Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 29, 2022, 11:14:32 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 29, 2022, 10:41:39 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 29, 2022, 08:40:03 AM
Quote from: sdg on March 28, 2022, 07:27:43 PM
How many players will hang about after the monaghan game? I think  a few boys will head for the USA

U20 game,  u can only beat what's in front of u, but fermanagh were very poor . Tyrone will tell us about this years team.

If they do not stay around for the Taitleann they should never get a jersey again. We are handing senior jerseys out like confetti the past few years and although we are quick to hit the county board. No one seems to question the players. The hurlers don't seem to have an issue with the county board.

How would you know?

FWIW we're now almost into April and still no sign of an U15 development squad for the hurlers and last years was a waste of time. Three outings I think they had all in.

Currently our U17 and U20 hurlers haven't a clue where they're training and parents last week only found out the evening before that the U17's were to train in Ballykinlar and the lights are nowhere near sufficient to play hurling under and one coach told me it was a waste of time going there.
The senior hurlers train are Ok as they agreed to train in the Dub all winter so the CB booked them in there, so they'd committed to the traveling two, three times a week and are indeed getting player buy in but it's a big ask for a lot of these lads to sustain for any great length of time.

The county camogs with no executive in place are better run.

I don't know much about you or anyone else giving out about commitment levels asked of young lads, but unless you've tried it yourself then I suggest you wind it down giving out about this honour of playing for your county as honour doesn't pay your bills.

JC how is Ballykinlar viewed in the hurling community? If that is to be the home of our county teams is that not a lot of travelling for the players? Just on basis a lot of the players would be picked from across the lough - know the boat stops around 10:30 or so

Are we going to get into another debate on the base for the county teams ?

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 29, 2022, 11:18:45 AM
How many players will hang about after the monaghan game? I think  a few boys will head for the USA

U20 game,  u can only beat what's in front of u, but fermanagh were very poor . Tyrone will tell us about this years team.

If they do not stay around for the Taitleann they should never get a jersey again. We are handing senior jerseys out like confetti the past few years and although we are quick to hit the county board. No one seems to question the players. The hurlers don't seem to have an issue with the county board.

How would you know?

FWIW we're now almost into April and still no sign of an U15 development squad for the hurlers and last years was a waste of time. Three outings I think they had all in.

Currently our U17 and U20 hurlers haven't a clue where they're training and parents last week only found out the evening before that the U17's were to train in Ballykinlar and the lights are nowhere near sufficient to play hurling under and one coach told me it was a waste of time going there.
The senior hurlers train are Ok as they agreed to train in the Dub all winter so the CB booked them in there, so they'd committed to the traveling two, three times a week and are indeed getting player buy in but it's a big ask for a lot of these lads to sustain for any great length of time.

I don't know much about you or anyone else giving out about commitment levels asked of young lads, but unless you've tried it yourself then I suggest you wind it down giving out about this honour of playing for your county as honour doesn't pay your bills.

JC how is Ballykinlar viewed in the hurling community? If that is to be the home of our county teams is that not a lot of travelling for the players? Just on basis a lot of the players would be picked from across the lough - know the boat stops around 10:30 or so

Are we going to get into another debate on the base for the county teams ?

I'm not - all I'm wanting to know is the question I asked - Is it a crime to ask what hurlers think? They've spunked enough money about without changing location again

johnnycool

How would you know?

If they're going to build a jetty, that would be great.  ;D

Tom Murray's uncle can pick players up on the St Brendan and take them direct to Portaferry, a bit much asking him to drop our lads off a Cloghey all the same.

Don't think anyone in the Ards has an issue with Ballykinlar as a location, it's 20,25 minutes from Strangford, not the greatest last few miles of road, but nothing else than that.

MOD looking shot of that land, might as well turn it into something positive for the Gaels of Down.

Truth hurts

The roads can be improved going to Ballykinlar. I just wish the first sod was being turned on it.

Too many steps

Quote from: Ed Hardy on March 28, 2022, 09:21:37 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on March 28, 2022, 08:33:51 PM
Was there many of the Down players that started fri night v Fermanagh in the team that lost to Tyrone in the leo murphy?

Is Ryan Magill out injured? Anyone else due to come back in?

About 6 I think started on Friday night that also started v Tyrone in Leo Murphy.

Magill and McCusker were suspended for Fermanagh. Likely that they'll be back Saturday.

Don't think there's anyone else to come back and young Donegan was stretchered off he might be out Saturday.

Truth hurts

Looking at next weeks fixtures there is some great local matches which should start the season off well.

Bryansford welcome the all Ireland champions and will have to clap them onto the field . Does this be done in every game? Reports are that they are training well under Conor Deegan.

Division 3 will be extremely tight and the opening fixture between the Shamrocks and Drumgath could go a long way in determining who goes up.  I will take in the  Aughlisnafin and Bright game whcih should be a tasty affair. It will be good to see how Bright cope in this division but I am confident they can go well.

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 29, 2022, 12:37:35 PM
Looking at next weeks fixtures there is some great local matches which should start the season off well.

Bryansford welcome the all Ireland champions and will have to clap them onto the field . Does this be done in every game? Reports are that they are training well under Conor Deegan.

Division 3 will be extremely tight and the opening fixture between the Shamrocks and Drumgath could go a long way in determining who goes up.  I will take in the  Aughlisnafin and Bright game whcih should be a tasty affair. It will be good to see how Bright cope in this division but I am confident they can go well.
You'll get a look at Breanainn McComiskey then.

Lloyd p

Is it time for a new County Board in Down? Both Derry and Louth have went down this road in recent years and it has clearly paid off.

Truth hurts

And replace with who? If clubs want a new county board then nominate individuals in 8 months for the county convention. If clubs see these individuals fit then they will be elected. Clubs need to source candidates who are fit and willing to take on these jobs.
People do not want the hassle of them and the problem is in the county is that everyone is good at shouting but very few are willing to volunteer at both club and county. When you travel around clubs in the county, it is the same people doing the same tedious work, they do not do it for the glory. It's because no one else will do it.

Lloyd what people would you like to see on a new county board ?

I wonder who is on the podcast this week

MATTSARACEN

Was passing Zebedee's last night while out for an evening stroll, the window was open, I overheard that Kerr has left the Panel, any truth in the matter?
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Truth hurts

Quote from: MATTSARACEN on March 30, 2022, 10:08:29 AM
Was passing Zebedee's last night while out for an evening stroll, the window was open, I overheard that Kerr has left the Panel, any truth in the matter?

Kerr heading to the states

MATTSARACEN

Does he never get a jersey again?
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

ardtole

Big blow for Burren, I presume he will miss the club sfc.

Truth hurts

Quote from: ardtole on March 30, 2022, 11:27:30 AM
Big blow for Burren, I presume he will miss the club sfc.

A big blow but Burren have plenty of up and coming players from the successful underage teams to fill his place.

whitegoodman

Is the match on Saturday available to watch online ?