A la recherche du temps perdu

Started by seafoid, February 23, 2010, 08:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 25, 2010, 05:33:05 PM
I found 'Mayo Blueprint to respectability thread'. It sounded just like we were before the league campaign started this year.

Post it!
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Started by Barney

In many ways it looks like we're going to have thrown another year away to "transition".  and they'll be no  . Now I'm not saying that the players that are there are good enough to win an AI but since 1999 there has been alot of talent wasted and now as we goodbye to the likes of Connelley, Brady, McDonald, Colm Mc, Horan etc. in the last 2/3 years, and we prepare to see the last of Nallen, Heaney, Burke, Ruane and Costello something serious has to be done. We might as well start now:

1. Settle on a first XV for God sake. Pick a midfield that we can persevere with.
2. A bit of enthusiasm amongst the players would go along way. If they don't care, or don't have the passion and interest get rid of them.
3. We have decided that the 25 we have is the best available. Next year we can't be getting rid of another 10 or so and trying out a new batch.
4. Even under Maughan things always seem a bit disorganised - players driving to league matches; no real focus to warm-ups; complete absence of leadership on the pitch. A more professional unified set-up is needed.
5. Don't continue to shoot ourselves in the foot by excluding our better players. David Brady and Kieran McDonald should want to play for their county.

Those are just a few brief points, i'm too pissed off this week to make any sense but at least I have tried to get it off my chest.

Will we beat NY?  At the moment you have to say it could look doubtful.

last
(4/1/04 5:54 pm)
Reply  .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been having mixed felings these last few days about the whole thing.
One part of me is thinking that well we're not that bad, good players haven't just become bad ones etc etc. The thing in Mayo for the vast majority of supporters is that the bottle is either completely full or its completely empty. We're either genuine All-Ireland contenders or else we've at the very bottom of the scrapheap. We can't seem to see it any other way. What would sort of convince me that we suffering nothing more than a dip in form is when you look at the quality of the players and what they have done in the past. Think of Gary Mullins in the Connacht Final last year, think James Nallen form numerous occassions, think the way Gary Ruane has been playing these last few weeks, think Fergal Costello at his best - eating wing forwards for dinner then spitting them out to chew them again. Throw in Pat Kelly and Dermot Geraghty and that to me is a serious backline. In goals we have in my view 2 of the best in the country available in Burke and Ruddy (forget about the Ballina boys i'm afraid). For forwards Austin O'Malley shooting points for fun throughout the league, Trevor Mortimers industry and ability to run at backs with pace with the ball, the impish Conor Mortimer kicking ridiculous points for fun, the electric speed of Damien Munnelly, Marty McNicholas scoring 3-3 from play v Kildare in an NFL game and who is now back to his best and the very intelligent Alan Dillon who gave Sean Og a fierce tough time in last years Connacht Final. Even for midfield, i would be very confident that 3 from Heaney, Gill and McGarritty would be the makings of a decent enough pairing there. So they now have a 4-5 week time frame to get their confidence back, to start gelling as a unit and i'm stilly fairly convinced that it would take a good team to beat them. The single biggest thing i learned in the 2 NFL beatings to Kerry and Tyrone were that we can't play on a windy day to save our lives.

Case for the prosecution:
We have a manager who is too strong a character and seems to have the attitude of "my way or the highway". From his perspective (or so i am told) he is curently manager of Mayo for 2 reasons - the money and his ego. Unfortunately i don't think he can change his spots as it were.
Selectors - George Golden has done nothing in football (well only managed a team to a county junior title 11 years ago) and is in a self made business man and business buddy of Maughans from the time they had the pub together in Westport. Not good enough. Liam McHale - although the best footballer i have ever seen wearing a Mayo jersey, he is just too unorganised to have near a football team at this level.
Team trainer: Martin McGrath - a 2 bit footballer at his best who managed to pick up a few training drills along the way and wouldn't be the best at explaining himself. i wouldn't have him there for his hairdo alone 
Also, i'm afraid to say we don't seem to have enough leaders or players with real bottle ...... woops, have to cut off in mid-sentence .....

Barney
(4/1/04 7:04 pm)
Reply  Last
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last
I read the first paragraph and was feeling better again, then second half has me down in the dumps.

True what you say about Mayo supporters. I don't know where it comes from but they have to be one of the most demanding sets in the country, the job is a poisoned chalice for any man and unless he delivers Sam will face criticism. That is ridiculous considering that we are such a distance from that target at the moment.

Also having the likes of Varley and Kelly involved in the panel are making a joke of the thing. Mobility in Gill, height, distribution and fielding abilities of McGarrity are the perfect combination. We need Heaney at no. 3.

sligoman2
(4/1/04 7:10 pm)
Reply  Try saying 10 of these
Hail mary full of grace the lord is with thee
Blessed art thou ...................

