Conor Gormley retires

Started by give her dixie, January 01, 2015, 01:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on January 05, 2015, 08:54:34 AM
The picture says less about his character and more about yours

Pretty sure it says more about the lad taunting another player after winning a match. You guys have to stop trying to defend or deflect from something so blatant - Gormley will never be remembered for sportsmanship or being a saint, anyone that seen him play can objectively say that.

Doesn't mean he wasn't a good or an important player. I would have been happy to have a Conor Gormley on our team in any era.

nrico2006

Quote from: Syferus on January 05, 2015, 10:36:06 AM

Pretty sure it says more about the lad taunting another player after winning a match. You guys have to stop trying to defend or deflect from something so blatant - Gormley will never be remembered for sportsmanship or being a saint, anyone that seen him play can objectively say that.

Doesn't mean he wasn't a good or an important player. I would have been happy to have a Conor Gormley on our team in any era.

If Gormley was in fact goading O'Sullivan I don't necessarily see it as the worst thing in the world either.  I would never get involved in verbals or play dirty but I have played against enough players in my time who have been scumbags be it verbally or physically and there are a few that I would have gladly over-celebrated right in their faces.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

orangeman

After yesterday's goings on in Armagh I'd say Gormley now regrets his retirement.

Cearnog Liathroid

This picture taken a split second doesn't prove anything either, except perhaps that we cannot be 100% certain that O'Sullivan is the target of Gormley's celebration.
A single photographic image is often unreliable in evidence.

naka

to be fair I think gormley was just celebrating the win,
he probably never even noticed the kerryman such was his joy at victory

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Cearnog Liathroid on January 05, 2015, 04:06:46 PM

This picture taken a split second doesn't prove anything either, except perhaps that we cannot be 100% certain that O'Sullivan is the target of Gormley's celebration.
A single photographic image is often unreliable in evidence.

100%

I'd hate to get a picture of me after getting a tackle on saturday night
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Didn't bother replying for a while, but just on case people see this as "Anti-Tyrone" or something like that, it's not. Gormley was an excellent player, anyone saying otherwise doesn't know their stuff IMO. When, say, Philip Jordan retired, I posted somewhere (maybe not here) that he was an outstanding player and despite the fact he played for a rival team, as a Gaelic Football fan my memories of him playing would be hugely positive. He was a player I loved watching and would use as an example for younger players. Same goes for O'Neill, Canavan (apart from the ridiculous incident in 2003 semi final), Dooher, Kavanagh and others.
Now, it just happens to be my opinion that Gormley would fall slightly short of that bracket of greatness, purely as a player, but what I was getting at with my original post was that he had a nasty streak which went well beyond any "GAA hard man" bracket you could think of. He regularly dropped the knee onto prone opposition players, for example. That's what I was alluding to. I realise he was a hero to his own fans and all that, which is fair enough. Just giving my own opinion.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 05, 2015, 05:10:17 PM
Didn't bother replying for a while, but just on case people see this as "Anti-Tyrone" or something like that, it's not. Gormley was an excellent player, anyone saying otherwise doesn't know their stuff IMO. When, say, Philip Jordan retired, I posted somewhere (maybe not here) that he was an outstanding player and despite the fact he played for a rival team, as a Gaelic Football fan my memories of him playing would be hugely positive. He was a player I loved watching and would use as an example for younger players. Same goes for O'Neill, Canavan (apart from the ridiculous incident in 2003 semi final), Dooher, Kavanagh and others.
Now, it just happens to be my opinion that Gormley would fall slightly short of that bracket of greatness, purely as a player, but what I was getting at with my original post was that he had a nasty streak which went well beyond any "GAA hard man" bracket you could think of. He regularly dropped the knee onto prone opposition players, for example. That's what I was alluding to. I realise he was a hero to his own fans and all that, which is fair enough. Just giving my own opinion.

A fair assessment of Conor for the first couple of lines - i have defend him as arguably one of the best footballers of the this generation...i don't think he was a dirty player at all, and i also think that the "block" tackle he made in 03, was only one of many game changing incidents from his career...he has incredible resilience and sublime leadership qualities - evidenced more through what he does for his club...

I wish there were more players like him in the current set up, but with Stevie O'Neill gone too its hard to see where the real leaders are in Tyrone
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Fuzzman

Which knee incident do you mean Ciarrai_thuaidh?
I remember Ricey's on John McEntee.

In fairness Conor gave his fair share of dirt now lads and many teams hated him for this. He was often the man to mark another teams star forward and often that did tend to bring out the darker side of the man to get that edge. The big difference between him though and many a dirtier player from yesteryear was the amount of cameras at matches now. The Dublin Meath or Dublin Kerry matches from years ago had some serious dirty play whereas now you hardly ever see a punch. A lot of neck holding and nipping and of course sledging.

Fair play Ciarrai_thuaidh for using Tyrone players as role models for your kids. Am very impressed
As a matter of interest would ye have used any Armagh players like Oisin, McGeeney or McDonnell? Just wondering. Not stirring.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: LeoMc on January 05, 2015, 04:26:59 PM

is it true that just out of shot, sean cavanagh is giving himself a deadly big hug?

Croí na hÉireann

Harsh on muppet.

That's Galvin on the ground, not O'Sullivan.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Max Payne

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on January 06, 2015, 03:17:42 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on January 05, 2015, 04:26:59 PM

is it true that just out of shot, sean cavanagh is giving himself a deadly big hug?

It's true. If Sean Cavanagh was made of chocolate...

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 08, 2015, 04:54:32 PM

Harsh on muppet.

That's Galvin on the ground, not O'Sullivan.

Ah no, it says loads about my character. You can see me sleeping on the floor there after you lost the keys!
MWWSI 2017

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 06, 2015, 03:10:41 PM
Which knee incident do you mean Ciarrai_thuaidh?
I remember Ricey's on John McEntee.

In fairness Conor gave his fair share of dirt now lads and many teams hated him for this. He was often the man to mark another teams star forward and often that did tend to bring out the darker side of the man to get that edge. The big difference between him though and many a dirtier player from yesteryear was the amount of cameras at matches now. The Dublin Meath or Dublin Kerry matches from years ago had some serious dirty play whereas now you hardly ever see a punch. A lot of neck holding and nipping and of course sledging.

Fair play Ciarrai_thuaidh for using Tyrone players as role models for your kids. Am very impressed
As a matter of interest would ye have used any Armagh players like Oisin, McGeeney or McDonnell? Just wondering. Not stirring.

No one incident with Gormley but he did it consistently. Have gone on enough about it anyway.

Of course I use players like Stephen O'Neill as an example..who wouldn't?! At his peak I don't think there were many better point kickers..well able to stick a goal aswell. To answer your question on that Armagh trio, yes would regard them as worthy role models. Have mentioned the likes of John McEntee before to fellas aswell to illustrate that you don't all have to have blinding pace to play at the top level if you can excel in kicking, passing and other attributes.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...