Career Change

Started by Ty4Sam, March 21, 2018, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty4Sam

Anyone got any advice on a career change for a 40 year old? Been in my current role for 15 years and feel like I'm stagnating. Feel like it's change now or stick it out for the forseeable. Has anyone went through a change of career and have any recommendations etc.?

Should have added, I don't mind going and doing a part time course ie. plumbing etc.

Dire Ear

Plenty of engineering jobs in Tyrone,  training given, seems to be plenty of hours available.  Not sure what area,  place or job type , you're looking?

Ty4Sam

Cheers Dire Ear. That's the thing, I'm not sure what area I want to go down, hence I'm here looking for ideas. Its worked already as I never thought about engineering. What kind of salary are you talking after say 5 years experience?

Dire Ear

Can't help you with figures I'm sorry!  But the numbers are vast ; Terex, Maximus, Chieftain, Mallaghan,  and thats just on the main road between Coalisland and Dungannon

Milltown Row2

Been down this route a couple times, from an engineering background originally and got into teaching engineering in training colleges.. good sector to get into providing you have the temperment and skills.. Most training organisations will put you through all your exams also, up to a teaching certificate..

Lots of other things to branch off into within those jobs, management, auditor, and so on

But I changed all that about 5 odd years ago and got into medical sales, mine is a niche market of sales which required a foundation degree course but its been the best move yet, very tough to give it a go in your 40's, I was 41 so for me it was a gamble that has paid off and works well for me..

I'd full recommend to change your job if your feeling like that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Ty4Sam on March 21, 2018, 10:46:57 AM
Anyone got any advice on a career change for a 40 year old? Been in my current role for 15 years and feel like I'm stagnating. Feel like it's change now or stick it out for the forseeable. Has anyone went through a change of career and have any recommendations etc.?

Should have added, I don't mind going and doing a part time course ie. plumbing etc.

What's your skills?

Boycey

I'm in the same boat but almost 10 years older  >:(. The job I'm in at the minute is actually affecting my mental health but I'm not sure where to turn or what I'm qualified to do...

The Iceman

I know a lot of lads around 40 questioning life, career choice, looking forward to retirement and the time they have left.
A job is a job. If it isn't something vocational that doesn't translate well in to another role I would sit tight and just view it as a way to make money to pay for life.
Then try to embrace the actual living part a little more......take up a new hobby or go on a trip or take on a project around the house and complete it.... happiness in work or relationships or life isn't chasing the next thing...I've found it's a decision mostly.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Ty4Sam

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on March 21, 2018, 11:43:37 AM
I'm in the same boat but almost 10 years older  >:(. The job I'm in at the minute is actually affecting my mental health but I'm not sure where to turn or what I'm qualified to do...

If its affecting your health you need to review your current choices, and yes you have to take into consideration the money side of things but if the job starts to have a down side medically then I'd be looking a way out or speak to those within the company to reduce the pressures of the job, if possible
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general

Anyone working on the tools - Health & Safety is the most obvious choice. Its an interesting career which of course is spoken about badly by any site workers - however all H&S personnel do is help make work safer and potentially save lives. Sure what does it matter if it means doing things a bit differently or slower.

I'm involved with my own family Health & Safety Training business - serious amount of men getting off the tools and into H&S - anyone want any advice or have a chat by all means send me a DM and we can get a craic on the phone

Tony Baloney

You're not alone Ty4Sam. I remember chatting with a fella a couple of years ago and he said that he thought 40 was the apex of his (or anyone's) career where he has plenty of knowledge and experience to offer employers which he could use to to make some "real money" as he called it, whereas as starting to move towards 50 he thought he'd become less employable. He jacked his job and took up a similar albeit far better paid job in England. Afterwards I stuck some feelers out, interviewed for another job, told my boss the score and they offered me better pay and conditions to stay, but I can feel the effect of that starting to wear off now and I'd be game for a change too.

laoislad

If you can at all I'd advise anyone to give working for yourself a go. It certainly brings it's own headaches and whatever but the freedom of it and not having to answer to anyone is what makes it for me.
I couldn't imagine ever working for anyone again. I don't like being told what to do anyways (get enough of that off the mrs at home)so working for myself suits me down to the ground.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Ty4Sam

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 21, 2018, 01:54:42 PM
You're not alone Ty4Sam. I remember chatting with a fella a couple of years ago and he said that he thought 40 was the apex of his (or anyone's) career where he has plenty of knowledge and experience to offer employers which he could use to to make some "real money" as he called it, whereas as starting to move towards 50 he thought he'd become less employable. He jacked his job and took up a similar albeit far better paid job in England. Afterwards I stuck some feelers out, interviewed for another job, told my boss the score and they offered me better pay and conditions to stay, but I can feel the effect of that starting to wear off now and I'd be game for a change too.

A lot of that resonates with me. I would feel pretty confident going down any line of work at the minute and would feel that I could offer any business a lot. As you said, in the (far away!) horizon is 50 and less chance of getting employed therefore it feels like I'm approaching last chance saloon.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Ty4Sam on March 21, 2018, 11:02:43 AM
Cheers Dire Ear. That's the thing, I'm not sure what area I want to go down, hence I'm here looking for ideas. Its worked already as I never thought about engineering. What kind of salary are you talking after say 5 years experience?

Depends what sort of engineering you want to look at. Engineers (Design, Manufacturing, Project) after 5 years would be looking at anything between £30-45K depending on industry. Tyrone is booming engineering wise. But you'll have ground work to do if you don't already have a Engineering qualification. What are you doing at the minute? 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit