The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Keith Earls has 17 tries against Canada/Fiji/Russia/Romania/Japan/Italy.

You can only play what is in front of you of course, but it's fair to say he's a bit of a stat padder against the weaker tiers.

He had great potential - going on the 2009 Lions tour was an example of that but as an International Rugby finisher, he wouldn't get into most of the Tier 1 squads, let alone teams these days.

He's escaped criticism over the years for being 'steady'. He is a good player...we are similar to Wales I suppose, is he near George North or Josh Adams? Light years away for me and the new kid on the block Rees-Zammit looks the real deal too (with time to tell).

sid waddell

Simon Geoghegan is still easily the best winger Ireland have had in my time watching and the only genuine world class one

Hickie and Horgan next best

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on February 26, 2021, 12:40:35 PM
Simon Geoghegan is still easily the best winger Ireland have had in my time watching and the only genuine world class one

And what an accent too!

P.S. I loved him too, he was brilliant on a shíte Irish team

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: johnnycool on February 26, 2021, 02:04:22 PM

And what an accent too!

Imagine he was 10 years later. The goys might have won a WC knockout game

dublin7

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 26, 2021, 02:38:51 PM

And what an accent too!

Indeed. The Irish football team wouldn't embarrass themselves or the fans with their performances in the Euros

sid waddell

Quote from: dublin7 on February 26, 2021, 02:50:30 PM

And what an accent too!

Indeed. The Irish football team wouldn't embarrass themselves or the fans with their performances in the Euros
The Ireland soccer team have won the same amount of knockout matches at major finals as the rugby team

tonto1888

Quote from: sid waddell on February 26, 2021, 05:38:49 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on February 26, 2021, 02:50:30 PM

And what an accent too!

The Ireland soccer team have won the same amount of knockout matches at major finals as the rugby team

That number being?

Estimator

How could the TMO not award that try to Henderson?
Ulster League Champions 2009

sid waddell

Maybe the referee did a Paul Carberry and thought the try line was the half way line

screenexile

I know it's only Italy but those are 2 very well worked tries! A bit of invention and not just smashing over the line from 5m out.

Estimator

Earls gets his annual try against Italy!!
Ulster League Champions 2009

Milltown Row2

Earls obviously reading the GAA board today!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Helix.

Win is a win Italy are woeful. You'd wonder would Georgia put up a better fight in Six Nations.

seafoid

Quote from: Helix. on February 27, 2021, 04:16:35 PM
Win is a win Italy are woeful. You'd wonder would Georgia put up a better fight in Six Nations.
It's very like the Leinster hurling.  The gap between Kk, Galway, Dublin , Wexford and Laois/Westmeath etc is very wide. Hurling chose promotion and relegation. Rugby didn't.

Italty was much stronger in 2007 as well but didn't kick on

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Capt Pat

I see the refs are helping Wales out again today. It might not be enough, England are fighting back.