Nuclear Ireland

Started by thejuice, May 06, 2007, 02:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Ireland go for nuclear power.

Yes
No

thejuice

I would like to think of myself as middleground, but with a slight leaning to the left. I really haope Ireland doesnt go for the nuclear option. While it is reletively safe from explosions and leaks, it still will have an adverse effect on the surrounding ecology and local health.

When you think about wind power and other renewables, while they are not pefect at the moment, with continued development and investment will improve. They dont burn any fuels only requiring the wind to blow to create electricity.

I look out my back window and i see them and while they may disrupt the rolling landscape, its a lot more re-assuring to me to see them than to think that there is a nuclear reactor somewhere beyond the horizon.

And if wind turbines arent working out or get out dated, so what, just take them down, the only cost is financial. What if we did use nuclear power and in the future renewables become more efficent what do we do with our nuclear station and its waste. It cant be dismantled and recylced like you could a wind turbine.

I know nuclear has its positives but i just feel that once you go for it theres no going back, and the damamge it would do to the environment just isnt worth it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

fior gael ultach

Mayo4Sam

At the minute Ireland couldn't possibly go for Nuclear.

At the minute the consumption of the country is abot 500MW, we currently have a capacity of 600MW. There is a thing called reserve which is where a station is on back-up and if a station already in use goes down for whatever reason it comes onto the grid in place of it. Alternatively some companys load-shed. Both of these options are expensice but necessary.

The minimum size of a nuclear reactor is about 250MW, this would equate to about 50% of our total electricity need, but we would require back-up of 250MW in case anything went wrong. And by going wrong I dont mean Chernobyl tyoe thing, these reactors can go down and be contained within the station.

Countrys such as England and France can have a much larger load and so can use these.

Also it would take until about 2020 to build a nuclear power station if we started this year.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

nifan

Does Ireland not purchase some electricity from the UK at the moment?

Mayo4Sam

There is an interconnector between the republic and NI and another between Scotland and NI.
There is one that between the republic and Ireland to be opened in the next few years

armaghniac

QuoteThere is one that between the republic and Ireland to be opened in the next few years

What voltage will it be?

QuoteThere is an interconnector between the republic and NI
The present cross-border link disfigures South Armagh, I another is proposed further West.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mayo4Sam

Dont know what the voltage will be but i'll check it out

And just realised my figures should all have an extra zero on them, max demand 5000MW

Declan

thejuice

Quote from: Declan on May 09, 2007, 01:49:45 PM
Surely this is the way to go????

http://www.steorn.com/orbo/

That website told us nothing! It makes reference to "our technology", but what is it, how does it work and how come we cant see it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Ah, Ok i did a bit of reseach , i realise that these Steorn people are being dubbed a hoax by scientists, but they've set up a test by 12 scientists to test the technology in whatever way they like to se if it works.

Their claims fly in the face of the Laws of Physics. I guess some of you already knew about this. I've never heard this storey before