The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 19, 2019, 01:22:29 PM
Quote from: dec on March 19, 2019, 01:17:24 PM
The problem with McIlroy is that he is the wrong sort of Catholic.

To be a proper Fenian he is supposed to identify solely as Irish, have the tricolour as his flag and have nothing to do with any British or Northern Irish identity.

McIlroy doesn't fit into the proper box. Because of that, some deluded idiots get angry.

Which lad represents the island of Ireland better? Rory Mcilroy, who identifies as NI and doesn;t seem comfortable with all the trappings that a nationalist might prefer him to endorse, or Conor McGregor, a born and bred Dub who never misses an opportunity to wrap the green flag around himself?

And the poppy

Link

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 19, 2019, 01:22:29 PM
Quote from: dec on March 19, 2019, 01:17:24 PM
The problem with McIlroy is that he is the wrong sort of Catholic.

To be a proper Fenian he is supposed to identify solely as Irish, have the tricolour as his flag and have nothing to do with any British or Northern Irish identity.

McIlroy doesn't fit into the proper box. Because of that, some deluded idiots get angry.

Which lad represents the island of Ireland better? Rory Mcilroy, who identifies as NI and doesn;t seem comfortable with all the trappings that a nationalist might prefer him to endorse, or Conor McGregor, a born and bred Dub who never misses an opportunity to wrap the green flag around himself?

With all the allegations recently around McGregor outside the octagon, you could have picked another lad. Paddy H is 1000x a better representative of this island than McGregor.

Orior

Quote from: highorlow on March 19, 2019, 12:25:27 PM
QuoteOr maybe it's because he's seen first hand how much trouble it causes when you are identified as one or the other up where he comes from

So deny your heritage because your from "up there".

It angers most people because he appears to have been radicalized by some form of British imposed upbringing.

This is not a criticism, but he did say once that he doesn't feel Irish, and that's despite playing amateur golf for Ulster and playing amateur golf for Ireland, and despite his uncle playing for Armagh. Why is that? In my humble opinion, its because of the school he attended. It would have been very different if he had attended a different school.

And like many others, I try to watch every tournament he plays and am urging him on to win every time.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

TheOptimist

This thread is an embarrassment.

Orior

Milltown Row2

I used to think it was just superprods.. you know the stereotype, supports Linfield, rangers and had all of Wet Wet Wet albums!

Now we're all expected to love Celtic GAA and know all the republican songs!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2019, 10:06:15 PM
I used to think it was just superprods.. you know the stereotype, supports Linfield, rangers and had all of Wet Wet Wet albums!

Here f**k sake don't criticise Celtic whatever you do. You're nothing but a troll if you do that.

leaveherinsir

Anyway back to the golf. The final few holes were great viewing, with a host of players having a great chance to win.
I would not have fancied McIlroy given his recent relatively poor final round efforts, but you have to hand it to him the way he finished, especially the last 3 holes.
Golf needs him, particularly to show how a brilliant player can play so well at a decent pace.  There is an slow play problem and McIlroy should be used by the powers that be to highlight how the game should be played.

Orior

There's a huge difference between what you describe and simply rejecting your Irishness.

6th sam

First of all, Rory's entitled to do what he wants. Given the attitude of some "patriots" on this forum and elsewhere, it's no wonder he finds it difficult wrapping himself in the tricolour. He's been no.1in the world in a major (individual) sport , and I'm very proud of the fact that he's from Ireland . I've never met him Personally but know people close to him and I'm aware of his personal attributes and charitable support. Though I don't share his national affinity, I come from a different background with different influences and these are the things that mould us. North Down is not South Armagh. It's an affluent area which was mainly untouched by the troubles, and most people during the troubles Catholic and Protestant enjoyed a great quality of life in that area. I imagine his parents , despite a GAA background and family sectarian loss, made a decision to embrace North Down/Northern ireland , Exemplified by going to Sullivan Upper as opposed to a catholic grammar . As a top sportsman , he was probably a popular student and he was afforded opportunities at school and in the golf club , and the influences of that upbringing moulded him throughout his childhood.
Despite this upbringing some expect him to be wrapping himself in a tricolour and being overtly politically Irish . Knowing many catholic's from that neck of the woods , most tend to keep their head down politically and accept the many positives That  part of NI has to offer. McIlroy likes NI soccer team, Ulster Rugby and Carl Frampton. That's his affinity and much as I would like him to be a James McClean, his influences are different. I respect that , and delight in his success. Anybody that feels any antagonism towards him should explore his charitable impact, his down to earth personality, and delight in the fact that we've a superstar in our midst. PS I presume the comparison with mcgregor is tongue in cheek?

Orior

Quote from: 6th sam on March 19, 2019, 11:22:55 PM
First of all, Rory's entitled to do what he wants. Given the attitude of some "patriots" on this forum and elsewhere, it's no wonder he finds it difficult wrapping himself in the tricolour. He's been no.1in the world in a major (individual) sport , and I'm very proud of the fact that he's from Ireland . I've never met him Personally but know people close to him and I'm aware of his personal attributes and charitable support. Though I don't share his national affinity, I come from a different background with different influences and these are the things that mould us. North Down is not South Armagh. It's an affluent area which was mainly untouched by the troubles, and most people during the troubles Catholic and Protestant enjoyed a great quality of life in that area. I imagine his parents , despite a GAA background and family sectarian loss, made a decision to embrace North Down/Northern ireland , Exemplified by going to Sullivan Upper as opposed to a catholic grammar . As a top sportsman , he was probably a popular student and he was afforded opportunities at school and in the golf club , and the influences of that upbringing moulded him throughout his childhood.
Despite this upbringing some expect him to be wrapping himself in a tricolour and being overtly politically Irish . Knowing many catholic's from that neck of the woods , most tend to keep their head down politically and accept the many positives That  part of NI has to offer. McIlroy likes NI soccer team, Ulster Rugby and Carl Frampton. That's his affinity and much as I would like him to be a James McClean, his influences are different. I respect that , and delight in his success. Anybody that feels any antagonism towards him should explore his charitable impact, his down to earth personality, and delight in the fact that we've a superstar in our midst. PS I presume the comparison with mcgregor is tongue in cheek?

Good post. He will always be a hero in my book.

spuds

Quote from: Orior on March 19, 2019, 11:51:50 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on March 19, 2019, 11:22:55 PM

Good post. He will always be a hero in my book.

So if Rory gets on with life and all the trappings of the environment he was raised fair play to him but if us southerners do it we're free staters etc??
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

michaelg

Quote from: trailer on March 19, 2019, 10:22:10 PM

Here f**k sake don't criticise Celtic whatever you do. You're nothing but a troll if you do that.
No doubt the prevailing view on the Celtic thread would be that the Wolfe Tones song played at the boxing in New York, written about Celtic FC and including the line Up the Ra, was not sectarian.

Orior

Quote from: michaelg on March 20, 2019, 07:15:05 AM
Quote from: trailer on March 19, 2019, 10:22:10 PM

No doubt the prevailing view on the Celtic thread would be that the Wolfe Tones song played at the boxing in New York, written about Celtic FC and including the line Up the Ra, was not sectarian.

Did you run to your MP after watching the last episode of Alan Partridge?