CV's

Started by DownFanatic, August 25, 2009, 02:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 07, 2017, 04:01:47 PM
Quote from: Boycey on November 07, 2017, 03:46:57 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 07, 2017, 03:39:11 PM
Is your Linked In profile up to date?

I figured someone would ask something like this. No would be the honest answer, I registered one time in nosiness and have some contacts. I seldom look at it.. is it now an essential?

Just on the profile a few have suggested, does this form part of actual CV or is it in the form of a cover letter. The online application just specified 'Attach CV'

Jaysus I'm miles out of practice at this.

It's usually a little blurb at the top of the CV, just under name, date of birth, etc. The CVs can be hard work for people to review, and they are all very samey. So if you are looking through them, you are looking for terms and experience that is meaningful for you. So if a candidate has a little profile at the top, and it hits the right notes, it's a sure fire way of making sure your CV gets the attention it deserves.
You can use the profile to highlight words in the job description as well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macdanger2

Go through the job description and make sure that you've mentioned all the required skills / experience listed in it (verbatim for the major ones). The person reading it will be familiar with the job description so if your CV resonates with it, you'll have a good chance of getting an interview

Good luck with it

stew

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 07, 2017, 06:34:04 PM
Go through the job description and make sure that you've mentioned all the required skills / experience listed in it (verbatim for the major ones). The person reading it will be familiar with the job description so if your CV resonates with it, you'll have a good chance of getting an interview

Good luck with it

I remember paying big money to get mine updated around the year 2,000, I recently brought my details to my local job centre in Armagh and got a ticket to see someone to get help with updating and indeed doing up A CV for people and again he said they did not, at this point I asked him to check, five minutes later he returns and tells me that they do in fact fact do up a CV for people but he is unwilling to update mine because 'I am here to help the unemployed, not the employed'  I could believe my ears given the fact this tube was uselss and walked out in disgust.

A week ago I was told to go in and ask to speak to a well known employee down at the dole office, I know this lad well, he comes from a great Harps family and is a great lad, after explaining the situation to him he told me 'No bother stew' and had the thing done in less than a day, and it is far better than the one I paid $100.00 plus for in 2,000, it is first class and when I see him in the club next weekend there will be a few jars floated in his direction.

Thanks big NC, I really appreciate the help and I wish everyone was as obliging down there as you are mate!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

There's this thing called the internet. No one should be paying someone to do their CV for them, or even look over it.

Boycey

Thanks folks, especially those who went the extra mile and messaged me  :)

stew

Quote from: Syferus on November 07, 2017, 09:32:36 PM
There's this thing called the internet. No one should be paying someone to do their CV for them, or even look over it.

It was in the year 2000 and I didnt really use the internet back then, is that ok?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Avondhu star

Quote from: stew on November 08, 2017, 10:15:20 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 07, 2017, 09:32:36 PM

It was in the year 2000 and I didnt really use the internet back then, is that ok?
Wow. You really have come on. Soon you will be able to walk to school by yourself
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you