Thread for Tony Fearon to to pontificate about Catholicism

Started by heganboy, September 12, 2017, 01:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I,like millions of others believe Jesus died and rose and was ascended into heaven,not reincarnated.

punt kick

Quote from: T Fearon on September 26, 2017, 05:13:39 PM
There is nothing in the Bible to suggest reincarnation,neither was it mentioned by Jesus.

There's nothing in the Bible written by anyone who met Jesus - Harry Potter is more relevant for moral guidance.

Rossfan

John's Gospel?
Tony, will the Dalai Lama eventually get to Heaven when he finishes reincarnating? ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

Sadly not,unless,as Ive said on numerous occasions,he believes in Jesus as his saviour and repents

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on September 26, 2017, 04:07:13 PM
I don't believe in reincarnation.One Life,One Judgement,one or other Eternity.

By the way I do not understand the motivation to turn away from the Church or God due to the tiny minority of paedophiles masquerading as priests.I do not revere clergy (I do respect them and have been thankful for their support,for instance,when my father died earlier this year),but it is Church teachings I adhere to not so much the institution,which like all institutions,will experience good and bad times,make mistakes etc

At least we are off the 'mere handful' narrative. It may be a tiny minority but let's not pretend that the number of paedo priests isn't a high number

T Fearon

The number of paedos who were schoolteachers is a high number as is the number of paedos who abused their own relatives.As I say my allegiance is to the theology not the institution.

omaghjoe

Quote from: LCohen on September 26, 2017, 08:23:16 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 21, 2017, 09:04:34 PM
Non believers will not be admitted.That is those who have reached the age of reason,heard the gospel and sadly rejected it.There also is no transfer market in or out of heaven.Scripture is clear about this.

As I get older I see more and more sense in the Calvinist doctrine of presdestination,i.e. Your eternal destination is mapped out by God before you are born.

As you say there is no transfer market. What if you have believed in the wong god. On another thread OmaghJoe danced away from this issue. You just ignored it. It seems to be a difficulty for you
:D :D
Sure That wasnt even your statement that spawned our exchange but Im not really surprised you come out with that as you continue with one logical fallacy after another and deny them even after you've been explicitly called out on it. Logic is logic Leonard what...  can I say
You framed the subject in black and white when it is infinitely more complicated than that.
Your statement was akin to "If you believe Einstein was right then you believe Newton and Euclid were wrong"
Which is, as was your statement, a complete over simplification of a complicated subject

Your entitled to believe what you want to believe Leonard even if your wrong...admitting that you might be tho is probably going to be more difficult.

omaghjoe

In any case... the most interesting thing for me in this thread is predestination. Im surprised (tho not really  ::) ) at the posters declaring it rubbish, especially when they base most of what they say on the belief that the laws of nature are an absolute truth.

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on September 26, 2017, 09:22:04 PM
The number of paedos who were schoolteachers is a high number as is the number of paedos who abused their own relatives.As I say my allegiance is to the theology not the institution.

Being from portadown i reckon you probably know that about teachers very well but this isn't a thread about teachers or family. Child molesting is a problem witrhin the Catholic Church and needs to be tackled not dismissed by saying it's a mere handful, a minority or whataboutery

T Fearon

Child abuse is a problem in society.There has been several convictions among Church of England clergy recently.The Pope acknowledged last weekend once again that the Church was at fault.But the procedures in place now to protect children and vulnerable adults are extremely robust,priests are stood down the minute an allegation is raised and the statutory authorities are informed.

There are also many priests with alcohol problems and many more afflicted with all other problems and addictions that beset humankind.But this does not detract from the veracity of Church theology.

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on September 26, 2017, 09:58:58 PM
Child abuse is a problem in society.There has been several convictions among Church of England clergy recently.The Pope acknowledged last weekend once again that the Church was at fault.But the procedures in place now to protect children and vulnerable adults are extremely robust,priests are stood down the minute an allegation is raised and the statutory authorities are informed.

There are also many priests with alcohol problems and many more afflicted with all other problems and addictions that beset humankind.But this does not detract from the veracity of Church theology.

Talk about shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted. The problem is there as it has been for a long time. More should have been done in the past and more should be done now. That said, people who make spurious allegations - my parish is St Peters Lurgan - should be prosecuted too

punt kick

Quote from: Rossfan on September 26, 2017, 08:41:15 PM
John's Gospel?
Tony, will the Dalai Lama eventually get to Heaven when he finishes reincarnating? ?

No one knows who wrote that, certainly not anyone who knew Jesus.

T Fearon

The gospels are an accurate record of the life and death and resurrection of Jesus

punt kick

Quote from: T Fearon on September 27, 2017, 07:43:14 AM
The gospels are an accurate record of the life and death and resurrection of Jesus

How can they be when they were written long after his death by folk who never met him?

T Fearon

There are biographies still being written about Elvis Presley.The gospels are eye witness accounts of the life of Jesus