Davy Byrne

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 08, 2015, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

You obviously don't

INDIANA

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 14, 2015, 10:23:17 PM

You obviously don't

I do actually it's quite clear you haven't a rashers what went on. Should try learning to play football first maybe judging by your display last Sunday.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on July 14, 2015, 10:04:50 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on July 14, 2015, 04:58:25 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2015, 01:59:58 PM
That's true enough.
On the issue of challenge matches, can anyone think of an example comparable to this?
I've heard of challenges turning into flaking matches but I can't think of any where there has been this degree of fallout.

Over virtually nothing and because of a grossly exaggerated initial report.

The facts of this non event are fairly well established in all corners at this point. Worse happenstrying to get the ball back after free kicks are given in every match you watch

Complete rubbish. I know exactly what happened and if it's investigated properly it will be a lengthy ban for the Armagh player. There was no digs thrown by the Dublin player. Armagh were wound up like lunatics after the Donegal game.

Stop putting out erroneous details.

Not doubting you know what happened.

Why did Dublin agree to let this go? Surely they should have demanded a full and proper investigation. Now, until there is a transparent investigation undertaken, Dublin will seem to be involved in a conspiracy to cover up some unsavoury incident. Who decided that was a good idea? Everybody should know that it is impossible to keep something like that under wraps even if you should want to. Even behind closed doors there are too many people to gag.

BennyHarp

Looks like the investigation some of you crave is happening.

Byrne incident will be investigated
14 July 2015

The GAA has belatedly decided to investigate the incident that saw Dublin's Davey Byrne sustain serious facial injuries against Armagh.

The Dubs utility man had to be hospitalised when suffering a broken nose during an altercation before throw-in for the now-infamous SF challenge at Glasnevin twelve days ago and was subsequently unavailable for Sunday's Leinster final.

Initially, the GAA seemed powerless to intervene as referee Fergal Kelly didn't mention the incident in his match report.

However, reference has since been made by manager Jim Gavin to the Byrne injury in the media, with the Dubs boss stating that both the Ballymun Kickhams clubman and his Orchard County opponent had spoken subsequently and wanted to move on from the July 2nd flashpoint.

However, it now transpires that the GAA's powerful Central Competitions Control Committee is seeking further information and may not allow the two counties to simply sort it out amongst
That was never a square ball!!

DuffleKing

There is only one gormless clown that would come on here announcing that he knew exactly what happened. You obviously don't or you, like the Dublin management, would be keeping your head down for fear of losing players. Obviously certain players get away with intimidation and thuggery in club football in Dublin if they think it should be tolerated at a county level.

Rufus T Firefly

I've a couple of issues with this.

I understand the demand for an investigation, given the injuries (or injury singular) suffered. However there seems to be a push to investigate one incident. Were there not multiple players involved and throwing punches? Do they get off because they didn't inflict a minimum threshold of damage?

And imagine if you will that the investigation uncovered other serious transgressions - say for the sake of discussion players running in from another pitch to get involved. Will they be investigated and given appropriate sanctions?

And after this investigation has concluded, will there now be more consistency with the GAA's urgency to conduct disciplinary investigations. Armagh and Cavan were investigated last year, but similar issues went unpunished - Mayo and Kerry in Limerick as an example. If Armagh and Dublin get investigated, will there be similar investigations for other issues? I don't recall much happening after Tyrone v Donegal or Mayo v Galway?

Throw ball

Quote from: INDIANA on July 14, 2015, 10:04:50 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on July 14, 2015, 04:58:25 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2015, 01:59:58 PM
That's true enough.
On the issue of challenge matches, can anyone think of an example comparable to this?
I've heard of challenges turning into flaking matches but I can't think of any where there has been this degree of fallout.

Over virtually nothing and because of a grossly exaggerated initial report.

The facts of this non event are fairly well established in all corners at this point. Worse happenstrying to get the ball back after free kicks are given in every match you watch

Complete rubbish. I know exactly what happened and if it's investigated properly it will be a lengthy ban for the Armagh player. There was no digs thrown by the Dublin player. Armagh were wound up like lunatics after the Donegal game.

Stop putting out erroneous details.

Erroneous details were put out by a newspaper at the start. By stating that Armagh were wound up like lunatics you are implicating a number of completely innocent people. Only the players involved know exactly what happened. Dublin seemed quite happy to let the matter go. If the GAA want to investigate it and they can get categoric prove that player(s) should be banned then then they should do so. The problem is that the erroneous reporting to date means that a fair hearing will be difficult to achieve and naming any player as guilty of an offence without the categoric prove I mention could be considered slanderous or libellous.

moysider

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 14, 2015, 10:40:12 PM

I understand the demand for an investigation, given the injuries (or injury singular) suffered. However there seems to be a push to investigate one incident. Were there not multiple players involved and throwing punches? Do they get off because they didn't inflict a minimum threshold of damage?