GalwayBayBoy
(4/1/04 7:57 pm)
Reply  Re: Mayo - Blueprint to Respectability
The world's finest architects couldn't draw up a blueprint that would make Mayo respectable.

I realise after Galway's last performance I am leaving myself open to comebacks. I just thought I'd head ye off at the pass.

Paddypastit
(4/1/04 10:15 pm)
Reply  Mayo gone?
It's April 1 guys - I don't buy it!.

NY might be tricky... correction will be - SM2 you might come in here? - but a one point win is all that is needed. Take a week of training after that under the sun on a dry sod away from the hype and suddenly all is good in the world. Home to face into the 'old enemy', no pressure (nobody expects anything) it's 15 against 15 and all that craic and before you know you're in two-chance territory with a Connaught final against Rosc/Sligo/Leitrim. Can't see Mayo lacking confidence in that scenario?

... and we'd be delighted to see ye there, can't think of anyone we'd like to beat more

Owenmoresider
(4/1/04 10:18 pm)
Reply  Re: Mayo gone?
Aye Paddy, but I'd rather Galway after all they have done to us in the past, and that we've only beat them once in 57 years!! Mayo would still be sweet though.

That's all relative to us actually getting to the final........

Paddypastit
(4/1/04 11:11 pm)
Reply  Mayo or Galway
OMS - I guess my past is longer then yours

As you rightly say it's all relative and right now I'd settle for knowing we'd be there and take our chances from then.

magpie seanie 
(4/2/04 8:26 am)
Reply  Re: Mayo or Galway
Last is right in everything he says there. Mayo are from from being in the doldrums. Last year was supposed to be the worst Mayo team in living memory and they tidily disposed of us before losing a fine Connacht final, perhaps unluckily, to Galway. Beat New York this year and the thing gains a momentum of its own. As last said Mayo have enough decent players that it'll take a good team to beat them.

Now wheres the soap to wash my mouth out...

Galwayman
(4/2/04 8:34 am)
Reply  Mayo
I wouldn't be getting too despondent Mayo lads.There's not much between Galway,Mayo,Sligo & Roscommon in Connacht this year at all.Let's face it, none of us have been setting the world alight in the league this year.Each side seems to have problems.We have major problems in defence this year and could be there for the taking in Castlebar.There's no chance ye will lose to New York, it's not gonna happen.When ye have ye're full squad back again ye'll have a good chance of beating us and winning Connacht.Think of this team and I don't think ye'd be far away. Burke,Geraghty,Heaney,Ruane,Costello,Nallen,Mullins,Gill,McGarrity,T Mortimer,O'Malley,?,C Mortimer,?,Munnelly. I've two vacancies left in the forwards there as I believe that the final 2 places are up for grabs by anyone.Moyles may make it at wing forward after his displays for Sligo IT,while O'Malley will probably be named full forward not centre half.I do think ye lack a few players up front though.McDonald would be a huge addition but that's not going to happen.

Matt
(4/2/04 8:56 am)
Reply  Sympathy for the Rossies
Galwayman & Magpie Seanie if I was to list all the current deficiences in the Ross camp would ye two post me some nice comments of reassurace also???

The Beard 
(4/2/04 10:07 am)
Reply  What can turn around Mayo's season?
Mayo are probably not too far off the pace. As Galway consistently say it does'nt matter how good bad or indifferent a Mayo team is they will always rise to the challange against Galway. A win in this fixture and Mayo would be away in hack.
What I saw of Mayo on TG4 a few weeks back, the side looks skillful but alarmingly small. I would expect Mayo to be eaten alive by any decent Ulster oppostion.
Mayo will be there or thereabouts in Connacht but wont be looking beyond 1/4 finals at best. to be honest its hard to see any Connacht oppostion doing a whole lot this year barring some drastic changes in fortune.

mouview
(4/2/04 10:13 am)
Reply  Liam McHale!!!???
To say that he was the best footballer you've ever seen in a Mayo jersey could only have been written on April Fools day! Surely you jest? Did you see his performance on TG4 the other night during the '89 final? First class catching of the ball followed by shocking-to-the-point-of-comical kicking and distribution, one of the reasons for Mayo's loss that day. McHale was never, repeat never, NEVER a footballer.

Barney
(4/2/04 10:23 am)
Reply  McHale
Have to disagree with you there about McHale Mouview. His footpassing may not have been the best. But his fielding was always superb and his vision when in possession and his role as fulcrum of the team were invaluable to Mayo in the late 80s, early 90s. Just look at his role in James Nallens goal against Kerry in 1996 as an example of how crucial a role he could play.

