Career Change

Started by Ty4Sam, March 21, 2018, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: laoislad on March 21, 2018, 02:06:06 PM
If you can at all I'd advise anyone to give working for yourself a go. It certainly brings it's own headaches and whatever but the freedom of it and not having to answer to anyone is what makes it for me.
I couldn't imagine ever working for anyone again. I don't like being told what to do anyways (get enough of that off the mrs at home)so working for myself suits me down to the ground.

I'd love to give this a go, but in the software field its a difficult one to go it alone. I'm on the verge of taking a new role, for many of the same reasons mentioned by others here.
I think if I was to do it all again, I'd start out on my own at a younger age when I have no responsibilities. When you have kids and a mortgage its a bigger risk.
Plus, work-life-balance is key for me. I dont want to live to work, which I fear would happen when self employed.

I've often thought about a complete change of career and retraining etc, but then you go back to the bottom of the salary scale again and that would be a tough pill to swallow.

illdecide

I worked in Engineering for 13 years and served an Engineering apprenticeship but was fed up coming home from work every night with the face black and blowing your nose seeing what you had been breathing in all day. Not to mention the hospital visits to get steel out of your eye and arc eye (welding flash) so decided around late 20's and early 30's to go back to college and done a foundation degree in Civil Engineering and this is what i currently work at, i'm mostly office based but i do get out on site sometimes surveying with Total Station and GPS equipment which i love as being from an outside man background. I'm glad i done the career change but TBH there are very few people who really truly love their job and as someone stated it's about earning as much as possible for as little as work as possible.

Believe it or not but recently another opportunity has come up to purchase a we small business (family in law owned) which i'm strongly considering but still hope to stay where i currently work...Things will be interesting in the next 6-12 months.

I don't know what you currently work at or what else interests you but don't be afraid to give it a go...whats the worst can happen? If it doesn't work out you have tried it and go back to what you know best and you'll be happy with yourself that you gave it a go and it wasn't for you. If you give it a go and you like it then winner winner chicken dinner ;D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

brokencrossbar1

You could try a real career path change and go into law.....PM Syferus and he'll keep you right about that....he's a legal expert like Jamie Bryson ;D

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 22, 2018, 10:36:18 AM
If you can at all I'd advise anyone to give working for yourself a go. It certainly brings it's own headaches and whatever but the freedom of it and not having to answer to anyone is what makes it for me.
I couldn't imagine ever working for anyone again. I don't like being told what to do anyways (get enough of that off the mrs at home)so working for myself suits me down to the ground.

I'd love to give this a go, but in the software field its a difficult one to go it alone. I'm on the verge of taking a new role, for many of the same reasons mentioned by others here.
I think if I was to do it all again, I'd start out on my own at a younger age when I have no responsibilities. When you have kids and a mortgage its a bigger risk.
Plus, work-life-balance is key for me. I dont want to live to work, which I fear would happen when self employed.

I've often thought about a complete change of career and retraining etc, but then you go back to the bottom of the salary scale again and that would be a tough pill to swallow.

Work in the software field myself and starting contracting around 18 months ago.  Been going well so far - and was actually contacted by a company I was full time with to see would I be interested in coming back as a contractor.  You obviously need a few years experience in the field before you might be confident to be a contractor.  Some of the Daily rates for the right skillset in London/Dublin is great - drop me a pm if you want to discuss further.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

seafoid

Quote from: Ty4Sam on March 21, 2018, 10:46:57 AM
Anyone got any advice on a career change for a 40 year old? Been in my current role for 15 years and feel like I'm stagnating. Feel like it's change now or stick it out for the forseeable. Has anyone went through a change of career and have any recommendations etc.?

Should have added, I don't mind going and doing a part time course ie. plumbing etc.

To do it properly you need a career advisor who can do a few tests to see if something else would suit you. Courses are a good idea so you can gain exposure to the new thing and also start building a network.
The best job is one that suits the way you think .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 22, 2018, 11:27:42 AM
You could try a real career path change and go into law.....PM Syferus and he'll keep you right about that....he's a legal expert like Jamie Bryson ;D

;D ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

It's something i have been thinking about recently myself. My own issues would be that a change of career sometimes means a drop in wages (not that i earn very much) to start on the bottom rung. With a young family and the various commitments that brings I dont think I could do that. Possibly going back to some sort of part time learning would be a step in the right direction.

tbrick18

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on March 22, 2018, 11:34:35 AM

Work in the software field myself and starting contracting around 18 months ago.  Been going well so far - and was actually contacted by a company I was full time with to see would I be interested in coming back as a contractor.  You obviously need a few years experience in the field before you might be confident to be a contractor.  Some of the Daily rates for the right skillset in London/Dublin is great - drop me a pm if you want to discuss further.

I'm in the game about 20 years and to be honest, most contract roles I've seen are all development roles. If I never had to write another line of code I wouldnt complain at this stage.
Also, with a young family, I wouldnt fancy the Dublin/London thing. Maybe I'm too picky.
The role I'm looking at currently is a non development one whereas I currently still have some element of coding though mostly management. I'm hoping that if I do decide to go, the change of role will re-invigorate me.
But I do know that when you are doing the same job for too long, you do stagnate and that can affect your health.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 22, 2018, 03:22:02 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on March 22, 2018, 11:34:35 AM

I'm in the game about 20 years and to be honest, most contract roles I've seen are all development roles. If I never had to write another line of code I wouldnt complain at this stage.
Also, with a young family, I wouldnt fancy the Dublin/London thing. Maybe I'm too picky.
The role I'm looking at currently is a non-development one whereas I currently still have some element of coding though mostly management. I'm hoping that if I do decide to go, the change of role will re-invigorate me.
But I do know that when you are doing the same job for too long, you do stagnate and that can affect your health.

Ah fair enough then - I'm coding just over 10 years now and that was one of the main reasons got into contracting - didn't want all the b*llshit that goes with moving up the roles in companies to an architect role or project manager, etc - enjoy coming in writing code going home.  The money is the only thing that would tempt me to London/Dublin - however happy with what I'm - based in b.fast city centre which is a handy enough commute for me - also have the home office if I need to do a bit from home and the company are happy enough that I can work from home if needed 
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

seafoid

A good career consultant will be able to build the parameters of a new career from things you have done in your old one. Eg what management or project management experience you have. Lots of skills are transferable. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on March 22, 2018, 05:00:43 PM

A good career consultant will be able to build the parameters of a new career from things you have done in your old one. Eg what management or project management experience you have. Lots of skills are transferable.

How popular Re these career consultants now? Are they a step up from a recruitment agent? Who I've no time for based on past experiences ( that's not to say I had the best ones working to get me employed)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2018, 06:43:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 22, 2018, 05:00:43 PM

How popular Re these career consultants now? Are they a step up from a recruitment agent? Who I've no time for based on past experiences ( that's not to say I had the best ones working to get me employed)
Very different pros. Recruitment agents put you in the box you were always in. Career consultants find you a different box.
A lot of the reasons why people think they could be in a different career are based around how they think.
If you have a job that motivates you it is less likely that the job will be be boring or not go anywhere. 

brokencrossbar1

Career coach who I did a bit of work with before was very good. She's based in Holywood if anyone interested. PM me

Dougal Maguire

So what's considered to be good money for a man in his 50s?
Careful now

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 22, 2018, 07:44:35 PM
So what's considered to be good money for a man in his 50s?

Not having daughters would be a start!