GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the goal was on

Tyrone once again no proper measures in place. If it was a bar they would have been shut down and fines issued. U can argue all u want about what gaa done in early stages but it's no excuse for what is happening now.

Will it ever end

Ulster GAA will likely come under immense pressure over the coming days to press the remaining counties to finish their championships to go behind closed doors.

five points

Quote from: Will it ever end on September 21, 2020, 12:39:31 PM
Ulster GAA will likely come under immense pressure over the coming days to press the remaining counties to finish their championships to go behind closed doors.

Two chances of that happening.

Will it ever end

I don't mean Ulster Championship - they'll have total control of crowds etc but club championships - scenes like yesterday whilst unbelievable for those involved are difficult to defend in an worsening pandemic situation, adding in that some counties in the north are flouting the prescribed quota of entrances with obviously no track and trace - it's a recipe for disaster.

In stark contrast to scenes in the south at the moment.

five points

I know exactly what you mean. If the Ulster Council told Cavan to play their county final behind closed doors, the reply would be sweet.

BennyCake

Even if Tyrone final had no fans at it, thousands would be congregating in houses and pubs, celebrating/hugging/close contact etc. The only difference being nobody would have seen it. But it still would have happened.

Rossfan

So Tyrones just can't behave or act responsibly?
Not helping the GAA's case going to Government looking to have some crowds at the Inter Co Championships.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40052378.html
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyCake on September 21, 2020, 01:47:26 PM
Even if Tyrone final had no fans at it, thousands would be congregating in houses and pubs, celebrating/hugging/close contact etc. The only difference being nobody would have seen it. But it still would have happened.

But then at least the GAA won't have them doing it live on television.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 21, 2020, 11:33:44 AM
The ball thing is not important symbolism at all. You have a good few things you could get at here but that's not one of them.

Maybe we should give these stewards tazers too BB2 ;D

As I say I think you have some valid points in there but you sometimes lose them in your haste to criticise everything GAA. The picture on that teamtalkmag of dungannon supporters doesn't look good.

My view remains cordon off seats in the stand and then the rest is up to advice. Also I do believe Limerick and Tipp finals in the hurling were pretty good in general for distancing.

How am I criticising 'all things GAA' by making a point you agree with that the GAA is clearly not taking this seriously enough while being outraged at ongoing restrictions?

I'm genuinely bewildered at the notion its unfair to expect stewards to enforce rules in the ground. What exactly is the point of them then?

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 21, 2020, 03:31:35 PM

As soon as the GAA let people through the gate it is their responsibility to ensure everyone follows the rules and even more so when they know it is being broadcast. That comes with the territory especially in the current times. The sames goes for people at home or publicians. They have a similar duty. It is impossible to defend those scenes and it just opens the door for the likes of our esteemed leader Arlene and Stephen Nolan to have a pop at the GAA. Not that they need much of an opening to do so.

the goal was on

Any one with half a brain would knee this was the likely scenario yesterday . It happened after semi final so they already had the warning . Segregate the stands , stick to the 400 limit ( over 1000 there) don't open gates and charge cash at gate, put out warning during game to stay off pitch. Do this in run up to game as well so teams supporters are informed. Not the same as before but like all walks of life people have to do their bit!

the goal was on

Les the way during the pandemic seems to be the justification! Ok so we'll deliver a few food packs so we can at a later date engage in mass gathering and shake hands with anyone we see!!

imtommygunn

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 21, 2020, 03:34:54 PM
The ball thing is not important symbolism at all. You have a good few things you could get at here but that's not one of them.

As I say I think you have some valid points in there but you sometimes lose them in your haste to criticise everything GAA. The picture on that teamtalkmag of dungannon supporters doesn't look good.

My view remains cordon off seats in the stand and then the rest is up to advice. Also I do believe Limerick and Tipp finals in the hurling were pretty good in general for distancing.

How am I criticising 'all things GAA' by making a point you agree with that the GAA is clearly not taking this seriously enough while being outraged at ongoing restrictions?

I'm genuinely bewildered at the notion its unfair to expect stewards to enforce rules in the ground. What exactly is the point of them then?

It's not specific to this post - it's all of them then you nit pick with "symbolism".

If you volunteered to steward would you turf someone out who wouldn't listen to you?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on September 21, 2020, 03:40:43 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 21, 2020, 03:31:35 PM

As soon as the GAA let people through the gate it is their responsibility to ensure everyone follows the rules and even more so when they know it is being broadcast. That comes with the territory especially in the current times. The sames goes for people at home or publicians. They have a similar duty. It is impossible to defend those scenes and it just opens the door for the likes of our esteemed leader Arlene and Stephen Nolan to have a pop at the GAA. Not that they need much of an opening to do so.

I'm more concerned about the public health implications than the optics but anyway

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 21, 2020, 04:37:31 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 21, 2020, 03:34:54 PM

It's not specific to this post - it's all of them then you nit pick with "symbolism".

If you volunteered to steward would you turf someone out who wouldn't listen to you?

Yes. Wouldn't you?