Any team named for Sunday?

last
(4/2/04 10:43 am)
Reply  .
Absolutely no April fool joke there Mouview. McHale was the best footballer i ever saw wearing a Mayo jersey bar none (this would be about from '85 on). You decide to mention '89 and then conveniently forget his Man of the Match performance in the drawn final in '96. How does a man who was "never, NEVER a footballer" get such an award ? No disrespect here but when ever football comes up in bar stool discussions at home and McHale is mentioned - then knowledgeable GAA folk will go along with my line ((and no i'm not just calling them knowledgeable cos they have the same opinion as me  )) and the type of characters who will jump on the bandwagon at All-Ireland semi-final stage and think Willie Joe is still king will argue that he was only ever an embarrassment to the Mayo jersey.

Muscles Magoo
(4/2/04 11:41 am)
Reply  Mouview
To say Liam McHale was 'never a footballer' is without doubt one of the dumbest things I've yet to come across on this board and that's saying something.

The Clarin Pearl 
(4/2/04 11:58 am)
Reply  Footballer
"Foot"baller!! Not in the willie mccreery sense. Wouldn't have sed Mchale was 'never' a footballer but would say that Mchale knocked Mayo football back 20 years.

last
(4/2/04 12:06 pm)
Reply  .

Quote:
but would say that Mchale knocked Mayo football back 20 years

3 of the most prominent Mayo contributors on this board who i think know enough to be able to offer objective opinions on our own footballers say he was the best they saw (or at least sing his praises very highly) while our 2 Galway friends don't rate him at all. Go figure ....
If we want to talk about someone who was never a footballer .... well Kevin Walsh only started making a name for himself once McHale no longer played midfield for Mayo.

KingDub
(4/2/04 12:18 pm)
Reply  McHale
McHale was class. One of the best midfielders I have ever seen.

I reckon he irked a lot of GAA people because he played basketball and always had a nice tan. This may have clouded some peoples opinion of him as a footballer.

GalwayBayBoy
(4/2/04 12:24 pm)
Reply  Re: .

Quote:
well Kevin Walsh only started making a name for himself once McHale no longer played midfield for Mayo

To be fair Kevin Walsh improved with age and he's been a much more accomplished footballer over the past few years than he was in his younger days. very little to do with Liam McHale being around or not. Kevin has held his own and better against superior midfielers to Liam McHale so I hardly think that's what held him back.

I think McHale was definitely a good player but not as good as some Mayo people seem to think. His fielding ability is beyond question but personally I feel his distribution and reading of the game wasn't up to the standard of say Kevin Walsh's and Kevin would be more likely to get you a score or two during open play as well.

McHale's modus operandi was to field the ball (which he was brilliant at) and then use his basketball skills and height to pass the ball with one of those basketball style handpasses/slaps that he often used. He certainly was effective at claiming primary possession which I guess is the main function of a midfielder.

That's my honest opinion of the two of them comparing them when they were at their peaks. Not saying one is better than the other but they did have different strengths. It's difficult to compare them when they played each other as generally during that period Mayo had a far better team than Galway.

Edited by: GalwayBayBoy at: 4/2/04 12:34 pm

Becky Thatcher
(4/2/04 1:18 pm)
Reply  McHale
As a Galweigan I have to say I agree with the Mayo contingent on this one. I thought Liam McHale added a whole lot more to Mayo football than just his fielding ability. He added a little flamboyancy to the outfit that helped them believe they could actually be winners. He had superb vision and throughout his career he rarely lost possession. Most often he just played the simple ten yard pass from the hand. He knew his limitations... not too dissimilar to Roy Keane does at the moment. He also knew possession was nine tenths of the game. Throw in Willie Joe, Maurice Sheridan and McStay to knock them over and they knew they were in with a shout any day. Even in the 99 Final, when the doubters say he was dreadful, he almost set up two goals against Cork but for wayward shooting from Anthony Finnerty.
Ask any Mayo supporter if they could add one player of the bygone era to their current set up and I guarantee McHale would win the pole.
Ask John O Mahony which player he would like to have from the 99 team that played Cork to line out for Galway this year and I bet McHale would be his choice too.

Here's just one article from the Connaught Telegraph in July 1998.
MAJESTIC McHALE MAPS SAFE PASSAGE FOR BALLINA
LIAM MCHALE scripted, directed, produced and took the leading role in yet another Ballina winning performance as they swept aside the challenge of Hollymount to clinch a semi-final meeting with Kiltane in the Howley Distribution Mayo senior football championship.

