Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

It's just 2 or 3 years ;D

Joke. Should be a month or two. Best way to start is keep it mostly aerobic. (I would say no harm in the odd parkrun or whatever but not much chance of that for a while).

JimStynes

Any patella tendinitis sufferers here? Haven't been able to run in a few weeks now with it. Went out for a very gentle run this morning and had to stop after 200m due to the pain. I'll get booked into my physio went he is back up and running but any suggestions of rehab in the meantime?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on May 30, 2020, 01:01:11 PM
Any patella tendinitis sufferers here? Haven't been able to run in a few weeks now with it. Went out for a very gentle run this morning and had to stop after 200m due to the pain. I'll get booked into my physio went he is back up and running but any suggestions of rehab in the meantime?

Not nice! 

ballinaman is the man for that! Talked me through a injury similar a good while back.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on May 26, 2020, 10:04:34 PM
Sorry for long post.

I've just started running again. I'm 38 and i have never been fit in my adult life. I havent really trained properly since minor football, mid 20s made an attempt to comeback but lasted about 3/4 months and again at about 30 trained with some county players i knew for 6 weeks before my hamstring went.(did too much too soon) Over the years id have played a few junior games most years or 5 a side football but never consistently trained.

As a result of covid i no longer commute and can work from home for the next 5 months at least which is 3hrs a day i get back. I am running 3km 3 times a week for the last 4/5 weeks and moving to 4 times a week now. I started at 119kgs and im down to 109kgs which is making the running a little easier. Ideally i like to get down to 90/95 kgs..im 6"3.

My legs are hurting, calves, hamstrings, groin everything apart from quads.. i was thinking of powering through but not sure if this is the best option or what should i do? I have reduced my 3km time from 19.5 minutes to 17 minutes, this and the weight loss is encouraging me to keep going.

if anyone has any advise at all it would be more than welcomed...especially around injury prevention from overdoing it or am i best trying to run longer distance rather than faster 3kms..  thanks
Fair play on all that

First issue is weight. You need to keep going. I'd advise doing some cross training with another sport to avoid injury e.g. cycling, or home gym workout.

I'd concentrate on slowly adding time to your runs, not speed. Going for speed you are inviting injury
Each time you go out, add eg 1/2 minute to the total for maybe 3/4 runs, then scale it back for a week. Get your total run time up to a target over e.g. 5/6 weeks. 3 runs a week is enough, if you add in something else to break it up.
By running slower, you can focus on technique, your breathing, you'll have time to think about stuff.

Once you have more time in the legs/lungs you can worry about distance and speed.
You need a decent mobilisation before running as it's hard on the joints and give yourself the luxury of actually stretching after your run or that day. Long stretches or even look up yoga for athletes

manfromdelmonte

Can often be due to very tight muscles up the leg, IT band or quad. Also poor mobility in the hip.
You might need an MRI and consultant

Go stand in a lake or cold water for 20 mins
Single leg hip exercises can help if you've no pain  - single leg squats, split squats, single leg deadlifts, side lunges

GetOverTheBar

Try looking at the inner thigh just above the knee, it can be a pressure point which needs relief. Also you might get a bit of joy with the soft outer part of your shin combined with the calf muscles as a whole. You have pressure built up you need to release. My bet will be the two inner thigh muscle (vastus medialis for google purposes). It's not pleasant but if your tender to foam roll or self massage that's usually the indicator you need to do it. Body areas like this I prefer the massage gun as you can keep an extended pressure on it and total working, it's a bit tough to get into foam rolling there for the extent you might well need to.

imtommygunn

First race back down south last night I see. It was a pop up race 5k with about 40 people doing it. (Not even sure where it was tbh)

I saw today too that there is a race scheduled for July up north at the down royal race course in July. (Bloody hard course).

Good to see something coming back. I can't see parkrun coming back for a while as too much overheads for what is voluntary but maybe some of these events companies will deserve their money now too.

Milltown Row2

Anyone out running lately? With lockdown it was sporadic no consistency but being back at work this week the normal routine has allowed me to run more!?

Wouldn't mind getting ready for a few races should they start going again and really barring the start they should be in with a shout if other sports are getting dates
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I've ran more than I have in years and enjoying it. Wouldn't mind a crack at a parkrun or race.

imtommygunn

New Irish record for mageean - sub 2 in the 800. This is massive for her. My opinion has always been that if she wants to be competitive at the very top she needs to be running sub 2. Now she has. Great to see.

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2020, 08:56:22 PM
New Irish record for mageean - sub 2 in the 800. This is massive for her. My opinion has always been that if she wants to be competitive at the very top she needs to be running sub 2. Now she has. Great to see.
I was happy with my 3min 800 repeats the other day...sub 2 christ!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Just saw the video too. Cruising.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Fantastic

magpie seanie

That's great to hear. That's amazing running.

marty34

Fantastic run by Ciara - really setting a high standard.  Very consistent.