2022 National Football League

Started by The PRO, January 26, 2022, 10:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof86

It should realistically have been the start of new beginning under Sheehan . Instead we are back at square one with basically the same players.
If we are getting relegated with  9/10 new lads involved for the first time I could understand that . Unfortunately this is bleak and  whether or not we stay up doesn't matter a whole lot at this stage .

Giovanni

I don't understand this at all.

So the advice we're giving the management team is to pick younger lads (even if they're not as good as the older ones). We understand that this would increase the likelihood of relegation but that would be OK by us because our approach would give young lads plenty of experience of being hammered by Division 3 teams? Is that essentially it?

Personally, I think they've brought in as many new lads as could reasonably be expected. The goalkeeper and full back line are essentially new. The average age of the six starting forwards can't be more than 25 or 26 at most. The only older lads from the team that was listed to start were JOL and Kieran Lillis. Surely we need a couple of experienced lads too?

County Man

Obviously it was disappointing to lose on Saturday night but we need to acknowledge a few things:

Limerick have greatly improved in the last few years. They have a settled management team, have some really good footballers, have a bit of pace and a good system. They kicked some really good scores from play and their full forward was the biggest man on the field. They look set for promotion to division 2 next week. Last year in the division 3 promotion playoff, they ran Derry to 4 points and look how well Derry are doing this year! In 2020, they took Tipperary to extra time in Munster semi final and Tipperary became Munster champions after.

For us, I thought we were playing some really good stuff in the first 20 minutes going 5-3 up. Then 2 of our defenders got injured, Kavanagh and Bennett. I thought Dylan Kavanagh was sublime in the early stages before picking up the hamstring injury. Sean O'Flynn is settling well into the midfield role and kicked a good score. Limerick got a run on us before half time, the injuries disrupted us.

We settled again in the 2nd half and kicked the first 5 scores. We kicked some good diagonal balls into the full forward line which reaped dividends . Evan O'Carroll and Gary Walsh worked hard. Timmons was excellent on his return.

We were unlucky not to get the draw with 3 late chances dropping wide. We are a work in progress, it is year 1 of a 3 year plan for Billy Sheehan. I believe we have potential to improve in the coming years. This year we have Dylan Kavanagh in, James Kelly back in, Bennett in, Sean O'Flynn and Mark Barry are young (kicked a brilliant score late on in the match). Evan O'Carroll and Dicey are still only mid twenties. Alex Mohan is a lively corner back. Mixed with the experienced lads there is a good blend. The Kingstons will add more after their return from injuries along with Moore.

The key now is to get the result next week v Longford and stay in division 3 and build next year. As for Leinster, lets try to see off Wicklow in Aughrim and give Meath a rattle, I believe that would be in O'Moore park on May 1st.

Joeythelips

Quote from: County Man on March 21, 2022, 04:32:08 PM
Obviously it was disappointing to lose on Saturday night but we need to acknowledge a few things:

Limerick have greatly improved in the last few years. They have a settled management team, have some really good footballers, have a bit of pace and a good system. They kicked some really good scores from play and their full forward was the biggest man on the field. They look set for promotion to division 2 next week. Last year in the division 3 promotion playoff, they ran Derry to 4 points and look how well Derry are doing this year! In 2020, they took Tipperary to extra time in Munster semi final and Tipperary became Munster champions after.

For us, I thought we were playing some really good stuff in the first 20 minutes going 5-3 up. Then 2 of our defenders got injured, Kavanagh and Bennett. I thought Dylan Kavanagh was sublime in the early stages before picking up the hamstring injury. Sean O'Flynn is settling well into the midfield role and kicked a good score. Limerick got a run on us before half time, the injuries disrupted us.

We settled again in the 2nd half and kicked the first 5 scores. We kicked some good diagonal balls into the full forward line which reaped dividends . Evan O'Carroll and Gary Walsh worked hard. Timmons was excellent on his return.

