Thread for Tony Fearon to to pontificate about Catholicism

Started by heganboy, September 12, 2017, 01:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

If I brew and sell beer am I responsible for the death of alcoholics or for alcohol fuelled domestic violence? I think not.If people misuse products it is not in any way the fault of the manufacturer.

red hander

Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2017, 09:42:29 PM
If I brew and sell beer am I responsible for the death of alcoholics or for alcohol fuelled domestic violence? I think not.If people misuse products it is not in any way the fault of the manufacturer.

What about tobacco? Nicotine is a highly addictive substance, so the manufacturer is blameless? Wise up.
And what's your take on the Catholic Church helping mass murdering Nazis escape after the war on the Vatican rat line?

MoChara

To be fair its like him having shares in Richardsons Fertilizer and then blaming him for making bombs and blowing up buildings.

T Fearon

Exactly or having shares in Nescafé and being accused of producing coffee jars for bombs

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 27, 2017, 02:46:07 PM
You are far too obsessed with minor details,like the birthplace of Jesus etc.The core issues are as follows:

Belief in and acceptance of Christ as your saviour

Repent sin

Do your utmost to live a good life free from serious sin.

The birth of Jesus is far from a minor detail. The contrived Bethlehem scenario was contrived by the authors precisely to fulfill a expectation created by the bible. This must call into question the motivation and truthfulness of the authors.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 27, 2017, 03:17:34 PM
Because the alternative is eternal damnation

Any proof outside personal belief?

And what is the personal belief based upon other than your personal a la carte selections from the bible?

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 27, 2017, 07:40:41 PM
Only God can judge whether repentance is genuine and sufficient to reach heaven.
What if you've got the wrong God?

T Fearon

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 04, 2017, 08:23:50 PM
How do you know biblical accounts are inaccurate?

We know that opposing biblical versions cannot both be true.

We know that Herod did not call a census.

We know that there was no census requirement for citizens to travel to the designated home town of a ancestor from 1000 years previous for the purpose of a census

We know that the bible is factually incorrect in these respects

T Fearon

You know nothing.You believe it's not true,I believe it is.It cannot be proved nor disproved.One of us will be right the other wrong.We'll both find out

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 04, 2017, 08:55:57 PM
You know nothing.You believe it's not true,I believe it is.It cannot be proved nor disproved.One of us will be right the other wrong.We'll both find out

A census is a matter of historical record.

Rome never called a census for the entire empire. You can check this. No need to revert to belief.

Herod didn't call a local census during the period of Jesus life. You can check this. No need to revert to belief.

There are good records of censuses. There is no record of forced travel to the stomping grounds of ancient ancestors. If you want to default to personal belief do you believe it likely that you could be told that in the 2021 census you would have to submit your return (even by post) to the home town of a designated ancestor from the year 1021? Surely it becomes incredulous at some stage?

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 04, 2017, 08:55:57 PM

So when the bible says Jesus wasn't born in Bethlehem, do you believe that as well?

T Fearon

These are minor details whose historical worldly accuracy or otherwise doesn't matter.It's a bit like the dispute over Charlie Haughey's birthplace (s). What matters is the belief that Jesus was born,was crucified and rose again.The last bit is as much proof that exists of God's existence.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 04, 2017, 09:19:52 PM
These are minor details whose historical worldly accuracy or otherwise doesn't matter.It's a bit like the dispute over Charlie Haughey's birthplace (s). What matters is the belief that Jesus was born,was crucified and rose again.The last bit is as much proof that exists of God's existence.

Nobody ever claimed Charlie was of virgin born

Nobody ever claimed Charlie fulfilled an Old Testament prediction.

Nobody claimed Charlie was the son of god although I would be surprised if he never touched him for a loan