Dogs and House Rules

Started by BennyCake, February 07, 2017, 02:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: TabClear on February 09, 2017, 03:15:56 AM
This is very simple from my perspective. If you don't want a pet don't get one. If you do get one train it and look after it. And I don't mean train it to meet somebody else's opinion of what a pet should do. Train it so it works for the environment its in. If that's a working dog who lives outside or a house dog who lies at the door whatever.

I have a house dog who stays outside during the day and comes inside of we're home  and the bottom line is he makes  me, the missus and the kids happier. After a bad day at work having  the dog lying beside you on the sofa helps you chill out.

If people have a problem with that then don't call over. I have friends who don't like dogs and that's fine.  The dog goes outside and that's okay but don't tell me where my dog should be otherwise.

I'm the same, the dog stays outside during the day and comes in when we're at home.

johnneycool

My wife in her infinite wisdom decided she wanted a cat as we'd got a few mice in the house (I'd left the door open, it was to stay in the garage, so off we headed to Assisi the animal sanctuary between Ards and Bangor. We'd a 4 page questionnaire to complete, where the cat was to be housed, family vet, pet insurance details and all that shite, but the straw that broke the camels back was who'd be at home to attend to the cat whilst we were both at work.
I was about to say to the well intentioned girl, "its a fuckin cat, they love being outside doing their thing". I thanked the young girl for her help and jumped back in the car.
I'd say adopting a child is easier..

BennyCake

Quote from: No wides on February 09, 2017, 07:20:12 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 07, 2017, 07:20:05 PM
I have cats. They use a fairly deep litterbox and are good at burying their waste, and they mostly only do it at night because they know I'm going to clean it out in the morning. I've a short-haired tuxedo who doesn't shed much. Chatty, friendly little yoke. I have a pair of Himalayans. They're a bit shy, longer haired, shed quite a bit in summer and I have to clean the carpets every couple of days to stay on top of it, so in a way it forces me to keep the place clean. The tuxedo goes out for a few minutes once or twice a week but the other two don't have much interest.  They're good company and no bother.

So cats can shit all over your house but kids are spoilt little b**tards for playing with their own toys in their own house!!!!

Looks that way!

BennyCake

Quote from: johnneycool on February 09, 2017, 10:39:29 AM
My wife in her infinite wisdom decided she wanted a cat as we'd got a few mice in the house (I'd left the door open, it was to stay in the garage, so off we headed to Assisi the animal sanctuary between Ards and Bangor. We'd a 4 page questionnaire to complete, where the cat was to be housed, family vet, pet insurance details and all that shite, but the straw that broke the camels back was who'd be at home to attend to the cat whilst we were both at work.
I was about to say to the well intentioned girl, "its a fuckin cat, they love being outside doing their thing". I thanked the young girl for her help and jumped back in the car.
I'd say adopting a child is easier..

That's mental.

I've seen it more where people call to the house to drop something off or whatever. I'd ask them if they're dropping in for a mug of tae or whatever. Nah I can't, I got the dog in the car is usually the answer. Some have a dental appt and arrange a minder days in advance for the mutt. Others rush home to pick up the dog from granny or auntie Mary. The stuff you should hear when people have kids, but now dogs seem to have replaced kids.

Donagh

Rented a house to two clowns who had a cat without permission. Only did one inspection after 6 months which they did well to mask signs of the cat. When they were moving out total damage from 'Basil' amounted to:

• 1 leather sofa scratched threadbare with balls of cat hair ingrained everywhere. Had to be thrown out
  • downstairs carpet covered in large discoloured piss stains which couldn't be removed. Had to be replaced
  • 3 sets of (faux) silk curtains with blackout lining had holes plucked in them, presumably from the thing climbing
  • 3 sets net curtains had holes plucked in them. Thrown out
  • upstairs carpet covered cat hair and smaller piss stains which couldn't be removed. Industrial carpet washer required
  • antique doors, landing balustrades (120 years+) which I had spent weeks stripping, restoring and waxing, scratched to fk. Had to be sanded and rewaxed
  • cat piss stains on polished slate hearth. Couldn't be fixed
  • bed frames caked in cat hair. Mattresses had to be dumped
  • back garden and yard covered in cat litter. Had to be power hosed for for nearly a day. Who knew cat litter was so hard to remove?
  • kitchen kick-boards had been removed and had cat sh*t underneath along with tonnes of Christmas baubles the thing had been playing with. Serious clean and disinfect
  • kitchen table legs and chairs scratched away to fk
  • sitting room rugs and hallway runners had the binding scratched out so they began to fray and untangle badly. Stank with piss and hair. Thrown out
  • smell in the whole house was putrid. Had to repaint all walls downstairs and most of upstairs

All from one little f**ker of a cat. One of the occupants runs his own (quite reputable) craft food business, so you'd think he was up to 'scratch' on animals and hygiene. Sold the house shortly after. Heartbreaking having to deal with that shite.     

lurganblue

I have a relative who has a cat.  When i go and visit all you can notice is cat hair rubbed all over the sides of the living room chairs.  The thing is constantly bringing home dead birds etc.  Also, I've noticed it up round the sink licking taps etc.  Needless to say i turn down a wee cup of coffee when offered.

BennyCake

Quote from: lurganblue on February 09, 2017, 12:28:34 PM
I have a relative who has a cat.  When i go and visit all you can notice is cat hair rubbed all over the sides of the living room chairs.  The thing is constantly bringing home dead birds etc.  Also, I've noticed it up round the sink licking taps etc.  Needless to say i turn down a wee cup of coffee when offered.

Ah Jaysus. That's disgusting. Some people really do live like er, animals.

snoopdog

I used to work with a lad who put his dog in doggy creche whil he was in work. Wtf is that about.