Off the Ball v Second Captains - So Who Won?

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 26, 2013, 10:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger95

Journalists cost money lads - whereas "content curators" are ten a penny.

I see the American journo Bill Simmons who was behind the Grantland US sports site has done a deal with HBO and launched a new site called "The Ringer" - I think it is split 50/50 between sports and pop culture. I'll give it a try, Grantland was good on its day.

AZOffaly

Quote from: easytiger95 on June 08, 2016, 10:24:47 AM

I see the American journo Bill Simmons who was behind the Grantland US sports site has done a deal with HBO and launched a new site called "The Ringer" - I think it is split 50/50 between sports and pop culture. I'll give it a try, Grantland was good on its day.

Even the photos of those guys on Joe.ie annoy me. The lad with the big shit eating grin, and the hipster lad with the beard. And then you read the shite they spout. Jaysus.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 07, 2016, 10:06:51 PM
Quote from: ashman on June 07, 2016, 09:15:58 PM
Joe and Balls are crocks of 5hit .

I agree. Absolute cockology.

Pundit Arena is the pits!! Awful clickbait trash.

gallsman

Quote from: easytiger95 on June 08, 2016, 10:24:47 AM

The Ringer is basically Grantland reborn. 75% of the staff are the same. They're missing Bill Barnwell (NFL) and Zach Lowe (NBA) who ESPN made sure to keep when they shut Grantland down.

The podcasts they do are generally very good.

Basically, if you can avoid any material that Simmons himself isn't actually involved with, it's pretty decent.

Dinny Breen

Off the Ball again last night, what a radio show. This is the kind of radio our licence fee should be paying for. Billy Walsh is on tonight just voted World Coach of the year, breaks my heart to see him in the US corner.
#newbridgeornowhere

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 22, 2016, 09:12:53 AM
Off the Ball again last night, what a radio show. This is the kind of radio our licence fee should be paying for. Billy Walsh is on tonight just voted World Coach of the year, breaks my heart to see him in the US corner.

+1 absolutely superb radio

Declan

What do folks think of IT contributors not being allowed on OTB now? Silence from Messrs Gilroy. Molloy etc deafening presumably under instructions from he who cannot be named?

AZOffaly

Declan

QuoteWho's not allowed on OTB?

Gerry Thornley not allowed on the Rugger section he's been doing for 12 years -

Gerry Thornley‏ @gerrythornley · 18h18 hours ago 

Yup, in reply to all the queries, I will not be on Wed Night Rugby on Off the Ball tonight. After 12 years! Gotta admit, feels strange.

Antrim Coaster

While they're at it they should jettison Kevin Kilbane - a dose if ever there was one.

macdanger2

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on October 12, 2017, 02:41:21 PM
While they're at it they should jettison Kevin Kilbane - a dose if ever there was one.

I like Killer

sid waddell

Quote from: Declan on October 12, 2017, 11:51:58 AM
What do folks think of IT contributors not being allowed on OTB now? Silence from Messrs Gilroy. Molloy etc deafening presumably under instructions from he who cannot be named?
The ban on Irish Times staff applies to all Communicorp stations, so Today FM and Spin FM are also included.

For instance, Patrick Freyne, who regularly did the TV review segment on The Last Word, is now banned.

But Sean Moncrieff, who presents a Newstalk show, is apparently getting a new regular column in the Irish Times. I'd bet anything Newstalk won't sack him.

Fintan O'Toole has been proved absolutely right in his assessment of Newstalk management.

Expect Harvey Weinstein to feature soon on the station.

Main Street

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 12, 2017, 03:26:29 PM
Quote from: Antrim Coaster on October 12, 2017, 02:41:21 PM

I like Killer
Killer is very good,  still the clean cut killer.

easytiger95

Quote from: Declan on October 12, 2017, 01:35:00 PM
QuoteWho's not allowed on OTB?

Gerry Thornley not allowed on the Rugger section he's been doing for 12 years -

Gerry Thornley‏ @gerrythornley · 18h18 hours ago 

Yup, in reply to all the queries, I will not be on Wed Night Rugby on Off the Ball tonight. After 12 years! Gotta admit, feels strange.

I hadn't heard that, because I have been weaning myself off OTB for a long auld while, the kimmage stuff re the dubs was the last straw for me.

That is an absolutely terrible decision, the media is a small enough industry in Ireland, and it is hard enough to make a crust without bans being implemented. I would hope that Second Captains pick up thornley.