Showing no ill-effects from his honeymoon, this was the master craftsman at work in his own backyard-James Stephens Park-as he directed operations from the middle of the field, distributing fast ball into open spaces which Ballina's pacey attack thrived on while he also linked well with Ballina's impressive half-back unit..

Page 1 2 3 
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Page 2

Author  Comment 
mouview
(4/2/04 4:16 pm)
Reply  McHale
Yes, but surely 'best footballer' by definition means skilled in most / all facets of the game, not just fielding. Ok big Kevin may not have been as prominent when McHale was playing, (he was just starting out then anyway), but he was and is light years ahead of McHale in the rudiments of the game, catching, kicking (scores), vision, ball retention, passing (in particular). McHale never seemed to me to be anything more than a 'made' player. Just off the top of my head, Peter Ford, James Nallen, Noel Connolly, Ken Mortimer etc. were all better players than the bould Liam.

last
(4/2/04 4:22 pm)
Reply  .
Walsh was playing for Galway for a good few years and came up against McHale a good few times in championship before the big man was moved from midfield. McHale was always able to win their midfield battles with ease.
Roy Keane is recognised by man as the best Irish player of a generation - there are many attributes of his game that would't feature in the top 10 if there was a table for individual attributes but his nett effect was greater than any other Irish player i have ever seen. Ditto for Liam McHale
QED

GalwayBayBoy
(4/2/04 6:02 pm)
Reply  Re: .

Quote:
Walsh was playing for Galway for a good few years and came up against McHale a good few times in championship before the big man was moved from midfield. McHale was always able to win their midfield battles with ease.

It's a moot point really as during McHale's pomp, Galway were generally in the doldrums and Mayo had their best team in donkey's years.

Personally I believe Walsh only fully came to fruition as a footballing force in his mid to late 20's. Up to then he was undoubtably talented but a bit inconsistent.

When McHale and Walsh were opponents, McHale was in his prime but I think Kevin Walsh had yet to reach his. Not to mention McHale's Mayo were the superior outfit at the time.

Both great midfielders IMHO.

Edited by: GalwayBayBoy at: 4/2/04 6:09 pm

Matt
(4/2/04 9:14 pm)
Reply  McHale v Walsh
Impossible to call this one as they were both completely different types of midfielders. McHale was much more mobile and got off the ground alot more and higher. Kevin is stronger physically and much more intelligent and economical with his runs. One area of similarity was their superb ball handling and calmness in posession. I credit their basketball experience for this (far as I know Kev played a fair bit of it in his younger days). They never met when both were in their prime at the same time but they unfortunately they both heaped misery on us poor Rossies down through the years. Lets hope we'll be mentioning Sheamie O'Neill in the same breath as them in 10 years time!

GalwayBayBoy
(4/2/04 9:49 pm)
Reply  Re: McHale v Walsh
Wise words Matt.

You just might have prevented World War 3.

Owenmoresider
(4/2/04 11:21 pm)
Reply  Re: McHale v Walsh
Been reading the McHale v Walsh debate with interest, and I've come to the following conclusion:

Neither of them were fit to lace Paul Durcan's boots....

Mike
(4/3/04 7:01 pm)
Reply  McHale
If my memory serves me, he dominated the 99 AI club final for Ballina against Crossmaglen, but unfortunately for him still ended up on the losing side (they couldn't score).

Edited by: Mike at: 4/3/04 7:03 pm

lantosach
(4/3/04 7:09 pm)
Reply  Re: McHale

Quote:
It's a moot point really as during McHale's pomp, Galway were generally in the doldrums and Mayo had their best team in donkey's years.

Walsh will always still be remenbered for coming off second best to McHale- that's the way it always was.

GalwayBayBoy
(4/3/04 8:10 pm)
Reply  Re: McHale

Quote:
Walsh will always still be remenbered for coming off second best to McHale- that's the way it always was.

I'm sure Kevin's All-Ireland medals will provide some small comfort for him in that case.

Barney
(4/4/04 9:21 am)
Reply  Of course
Of course Walsh's medals will bring him comfort when he retires. As well as being a top midfielder pivotal to a winning team, he was also blessed that when he won the ball and got it to the forwards they could score.

The one thing that must be said about McHale, and it may be indicative of the talent in Mayo at present, but last year he came out of retirement for Ballina and was the best player in the county championship and probably the reason that they won. It would have been brilliant to see them go on and do something special because I don't think anyone would argue that the man would deserve an AI medal.

lantosach
(4/4/04 12:55 pm)

Quote:
I'm sure Kevin's All-Ireland medals will provide some small comfort for him in that case.

