CV's

Started by DownFanatic, August 25, 2009, 02:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

PM me if it is a legal CV you are after, I have loads saved.

Boycey

Good folks,

I've been in the same job for nearly 20 years and its boring the bollix out of me at this stage (and isn't very fulfilling given the inordinate amount of time I spend on here). I've recently seen online something that interests me and the 1st part of the application process is the uploading of a CV. Can someone point me in the direction of a suitable template for a 'modern' CV as I'm sure the criteria has changed greatly since I last had one.

Any other advice of do's/don't also gratefully received.. 

seafoid

Quote from: Boycey on November 07, 2017, 11:47:19 AM
Good folks,

I've been in the same job for nearly 20 years and its boring the bollix out of me at this stage (and isn't very fulfilling given the inordinate amount of time I spend on here). I've recently seen online something that interests me and the 1st part of the application process is the uploading of a CV. Can someone point me in the direction of a suitable template for a 'modern' CV as I'm sure the criteria has changed greatly since I last had one.

One idea is to have a short profile at the start describing yourself in an overview plus what you are looking for. This gives HR people a good steer. You can vary the text to suit each individual job you apply for.

Try to keep the CV to 2 pages.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Walter Cronc

1 page cover letter (4 or 5 short paragraphs on career to date and how this job appeals to you and your skillset)

2 page CV with academic qualifications, experience (relevant projects) and key skills.

Happy to send through mine if you want to PM me.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2017, 12:22:15 PM
Good folks,

One idea is to have a short profile at the start describing yourself in an overview plus what you are looking for. This gives HR people a good steer. You can vary the text to suit each individual job you apply for.

I agree with this. A short blurb about yourself, and especially highlighting areas you think are of interest. I am an IT professional with 20 years experience with a proven track record in blah blah blah. If that is snappy and relevant, it makes people read the rest of the CV as Walter describes, with more interest.

Orior

Is your Linked In profile up to date?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 07, 2017, 03:36:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2017, 12:22:15 PM
Good folks,

I agree with this. A short blurb about yourself, and especially highlighting areas you think are of interest. I am an IT professional with 20 years experience with a proven track record in blah blah blah. If that is snappy and relevant, it makes people read the rest of the CV as Walter describes, with more interest.
You can also use it to distinguish yourself from.the competition..
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Boycey

Quote from: Orior on November 07, 2017, 03:39:11 PM

I figured someone would ask something like this. No would be the honest answer, I registered one time in nosiness and have some contacts. I seldom look at it.. is it now an essential?

Just on the profile a few have suggested, does this form part of actual CV or is it in the form of a cover letter. The online application just specified 'Attach CV'

Jaysus I'm miles out of practice at this.

screenexile

The problem I have now with linkedin profiles is that when you update it, and other people in your company see you have, it sticks out like a sore thumb!!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on November 07, 2017, 03:48:32 PM
The problem I have now with linkedin profiles is that when you update it, and other people in your company see you have, it sticks out like a sore thumb!!

There's an option on LinkedIn to make employers and recruiters aware you're interested in new opportunities without making it public. There's nothing suspicious about keeping your LinkedIn profile up to date.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Boycey on November 07, 2017, 03:46:57 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 07, 2017, 03:39:11 PM

I figured someone would ask something like this. No would be the honest answer, I registered one time in nosiness and have some contacts. I seldom look at it.. is it now an essential?

Just on the profile a few have suggested, does this form part of actual CV or is it in the form of a cover letter. The online application just specified 'Attach CV'

Jaysus I'm miles out of practice at this.

It's usually a little blurb at the top of the CV, just under name, date of birth, etc. The CVs can be hard work for people to review, and they are all very samey. So if you are looking through them, you are looking for terms and experience that is meaningful for you. So if a candidate has a little profile at the top, and it hits the right notes, it's a sure fire way of making sure your CV gets the attention it deserves.

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on November 07, 2017, 03:54:24 PM

There's an option on LinkedIn to make employers and recruiters aware you're interested in new opportunities without making it public. There's nothing suspicious about keeping your LinkedIn profile up to date.

Depends on the business you're in. . . when someone in our place has a raft of new skills/experience appearing on the profile it's a sure sign they're looking out the door!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on November 07, 2017, 04:13:09 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 07, 2017, 03:54:24 PM

Depends on the business you're in. . . when someone in our place has a raft of new skills/experience appearing on the profile it's a sure sign they're looking out the door!

Even if that's the case, why would you give two fecks what people at a place you wanted to leave thought?

trueblue1234

Always make sure to tailor a CV to the job description as well. It means more work but companies will generally have a knock out criteria for shortlisting. So go through the job description thoroughly and make sure you highlight aspects that are relevant in your CV.
Always remember the CV is what the company are basing their opinion of you on. So if you've done something that relevant, but you didn't have it in your Cv they'll assume you don't have that skill/ experience.
A scatter gun approach by just sending the same CV out across multiple roles will be easier but you'll find a better response if you tailor it.

Also on Linkedin, I'd definitely recommend taking the time to have it updated. It's easy to update then you can be tortured contacted by businesses/ Agencies that will do some of the hard work for you. Just reply to the ones that look interesting. Takes some of the work away from you.

(Just waiting on Punt Kick to come on to comment)
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

thebigfella

If you have been out of education 20 years, no one cares and it's not relevant unless you are required legally to have it eg. Law, medicine etc.... Professional experience and certifications are what the recruiters will look for, not a GCSE in advanced mathmatics. Lead with your contact details and profile; then current role and previous roles/experience relevant to role you are applying for. Sometimes it worth adding a technical skills summary next (if relevant) and then professional certifications/education. Don't add references, a simple line saying they will be provided on request will suffice.

2 or 3 pages max. 3 pages is sometime is acceptable if you are an (IT) contractor moving around roles and the experience is relevant. In your case you've been in ten same role for 20 years, stick to 2.

I'd argue that any experience outside your current job is irrelevant as it was so long ago; maybe you have some voluntary work etc... you could add as experience as long as relevant. Also try show some sort of progression in your current job over the 20 years (I'm assuming by job you meant the same role and not different roles in the same company); looking objectively at a cv where a person has been in a long term role and happy to to do same thing day in day out for 20 years could be interpreted as a lack of ambition (no offence intended, just giving the benefit of my experience of reviewing and initially filtering out cv's to people I'd like to speak to).

If you have had different job titles/roles within the same company, make sure this is communicated/emphasised. Otherwise maybe think about adding a skills summary section to show relevant skills aquired from your 20 years experience. Less is more too, be succinct and don't waffle just to fill the space.

Unless you have been asked for a covering letter, then don't bother as it won't get looked at.