Davy Byrne

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 08, 2015, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 14, 2015, 11:30:52 AM
Their hands were tied as there was no reference to the incident in the referee's match report or a complaint from Dublin. My information is that they were very unhappy about the incident and the lack of information about it. Gavin's interview where he refers to a frank discussion to an unnamed Armagh has given them an avenue to pursue.
[/b]

You could well be right about this but where does this begin and end ?. Can any manager / official make a statement to Parkinson about an alleged incident in a match whether it be a challenge or not and that is enough to begin an investigation ?.

Sidney

Quote from: Jinxy on July 13, 2015, 10:16:03 PM
I heard Ger Gilroy rabbiting on alright and felt like firing the radio out the window.
Some lad texted in to say he was reconsidering letting his daughter play u-12 camogie on the back of this.  ::)
Take Molloy and Parkinson out of the studio and it's barely worth listening to.
If the GAA and GAA people are seen to indulge and make excuses for a culture of off the ball violence, that's an entirely understandable reaction. Regrettable, but understandable.

Plenty of parents won't let their kids play rugby due to both the serious physical dangers inherent to the game itself and off the ball violence associated with the game, and that's entirely understandable.

Jinxy

Quote from: Sidney on July 14, 2015, 01:25:08 PM
I heard Ger Gilroy rabbiting on alright and felt like firing the radio out the window.
Some lad texted in to say he was reconsidering letting his daughter play u-12 camogie on the back of this.  ::)
If the GAA and GAA people are seen to indulge and make excuses for a culture of off the ball violence, that's an entirely understandable reaction. Regrettable, but understandable.

Plenty of parents won't let their kids play rugby due to both the serious physical dangers inherent to the game itself and off the ball violence associated with the game, and that's entirely understandable.

That's the thing though, you never hear this type of uproar over violent incidents in rugby.
I can put up umpteen clips of rugby players thumping the heads off each other, head-butting, gouging, rucking with their studs etc.
It never seems to evoke the same type of moral panic for some reason.
Then again, you get an altogether better class of thug in rugby.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2015, 01:31:02 PM
Quote from: Sidney on July 14, 2015, 01:25:08 PM

That's the thing though, you never hear this type of uproar over violent incidents in rugby.
I can put up umpteen clips of rugby players thumping the heads off each other, head-butting, gouging, rucking with their studs etc.
It never seems to evoke the same type of moral panic for some reason.
Then again, you get an altogether better class of thug in rugby.

Frank discussions have been to the fore in rugby discipline for years. The level of thuggery in rugby has dropped considerably in the last 20 years, you still get incidents but there is a lot more accountability. I would say there is still some moral panic but the GAA is ingrained more in our culture and therefore is a greater barometer of us as a nation, hence our morality is more exposed and moral outrage is heightened as a result.

#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

That's true enough.
On the issue of challenge matches, can anyone think of an example comparable to this?
I've heard of challenges turning into flaking matches but I can't think of any where there has been this degree of fallout.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Are they going to question this guy, Frank?

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 14, 2015, 02:21:24 PM
Are they going to question this guy, Frank?

If it's Murphy then they can forget about it.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2015, 01:59:58 PM
That's true enough.
On the issue of challenge matches, can anyone think of an example comparable to this?
I've heard of challenges turning into flaking matches but I can't think of any where there has been this degree of fallout.

Over virtually nothing and because of a grossly exaggerated initial report.

The facts of this non event are fairly well established in all corners at this point. Worse happenstrying to get the ball back after free kicks are given in every match you watch

AZOffaly

Worse than a broken nose happens trying to get the ball back?

twohands!!!

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 14, 2015, 05:05:37 PM
Worse than a broken nose happens trying to get the ball back?

Yeah didn't you hear it's now mandatory that lads must spend 2 night in hospital anytime they have to get the ball back for a free-kick.

DuffleKing

It's a contact sport. Noses,  arms,  legs,  fingers and more get broken regularly without someone needing to be vilified.

Also, more than once I've seen clowns flailing punches at someone, get one back to keep them off and end off coming off far worse.

Three weeks ago I watched two lads converge on a break ball... One lad came out with the ball and away. The other didn't get up and turned out he'd a dislocated elbow and heavy concussion. Should there be an investigation or is that confined to those incidents that the evening herald want an enquiry for?

galwayman

Three weeks ago I watched two lads converge on a break ball... One lad came out with the ball and away. The other didn't get up and turned out he'd a dislocated elbow and heavy concussion. Should there be an investigation or is that confined to those incidents that the evening herald want an enquiry for?

Are you seriously drawing comparisons between an injury that occurred in a collision for a breaking ball & the off the ball incident in the Armagh v Dublin game?

muppet

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 14, 2015, 06:54:20 PM

It's a contact sport. Noses,  arms,  legs,  fingers and more get broken regularly without someone needing to be vilified.

Also, more than once I've seen clowns flailing punches at someone, get one back to keep them off and end off coming off far worse.

Did you go to the same school as Fearon?
MWWSI 2017

DuffleKing

Quote from: galwayman on July 14, 2015, 07:48:31 PM

Are you seriously drawing comparisons between an injury that occurred in a collision for a breaking ball & the off the ball incident in the Armagh v Dublin game?

The EH said it was off the ball. They said a lot of things that were retracted

INDIANA

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 14, 2015, 04:58:25 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2015, 01:59:58 PM
That's true enough.

Over virtually nothing and because of a grossly exaggerated initial report.

The facts of this non event are fairly well established in all corners at this point. Worse happenstrying to get the ball back after free kicks are given in every match you watch

Complete rubbish. I know exactly what happened and if it's investigated properly it will be a lengthy ban for the Armagh player. There was no digs thrown by the Dublin player. Armagh were wound up like lunatics after the Donegal game.

Stop putting out erroneous details.