I'm not the one who used Galway having a bad team as the reason Walsh was repeatably beaten in an individual battle with Liam McHale. I'm not a Mayo fan and definitely not a McHale fan but facts is facts.

Quote:
When McHale and Walsh were opponents, McHale was in his prime but I think Kevin Walsh had yet to reach his. Not to mention McHale's Mayo were the superior outfit at the time.

GalwayBayBoy
(4/4/04 2:19 pm)

Quote:
I don't think anyone would argue that the man would deserve an AI medal.

He definitely did deserve one.

Quote:
'm not the one who used Galway having a bad team as the reason Walsh was repeatably beaten in an individual battle with Liam McHale. I'm not a Mayo fan and definitely not a McHale fan but facts is facts.

My point was that it's harder to look good in a team which was consistently inferior to Mayo's during McHale's pomp. In those days Galway were a beaten docket all over the pitch and as I stated previously I think Kevin is a superior player these past few years to the one who was around in the early and mid 90's.

lantosach
(4/4/04 8:08 pm)
there's about a 3 or 4 year age gap between McHale and Walsh. and for years McHale could jump higher, run faster and pull more strings than Walsh. You can hardly blame the players around walsh for the fact that McHale was a more dominant footballer and all round Athlete.

don't forget either that walsh was a big basketball prospect for alot of years and never achieve anything of the heights of Liam McHale.

I will say though that of course walsh deserved his All-Irelands and certainly his All-Stars. He would also lose and find McHale in his graciousness in defeat.

GalwayBayBoy
(4/4/04 8:42 pm)

Quote:
there's about a 3 or 4 year age gap between McHale and Walsh. and for years McHale could jump higher, run faster and pull more strings than Walsh. You can hardly blame the players around walsh for the fact that McHale was a more dominant footballer and all round Athlete.

I understand what you're saying but my point was that McHale's playing peak was in the mid-90's. Kevin Walsh's has probably been the past few years (last year was arguably Kevin's best in a Galway shirt). The age difference is immaterial as I was comparing them when they were both playing their best stuff and there's roughly 6 or 7 years difference between their respective playing peaks.

As for all the run faster, jump higher stuff. Personally I feel that at their peaks McHale was a better fielder and probably more mobile. Walsh IMHO has better distribution and was generally more likely to get you a score or two.

As for the basketball. Who really cares? It's a completly different sport.

heganboy
(4/4/04 10:54 pm)
Reply  Mayo vs New York
Just watched a boston team with 15 men travelling draw with the NY team in NY. On this showing I wouldn't think that Mayo need to be quaking in their boots. If you had chosen a team to represent the US you would have to say that Boston played the better football over the game and then finished stronger too.
www.ballyhegan.com

last
(4/5/04 7:59 am)
Reply  .
Heganboy, you weren't in Mullingar yesterday ! Believe me, there is a genuine fear among Mayo supporters that we could be in for an embarrassing time in New York. Ironically, a few years back we rackoned we had a team good enough from No's 1 to 9 to beat anybody, now its 1 to 9 that are the problems while the rest look good enough

Muscles Magoo
(4/5/04 8:18 am)
Reply  .
Last - any chance of a brief summary from yesterday? Have we taken a few steps backwards again from the Tralee debacle?

Barney
(4/5/04 8:57 am)
Reply  Muscles
Muscles
I was there. We are a shambles and an embarassment and I am not joking when I say that we may be better off pulling out of the championship. God help us if for some strange reason we manage to get to play the likes of Tyrone, Armagh or Kerry in Croke Park during the Summer.

Just a few points:

1. We have three good GK available to us. Healy is not up to the job. He is overweight and slow and hesitant, although some shot stopping is good. His kickouts are poor. Burke or Ruddy must get the job.

2. At the end of the league we haven't a clue of our first XV - we don't know our no.3, 6, 8 or 9 or 11. That is a serious problem. Pat Kelly is not solid enough for full-back. Heaney is the only man available to us. Although Kelly is good enough for one of the wing positions.

3. Declan Sweeney is too slow and awkward for intercounty football. He is definitely not a centre-half back. Ditto Fergal Kelly. An embarassment that should end now.

4. Fergal Costello was the only one showing a bit of spirit yesterday in the backs.

5. Nallen got a roasting (not in the Newcastle Utd sense!). Why when he was one of the best no.6 in the country is he moved around so much. Midfield, wing back, full back, centre half forward. Give us a break. Must be no. 6 for the Championship.

6. The corner-backs were poor yesterday. No bite about them. They are small, but Ruane is tenacious. But a poor midfield means the ball will be bombing in on them and they have little chance.

