Laptops - best options?

Started by Owenmoresider, July 05, 2007, 01:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

I suspect a similiar thread may have appeared here at some stage, but can anyone help me with regard to what laptops would be the best performance and value? My current one is going on a long term work-to-rule so it's time to invest I guess. Any ideas, preferably under the €1,000 mark?

bennydorano

Excuse my ignorance but if you get a laptop with wireless broadband, what is the score if you use it down south, is it like a mobile phone set up???

armaghniac

QuoteExcuse my ignorance but if you get a laptop with wireless broadband, what is the score if you use it down south, is it like a mobile phone set up??

Wireless e.g. Centrino in a laptop is something you use inside a building and is essentially the same all over the world.

Wireless broadband can also refer to public service to get broadband to your house, this requires are box of some sort which you connect your machine to.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The squinted eye

Our company director bought three acer laptops for us, at the time i thought he was being tight but all three have been well used over the last year and none of them have given any problems. I would have no problem recommending them to someone

J70

PCworld.com do side-by-side comparisons and rankings. Here's a few in different categories that should give you a guide to what's out there at the moment (prices are in US dollars though):

All purpose:  http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,123678;page,1;c,story/article.html

Ultra-portable  http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,123867/article.html

Power laptops  http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,123729;page,1;c,story/article.html

armaghniac

Rumour has it at my place of Gaaboard reading employment that there is a supply problem with laptop screens just now and consequent delays in the delivery of machines. Perhaps when this problem eases there will be some deals.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bensars

I got a great deal on an acer  from saverstore.com  ( Thanks mac eoghain)

Went to clearance section, it was B grade.  £325

Lovely Jubbly

Deal_Me_In

Also if you are buying online try setting up an account on www.quidco.co.uk (not sure if there is an .ie version) and if you buy through Currys, PC World etc you can earn cash back, usually between 2-5%. Nice little earner for new mobile phones, got £80 cash back when signed up on a contract with 3 mobile.

stiffler

Im on the look out for a laptop, not really fussed on the spec, all that il be using it for will be the internet and playing Football Manager 2008 when it comes out later this month.

Anyone recommend a good deal for around 400quid?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

hoopsaaa

Keep an eye on www.hotukdeals.com. You can see all the latest deals on Dell, PC world etc.

My advice

1) Stay away from Vista. It takes a good spec to run it and i see little over XP yet. On Dell you can choose either XP Pro or Vista - stick to XP. On Dell drop the cover to one yae and save £130 or so. Why pay this sort of money to cover a laptop at £400.

2) If you can buy HP. Good solid machines. Like a Massey Ferguson 135 - not flash but they do a real good job for a very long time.

3) Stay away from Curry's and PC world. Currys sell Fridges and PC world sell rubbish.

Also try www.dabs.com or www.insight.co.uk.

Davitt Man

Lads, me laptop is knackered is there anywhere in dublin i can bring it in to get it wiped and put a fresh new image on it?

screenmachine

I'm thinkin of buyin a new PC also lads. I was thinkin of this one ( http://www.ebuyer.com/product/138614/show_product_overview ) but I'm not sure of Vista is the only thing but it looks a powerful machine. No monitor with it but I could pick 1 up for about £100, so a total of £450 would be in and about my budget.  What do ya's think, or has anyone any other recommendations? Cheers lads!
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

thejuice

www.dabs.com is where I got mine. a nice ACER one. works great really happy with the laptop and dabs themselves.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

dodo

Can someone advise what would be the basics that should be included in a new laptop.
Are webcams now fairly standard ?