We were unlucky not to get the draw with 3 late chances dropping wide. We are a work in progress, it is year 1 of a 3 year plan for Billy Sheehan. I believe we have potential to improve in the coming years. This year we have Dylan Kavanagh in, James Kelly back in, Bennett in, Sean O'Flynn and Mark Barry are young (kicked a brilliant score late on in the match). Evan O'Carroll and Dicey are still only mid twenties. Alex Mohan is a lively corner back. Mixed with the experienced lads there is a good blend. The Kingstons will add more after their return from injuries along with Moore.

The key now is to get the result next week v Longford and stay in division 3 and build next year. As for Leinster, lets try to see off Wicklow in Aughrim and give Meath a rattle, I believe that would be in O'Moore park on May 1st.

Well said, Laois next games are Longford, Wicklow and then (if they win) Meath and we can properly judge Sheehan then. They will be underdogs for that but Meath are no world beaters so Laois should not fear them.

Giovanni

Quote from: County Man on March 21, 2022, 04:32:08 PM

Good post

BallyroanAbu

It's the optimism that kills, sort out our underage and our Seniors will in time be decent.  Our minors Kilcavan have has many as Portlaoise.  Nice for Kilcavan but there is something seriously wrong when your major population base is not your main source of players .

High Fielder

Neither is ignoring it and thinking it's no big deal

Laoiseabu

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on March 22, 2022, 07:12:37 PM
It's the optimism that kills, sort out our underage and our Seniors will in time be decent.  Our minors Kilcavan have has many as Portlaoise.  Nice for Kilcavan but there is something seriously wrong when your major population base is not your main source of players .

In fact Kilcavan have 4 on the panel while Portlaoise have just 3 . I agree that Portlaoise needs be bringing through more quality players at underage if Laois as a county are to progress . The only 2 Portlaoise players on the Laois senior panel are the ageing Lillis and Dillon which is not enough representation for a town of that size . It's a sign of the times . Back in 2003 Aidan Fennelly , Colm Byrne , Kevin Fitzpatrick, Ian Fitzgerald and Colm Parkinson of Portlaoise were all key starters for Laois .

Laoiseabu

Quote from: georgedoylesrightleg on March 22, 2022, 08:30:08 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on March 22, 2022, 08:03:10 PM
Neither is ignoring it and thinking it's no big deal
It's a very big deal to Kilcavan and they should be commended for it
[/quote

I agree that Kilcavan should be commended. The likes of Ballyroan Abbey , Timahoe , Spink , The Heath , Park Ratheniska, Barrowhouse , Crettyard , Arles Killeen , Mountmellick , The Rock , ODempseys , Rosenallis, Clonaslee, Ballyfin have no players on the panel . Kilcavan have more representation than all them clubs put together.

BallyroanAbu

Kilcavan well done, but if you think this augurs well for Laois Football you must be joking.  It's being going on a few years, hopefully the GDA arrests the slide in Portlaoise. 

High Fielder

Is anyone seriously suggesting Kilcavan shouldn't be commended? No.

High Fielder

There was no stick at all. It was a comparison and a legitimate one. Quit trying to score points where there are none. The current state of the Portlaoise club should be a major concern for every Laois and Portlaoise supporter, and unless this newly appointed officer can pull rabbits from hats, that won't change overnight.

mcwregor

Portlaoise have the population to have up to 70 kids at each under age group. I think the GPO will improve things in time. What will be needed then is another juvenile club in the town.

Laois man

I hope you are right for the good of plaois and Laois Gaa who need plaois to be strong. But at the moment it's hard to keep one juvenile club going never mind 2.like a lot of people might not remember but plaois were a serious hurling and football club in the 80s and 90s and were the top club at juvenile aswell. And the plus side of that was laois were strong enough then with a lot of town players involved.

Portbush

The subject of portlaoise have two teams will always be debated and rightly so but the debate should be at country board level.the fastest growing town in the midlands.I can see one problem is that if this ever was going to happen and portlaoise number 2 team was to be a senior team that will take the place of another and is that the fear of some clubs I don't know. We have too  few underage teams playing A football.when a town as big as mouthmellick needs all its neighbours to compete and there a few more with them I see that as the biggest problem.