7. Midfield is abysmal. Heaney did ok yesterday but there was no one to field a ball. McGarrity and Gill look to be our only options. But why was the best midfielder in the county sitting in the stand. If David Brady was interested enough to travel to Mullingar I'm sure he'd love to wear the jersey again. IF Gill can waltz straight back in another exception should be made.

8. Then up front. O'Malley didn't play too well but still scored 1-3. He is a genuine find but needs to get rid of the ball and quit the fancy-dan solo runs into corners. With Mortimer and McNicholas alongside him we will be quite ok. Good to see Conor Mortimer back, only a great save from the goalie denied him a save. Moyles worked hard in the first half and played well. Hopefully Championship time will see him play at his best. Pat Harte worked hard and showed well when he came on. May be the right man for no. 11. Will sweep up ball and if he distributes quicker is worth a shot. Trevor Mortimer is travelling to and fro from Leeds so bad form is understandable but confidence is low and he needs a shot in the arm before June. Andy Moran has had enough chances and its time to ship him.

9. Brian Ruane played four matches at Mfield early on. Now seems to be dropped from the panel. He still was an option in the backs. The same happened last year, and even as far back as 97. This maltreatment of players is one of our biggest problems.

10. At this stage except for some miracle it looks like Maughan is a dead man walking.

11. The only team that will give us any glimmer of hope of respectability in the summer is

Burke
Geraghty
Heaney
Ruane
Costello
Nallen
Mullins
McGarrity
Brady
Gill
Harte
T Mortimer
C Mortimer
O'Malley
McNicholas

12. There is a chance we may lose in NY. Although forewarned we may put in a good performance but God knows if we are to play Galway we need that extra 8 weeks.

13. Is Mayo football dying on its feet. I think so. Things are so bad that people will stop caring and once that happens things will continue to go downhill. I didn't think it possible but we are actually getting worse.

14.  f**k Michael Martin

Muscles Magoo
(4/5/04 9:14 am)
Reply  .
Sounds awful, though having witnessed the Tyrone & Kerry disasters I can't say that I'm all that surprised.
We are simply not good enough. Fact. Agree with Barney in saying that Maughan is finished - he has lost all credibility at this stage and it's going to take an unprecedented turnaround in fortunes for that to change.

Barney
(4/5/04 10:30 am)
Reply  Just a few more points
1. Short passing is killing is. 5 or 6 points a game from careless possession being given away by 4 or 5 passes in the backs. Let someone stand up and take responsibility. We need leaders.

2. How have players that were good enough to challenge at minor and u-21 level (including against the likes of Tyrone) failed so miserably at this level. Is it that too many matches are being won on high stools?

3. Where are the Crossmolina players that have consistently shown their worth at senior club level - surely they have been given a rough ride by the current management. Knockmore have only one rep yet consistently do well in the county championship. It just doesn't add up.

4. There is no need for a turnaround of 10/11 players each year. We must have tried over 40 players in this years league. There is no consistency at all.

5. I need some valium. This is really pissing me off at this stage. You're there in the stand and you'd just love to get out and gee up some of the players, ask them where is their pride. If they are willing to put in the hard work required they should be prepared to die for the cause on that pitch. Stand up and be counted, don't lie down and wait for the inevitable. 

Farrandeelin

Page 3

Author  Comment 
last
(4/5/04 12:16 pm)
Reply  .
Have to agree with pretty much everything that has been said. A couple of things though - Mayo people will never stop caring. It just goes too deep to not be bothered about how the county team does.
The most pertinenet points you raise i reckon are how we still have no real idea who our No's 3, 6, 8, 9 & 11 will be ((and you just wouldn't be surprised to seem O'Malley out on the wing as well)) and even more importantly how players who were competing for National honours at underage level haven't developed. I think the latter point is by far the more important in the longterm and the ultimate cause of that i feel is the management team. What we are missing most is leaders on the pitch but the personality and character and complete dictatorial role of Maughan has i feel prevented guys from developing those leadership traits. Back in the mid-90's when he first took charge, there was a sufficient group of hardened players with the leadership skills already there (Flanagan, Holmes, McHale, Dempsey etc) to ensure that this issue was never a factor. Unfortunately i feel a lot of the current younger players who have played and "suffered" under the Maughan regime won't be able to make up that lost ground if a right man takes charge.
Anyway, despite all the negativity, i still believe that if we can any sort of platform in the middle of the park that it will take a good team to beat us.

On nother note - Breaffy, who scored 1-21 in the Connacht club final last weekend and who i was sure would go all the way and win the All-Ireland junior club were absolutely hammered in the semi at the weekend by a club from Cork - 3-14 to 0-7. Couldn't believe this. If Breaffy played a full strength Crossmolina i would expect them to give them a game of it. That was just a shocking result.