And imagine if you will that the investigation uncovered other serious transgressions - say for the sake of discussion players running in from another pitch to get involved. Will they be investigated and given appropriate sanctions?

And after this investigation has concluded, will there now be more consistency with the GAA's urgency to conduct disciplinary investigations. Armagh and Cavan were investigated last year, but similar issues went unpunished - Mayo and Kerry in Limerick as an example. If Armagh and Dublin get investigated, will there be similar investigations for other issues? I don't recall much happening after Tyrone v Donegal or Mayo v Galway?

Why? What happened there?

Those and the other games you mention were played in front of thousands of witnesses, appointed officials and several cameras. Not much chance of a cover up there if anything happens.

The issue with the Davy Byrne incident is that because the match was played behind closed doors it appears that a conspiracy took place to cover it up. Why? We don t know yet. But clearly an investigation and a report/result is needed. The ref needs to be hauled in as well and suspended if he was part of the hush hush. Both counties needs to be fined for not bringing this to the attention . I would have thought in this day and age that injured players would have to be mentioned in ref report regardless if he saw something or not. Even to cover himself if there is an insurance issue later. I ve had refs ask for details of players replaced with injuries during matches. Can t believe something like this could happen really. As I said earlier these type of games need strict procedures put in place.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Throw ball on July 14, 2015, 10:46:31 PMThe problem is that the erroneous reporting to date means that a fair hearing will be difficult to achieve and naming any player as guilty of an offence without the categoric prove I mention could be considered slanderous or libellous.

I think you are overstating significantly the difficulty of a fair hearing based on what has been reported to date in the media.

If there was to be a legal case, there has been nothing in the media to date that would be sufficient to have a judge throwing out a case ; for a sporting organisation with far less severe penalties there is no way that any panel is going to accept any such argument.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: moysider on July 14, 2015, 11:00:23 PM
Why? What happened there? Those and the other games you mention were played in front of thousands of witnesses, appointed officials and several cameras. Not much chance of a cover up there if anything happens.

As did Armagh and Cavan and the GAA deemed an investigation take place and suspensions / fines be imposed for what happened?

Did that happen after the aforementioned games? I don't recall it. The bottom line is here that an investigation will take place into a large 'fracas' and not an investigation into a 'cover up'.

INDIANA

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 14, 2015, 10:38:05 PM
There is only one gormless clown that would come on here announcing that he knew exactly what happened. You obviously don't or you, like the Dublin management, would be keeping your head down for fear of losing players. Obviously certain players get away with intimidation and thuggery in club football in Dublin if they think it should be tolerated at a county level.

Thats why I know you don't know what happened.

because if you did you'd know what personnel Dublin used that night.

When was the last time Davy Byrne played championship football for Dublin?

INDIANA

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 14, 2015, 10:40:12 PM

I've no issue with a full investigation of players off both sides. None whatsoever. Players weren't in hospital in the games you mentioned so trying to compare them really is a bit silly.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: INDIANA on July 14, 2015, 11:21:00 PM
I've no issue with a full investigation of players off both sides. None whatsoever. Players weren't in hospital in the games you mentioned so trying to compare them really is a bit silly.

Edited to say;

You appear therefore to be saying that there has to be a minimum threshold of injury before an investigation can / needs to take place? Now that is a bit silly.

orangeman

Bottom line is that the Gaa have the official guide and can only initiate disciplinary procedures under rules as laid down therein.

The apparent complete absence of a referee's report will mean IMO that there will not be any disciplinary procedures.

There will probably be ( and no harm either ) a rule brought in that all challenge matches must be reffed by a previously appointed official referee and that a report must be submitted in all instances including any yellows/ reds etc and sanctions handed out as a result.

Dublin, contrary to what some have said, have already it seems provided a video of the game which didn't show the incident - so how can they be accused of just wanting to get rid of it ?.

INDIANA

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 14, 2015, 11:23:32 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 14, 2015, 11:21:00 PM

So you are saying that there has to be a minimum threshold of injury before an investigation can / needs to take place?

No but anyone can distinguish between the difference of a player spending a few nights in hospital and another like Mayo or Tyone's games who gets pushed to the ground a few times and is verbally abused. Both instances are unacceptable but the seriousness of one incident over the other deems it necessary of investigation in my view.

We can't accept players being badly injured in games as part of the norm and the same as other instances where physical bodily harm isn't inflicted. Thats pretty obvious in my view. One incident ensures a guy can't go to work the next day