for intellectual property such as patents and trademarks. They cited as evidence the sudden appearance of close to $270bn of intangible assets in Ireland's national accounts.

A law professor told the ICIJ that any income that Apple now generated in Ireland "could be partially offset by more than $13bn in tax deductions each year for 15 years".

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on November 06, 2017, 04:30:27 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 06, 2017, 03:47:58 PM

We are screwed anyway Seanie. Pensions will be wiped out unless the system is changed. If Davitt could do it over a century ago it can be done again.

I think if we are courageous, proactive and have a vision for the future we can wean ourselves off the American tit (pun intended) and migrate to a more sustainable, less volatile economic model. It will take time though and I'm not sure how much of that we have. I also realise that courage, proactivity and vision are in short supply though but I'm an optimist at heart.