Hound
(4/5/04 12:38 pm)
Reply  reality check
Get a grip lads. Any team who beats the Dubs by 10 points must have something, surely 

The only teams definitely better than you are Tyrone and Kerry. Maybe add Armagh to that list. Is there anyone else you'd be genuinely scared of playing in the championship? There's not too many fans going around saying everything is rosy in their county and we're looking good for a serious challenge for Sam.

Muscles Magoo
(4/5/04 1:58 pm)
Reply  Hound
"Is there anyone else you'd be genuinely scared of playing in the championship?"

In a word, yes.

In fact we will be one of the teams that counties are looking to get drawn against in the qualifiers. We have to be one of the most eminently 'beatable' teams in the country at the moment.

Barney
(4/5/04 2:18 pm)
Reply  And
And there is no huge secret to beating us - two good fielders in midfield and we are fucked, pressurise the backs and we'll give away cheap possession, push the forwards out to the corners and we can't score. Currently we are ranking in the bottom 7/8 teams in the country.

CS Active
(4/5/04 2:28 pm)
Reply  Mayo
Spot on there Barney. Would you agree that's what Westmeath did yesterday and it worked a treat? Apart from the two silly goals in the first half, i don't think Westmeath's defence performed too badly. I thought Billy Joe played well for ye in the first half but was by-passed in the second - the gale didn't help him i guess. I was disappointed with Nallen - the end is nigh perhaps. Harte made a terrible mistake by not covering Healy for our second last point at a crucial stage of the game.

last
(4/5/04 2:47 pm)
Reply  .
CSActive, i wouldn't be getting too excited as a Westmeath supporter on the basis of yesterday. Ffs we scored 2-10 with our forwards seeing as little ball as i have seen in a long time and kicked 2 or 3 bad wides at the start of the second half that could have brought us right back in contention. Your defending for the 2 Mayo goals was so bad it was funny - particularly where you let Fergal Costello solo forward at half pace for 70 yards.
And despite all the negativity from the Mayo boys, taking yesterday alone with either Ruddy or Burke in goals kicking 80-90 yard rockets with the wind and being able to miss Westmeaths midfielders then i think it would have been a different game altogether

GalwayBayBoy
(4/5/04 2:55 pm)
Reply  Re: Mayo
On a lighter note for Mayo it's not like any Connacht team is looking particularly great at the moment.

Galway have only played in fits and starts and while they may have made the league semi-finals they could easily have been relegated on Sunday had the bounce of the ball gone against them.

Roscommon have mixed the good with the bad.

Sligo look the best at the moment but they've hardly been pulling up trees either.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Mayo could be Connacht champions this year yet.

Owenmoresider
(4/5/04 2:56 pm)
Reply  Re: Mayo
Don't worry, I'm sure ye poor Mayo wans will have something to cheer about soon........

CS Active
(4/5/04 3:08 pm)
Reply  ..
Last, I'm certainly not saying we're the finished article...far from it. However, if you had seen our lads before yesterday's performance you would understand my relative joy.

Pluses for Westmeath - Dessie is still a legend, Gary Dolan's performance at midfield, Conway's return at centre-forward, Healy will hopefully grow into the centre-back position. Negatives - terrible defending for the two goals, Glennon's lack of tracking back, no cover for the backline

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Hardy on February 25, 2010, 03:30:40 PM
Turk's poem
(from about 2001, I think)

Once a man with a wooden leg
up an alley after a match
with the taunts and foul words ringing in his ears ;
said he 'i may die here tonight
and in many moons to come they would find my remains.
A great find to rank for all time with
the mastodons, the mausoleum and the hidden tribes.'

And after he passed about his business.
He walked away amid the abuse of lessers.
Yet all that was found - a half eaten snack box, a furry hat and some vomit .
I remember that one.
Turk started out by enquiring about GAA players with wooden legs.
The late SaffronBlue gave him a lecture about medical science and common sense.
And the above poem was the end result.

He wrote a few other GAA related ones, with mentions of lads roaring for drink before matches and slipping on puke in the jacks afterwards.

Bord na Mona man

Remember when seafoid used to come with these ones every other week.
You'd end with with a dozen forwards of them in your email inbox within the week.  ;D

--

GAA Phrases

· Holly - eg "I gave it holly" - I put a fair bit of effort into it

· Bollix - Pat Spillane or any Meath players or supporters

· Mighty - very good

· Hames - a right ****e - eg. "he made a hames of that clearance"

· Timber - intimidation of a hurling opponent - eg. "show him some
timber"!

