Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Catch and Kick

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on May 30, 2018, 03:28:42 PM
Great read from the Irish Examiner   

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/john-divilly/john-sugrue-building-confidence-and-trust-in-laois-471255.html?__twitter_impression=true

That's one of the best GAA articles I've read in a long time. Some of the forward play in the second half was top drawer stuff and in the space of Croke Park we can expect more.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Catch and Kick on May 31, 2018, 05:27:15 PM
Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on May 30, 2018, 03:28:42 PM
Great read from the Irish Examiner   

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/john-divilly/john-sugrue-building-confidence-and-trust-in-laois-471255.html?__twitter_impression=true

That's one of the best GAA articles I've read in a long time. Some of the forward play in the second half was top drawer stuff and in the space of Croke Park we can expect more.

Westmeaths defending was chronic which in fairness Laois made hay with.

portlaoisekid

I'm really happy the what things are going for Laois at the minute, we seem to have a focused, fit and happy camp. Sugrue is doing exactly what Laois need and that's to maximise the talent he has to play with and in this county that's not an easy thing.

We know where we are in the greater scheme of things and certainly are not in the league of the top teams but Laois football is in as good a place as it has been in a long time .

As for the Carlow match ,I really think croke park will bring us on further and whilst it wont be easy I think we will beat Carlow and a Leinster final appearance would be great . Carlow and there mgt team will have themselves worn out with media/social media duties  by the time the match comes around, all pressure is on them now. We are coming into this under the radar which suits us perfectly.

Unlaoised

Great point about Carlow and the media

Turlough asking the Dubs to come in early and support carlow was some laugh out loud moment on cklr yesterday
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Lads, the whole of Carlow are on a high at the moment, they beat Laois hurlers yesterday and are now looking at a possible appearance in Croke Park, their soccer team have just won the All-Ireland league (Oscar Traynor Cup) beating Kilkenny 2-1 and they feel everything is going their way.
We would want to be very wary of them next week, when a county gets that kind of momentum behind them they can be very hard to stop...  We have to play as though this is our Leinster final and respect what they can bring or else we could find ourselves being just another one of their conquests..

Laoiseabu

I'd imagine Carlow will be harder bet than what Westmeath were last week. They mightn't have much quality in the side but by jaysus will they be bursting their bollixes for one another.

Gmac

A good start against Carlow is vital a team that plays like that probably can't come from behind too good and a good start might knock some of the belief out of them bring them back to reality.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Gmac on June 03, 2018, 06:24:09 PM
A good start against Carlow is vital a team that plays like that probably can't come from behind too good and a good start might knock some of the belief out of them bring them back to reality.

Totally agree Gmac, it's very important we get off quickly next week, if Carlow do what Wexford did to us in the first half we could find it very difficult to get back into it. They will bring thousands to that game and they will let themselves be heard. Also if it's close in the last 10 minutes the Dubs will be in and they will give them huge vocal support..

on the hop

I think after looking at Fermanagh today we know what we will be facing. Have to take our goal chances but also no reckless shooting. Carlow will bring high energy and look to exploit us on the turn overs. They have played for frees a lot so lazy tackling will have to be cut out. We are under the radar with all the press they are receiving and hopefully they will seen as favourites. Interesting to see if they can execute their blanket defence in croke park

blueandwhite1

The big advantage of a good start against a blanket defence team is that it forces them to come out and play, which screws up their blanket defence. Monaghan couldn't get any sort of a run on Fermanagh today even though they had much better footballers and paid the price.

les Antiques

Interesting to see the Laois starting 15 considering the impact Walsh,Evan and Niall made coming on the last day . I do feel Benny Carroll can be more effective being introduced as sub as he's capable of making an instant impact with his style of play .
Encouragily for us our bench is stronger than Carlow's and that's going to be major factor come Sunday .

The PRO

Quote from: les Antiques on June 05, 2018, 10:24:30 AM
Interesting to see the Laois starting 15 considering the impact Walsh,Evan and Niall made coming on the last day . I do feel Benny Carroll can be more effective being introduced as sub as he's capable of making an instant impact with his style of play .
Encouragily for us our bench is stronger than Carlow's and that's going to be major factor come Sunday .
Yeah the starting 15 will be very important. Vital to get ahead of Carlow early on and make them come out and play a bit less defensively.