GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rossfan on May 17, 2020, 12:49:43 PM
I'd go with Karen's expert advice before Banty's.

An upgrade on Karen.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Quote from: larryin89 on May 17, 2020, 12:14:26 PM
Does anyone think some people are in lala land about how long this is going to be with us . I see a quote from Banty above about the virus leaving us completely by July . Some scientists have said it will be with us for years . This is what is so confusing , the dramatic contrast in predictions. 

I'm interested to know what other mere mortals like myself think , I can't see how we will have a full house Croke park for years tbh , does anyone else fear that ?

I'm no medical expert, but unless we find a vaccine I can't see how we can errardicate or get rid of the virus. I look at South Korea last week. They reopened their pubs/nightclubs and it was a disaster after just one weekend. It is hard to see any large sporting gatherings here anytime soon.

For what its worth I think the government have been dealing pretty well with the pandemic. They might have made mistakes but no Irish government has ever had to deal with anything like this.

What annoys me is all the idiots on social media who think they're Covid-19 experts criticising the government for everything they do.

Gemma O'Doherty & John Walters are obviously on a different scale. I'd love to know who financed their trip to the high court for their farcical hearing. There's no way those lunatics paid for it themselves

imtommygunn

I would agree. Barring old people's homes I  think the south have done pretty well all things considered. That Gemma o'doherty  should be locked up as much for her own good as anyone else's.

Itchy

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 17, 2020, 07:15:27 PM
I would agree. Barring old people's homes I  think the south have done pretty well all things considered. That Gemma o'doherty  should be locked up as much for her own good as anyone else's.

The old peoples home was a pretty big f**king miss though.

imtommygunn

Yeah and not to defend it but it seems everyone has done it. Even Sweden.

I live in "the north" so how anyone has handled it looks good compared to this shots how. (more due to Johnson to be honest).

five points

Quote from: larryin89 on May 17, 2020, 12:14:26 PM
Does anyone think some people are in lala land about how long this is going to be with us . I see a quote from Banty above about the virus leaving us completely by July . Some scientists have said it will be with us for years . This is what is so confusing , the dramatic contrast in predictions. 

I'm interested to know what other mere mortals like myself think , I can't see how we will have a full house Croke park for years tbh , does anyone else fear that ?

I'm with Banty on this. Viruses never ever go away all of a sudden but die off gradually and the effects of this one will in the coming weeks and months be countered by better and more effective treatments and procedures. If it is a long time before we again see a full Croke Park that will be more because of people's natural caution than any pressing medical reason.

But that's just my opinion. Others may think differently.

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on May 18, 2020, 10:17:31 AM

I'm with Banty on this. Viruses never ever go away all of a sudden but the effects of this one will in the coming weeks and months be countered by better and more effective treatments and procedures.
You don't know that.

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on May 18, 2020, 10:21:11 AM
Quote from: five points on May 18, 2020, 10:17:31 AM

I'm with Banty on this. Viruses never ever go away all of a sudden but the effects of this one will in the coming weeks and months be countered by better and more effective treatments and procedures.
You don't know that.

... which is why I said...
But that's just my opinion. Others may think differently.

Captain Scarlet

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this but one thing that seems to stop a lot of 'the GAA are a joke keeping the gates closed' merchants who seem to be out in force in Twitter and FB is when the question arises of who is going to monitor the grounds when groups are there.

When have people ever fully complied with anything in Ireland and there is no way this is going to be any different.
And let's also get real if the U16s get on the WhatsApp groups for a kick-about 30 will show up and then the mammies and daddies who were screaming to open the pitches while they sit at home will blame the GAA if anything comes up.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

five points

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 18, 2020, 10:38:52 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this but one thing that seems to stop a lot of 'the GAA are a joke keeping the gates closed' merchants is when the question arises of who is going to monitor the grounds when groups are there.

Colm O'Rourke nailed this in his Sindo column yesterday. GAA members and players are walking and running the roads because the walking tracks at pitches are closed. Every day this gets more dangerous as traffic increases. Nobody is monitoring that. Nobody needed to monitor walking tracks when they were open, why now?

Captain Scarlet

Why now? Ah come on there is a global pandemic and there is zero insurance cover right now so the club is fucked if it opens the gates without that.
Colm should take a lead and open up the grounds of St Pats in Navan to help anyone within a 5km radius get some exercise in a safe zone.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

five points

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 18, 2020, 10:48:07 AM
Why now? Ah come on there is a global pandemic and there is zero insurance cover right now so the club is fucked if it opens the gates without that.
Colm should take a lead and open up the grounds of St Pats in Navan to help anyone within a 5km radius get some exercise in a safe zone.

If lack of insurance cover is the issue, it should be restored. Tom Ryan can do that at the stroke of a pen. After all, clubs paid for it and it is outrageous that it was withdrawn in the first place.

Does St Pats Navan even have a public walking track?

Taylor

What is peoples rush with getting GAA grounds open so soon?

There is a Global Pandemic - it is not medically safe to open them yet or to return to games - when it is medically safe the gates will open and it will resume.

I cant see how some people have an issue with it - particularly some on Twitter who have vested interests in getting games back ($$$$)

trailer

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 18, 2020, 10:48:07 AM

Where is this stated?