· Lamp - a good thump - eg. "I swung for the sliotar, missed by 3 feet
and lamped their fullback"

· A Crowd - A gathering of people that watch a match and hope for
random acts of violence eg. "that crowd from Meath are a right shower
of ****es"

· Schkelp - To remove living tissue in the absence of surgical
procedures eg-"That ****e from Tipp took a schkelp out of my leg"

· Hatchet Man - Mountainy type, uses hunter/gatherer instincts.

· Bullin' - angry - eg "the centre half back was bullin' after I lamped
him"

· Bull thick - very angry - eg "the centre half back was bull thick
when I lamped him again"

· Joult - a push - eg "I gave him a joult and he has to wear a neck
brace for two weeks"

· The Comm-a-teeee - Local GAA bull****ters in general

· Bushted - an undefined soreness eg. "Jayz me arm is bushted"

· The Bomber - a very popular nickname for a fat, hairy GAA player

· A hang sangwidge - consumed with tay on the sides of roads after
matches in Croker or Thurles, usually contains half a pound of butter.
(or as they say in Tipperary – sam midge)

· Rake - A great amount of anything, usually pints of Guinness the
night before an important match

· Namajaysus - What was that for, referee?

· Ya-bollix-ya - Corner back's formal recognition of a score by his
opponent

· Leh-it-in-ta-f***-would-ya - Full forward's appeal to a midfielder
for a more timely delivery of the pass

· Mullocker - untidy or awkward player released for matches.

· Burst the Bollix - Instruction to tackle your player.

· Row - Disagreement involving four or more players

· Massive Row - Disagreement involving both teams, including goalies,
substitutes and supporters jumping fences

· Running Row - A massive row that continues out in the parking area
and or dressing room areas usually resolved by the Gardai.

seafoid

How do you view the posts, BnM? Have you diversified away totally from turf now ? 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Uladh

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2010, 08:43:44 PM
How do you view the posts, BnM? Have you diversified away totally from turf now ?
I don't think any of those posts are archived.
The nostalgia is looking at the main page though, the posts themselves might be a let down.

It's all green energy these days!

turk

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 25, 2010, 08:25:53 PM
Quote from: Hardy on February 25, 2010, 03:30:40 PM
Turk's poem
(from about 2001, I think)

Once a man with a wooden leg
up an alley after a match
with the taunts and foul words ringing in his ears ;
said he 'i may die here tonight
and in many moons to come they would find my remains.
A great find to rank for all time with
the mastodons, the mausoleum and the hidden tribes.'

And after he passed about his business.
He walked away amid the abuse of lessers.
Yet all that was found - a half eaten snack box, a furry hat and some vomit .
I remember that one.
Turk started out by enquiring about GAA players with wooden legs.
The late SaffronBlue gave him a lecture about medical science and common sense.
And the above poem was the end result.

He wrote a few other GAA related ones, with mentions of lads roaring for drink before matches and slipping on puke in the jacks afterwards.

Ha ha ha!! Good crack!

Hardy

Lar Naparka
(11/8/06 23:58)

How about one more song?

With the wind at me back and the ball at me feet
I have only the poor oul' goalie to beat.
So I takes a step forward, takes aim and lets fly
And the ball by the posts goes sailing on by.

Ten wides in ten minutes, we're famous you know.
We're wide-shooting forwards and the pride of Mayo.
We do things without thinking where others would frown
To keep our wides up and keep our scores down.

But since Johnno amd Mickey have both come our way
They've explained some things to us, now there'e sure hell to pay.
"At what are yiz messin', ye big shower of thicks?
You're supposed to put it between the oul' sticks!

"Not left nor not right but over the bar
And keep right on doing that from near and from far.
And, once in a while to change things a wee bit,
Would yiz ever consider the ball in the net?"

Oh, holy cow, we had things all wrong,
No wonder we're famous in story and song?
Think of the stories told on every side
How we'd hoof our way through and then blaze the ball wide.

From this day forward things sure gonna change
As all parts of Croke Park comes into our range.
So we had it all arseways, we're only human you know.
Now we're sharp-shooting forwards and the pride of Mayo.

We'll pity poor Laois, they'll have nowhere to hide
We have learned the difference between a score and a wide.
Cork, Kerry or Dublin? We don't give a damn.
Our eyes on the posts and we're hell-bent for Sam!

Puckoon

QuoteTen wides in ten minutes, we're famous you know.
We're wide-shooting forwards and the pride of Mayo.
We do things without thinking where others would frown
To keep our wides up and keep our scores down.

Jesus thats priceless right there. Brilliant stuff.

Billys Boots

Anyone got a copy of Shane's long-running saga on the All-Ireland Tractor-Reversing Championship?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ludermor